Thank you to those who donated to Piano Society in 2017.

What works are you learning?

Discussion in 'Repertoire' started by joeisapiano, Aug 10, 2006.

1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Well that must be wrong, since I'm only 13. :lol: and that's my level :shock:

2. Nicole

Nicole New Member

Piano Teacher
    Home Page:
    Last Name:
    Muller
    First Name:
    Nichole
    In many competitions, etc., a 13-year-old, like yourself for example, will be permitted to compete in the class that is an age level above, if she is playing repertoire that is more suited to that age level. So yes, it would seem that you can take it as encouragement that your teacher finds your playing to be more akin to that of someone who is 14 than who is 13, I suppose.

Good luck on that day!

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Well, I'm studying Rhapsody in Blue, Chopin's Scherzo #2, and Rachmaninoff's Prelude in g minor (Op. 10 No. 5?)

I just started Chopin's Scherzo #3 and Beethoven's Tempest Sonata.

4. Terez

Terez New Member

Student
    Liszt called the second scherzo the "Governess Scherzo" because, so he says, every governess can play it well. :lol: Yeah right! This and his own 2nd Hungarian Rhapsody were the only pieces he refused every time in master classes.

5. Mozartiana

Mozartiana New Member

piano teacher
    Right now i am learning Bach's Toccata in C (second movement) originally written for organ, but transcribed by Busoni. I would need a few more fingers to reach all the notes so I have to decide what to leave out of the inner voices in order to reach the important ones. It's a challenge but a beautiful piece. I first heard it on Utube and fell in love with it.
    Mozartiana :wink:

6. fnork

fnork New Member

At the moment, I'm learning an entirely new program for a festival in Sweden where I will play this summer. What I'm working on now is:

Brahms - Variations and fugue on a theme by handel
    Nielsen - Chaconne
    Lutoslawski - Two studies
    Anders Nilsson - Five orchestral pieces for piano

and apart from the festival program, I'm learning Mozarts 23rd piano concerto and a lot of chamber music: Brahms violin sonata d minor, Sven-david Sandtröm piano trio no 2, and will soon start with Brittens Cello sonata in C. Quite a lot of things!

7. techneut

techneut Active Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    Ah, the Chaconne ! Such a wondrous and totally original work. I hope you can record it, it's about time we got Nielsen on the site. I've though about recording the Chaconne but it's so damn hard (for an amateur) and I've never sufficiently practiced it yet. Any other Nielsen on your roster ?

8. PJF

PJF New Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Fournet
    First Name:
    Pierre
    Chopin Scherzos 1 and 2 I dunno, these are quite a mess as is all my piano playing lately :x

Frustrated,
    Pete :evil:

9. demonic_advent

demonic_advent New Member

Last Name:
    Mansi
    First Name:
    Chris
    Technically speaking... I'm "supposed" to be learning the following:

For an upcoming arts festival at my school:
    Scriabin - Etude in C# Minor, Op. 2, Prelude No. 2, Op. 74
    Satie - Descriptiones Automatiques: Sur un Casque
    Accomponiment for a song from Spamalot that I'm singing with a friend.

The Scriabin is pretty easy... it's memorized and good to go. The Satie (suprisingly!) is actually giving me more trouble. It's of a much quicker pace than the Scriabin, and there are two sections where my left hand just doesn't want to play those 16 note figurations evenly...

THEN... I'm supposed to accompany a mass at a meeting of the archdioscese of Boston... which of course, I was only informed of the other day... and this mass is in less than 3 weeks... ... I have no clue how I'm gonna pull it off...

And then I have to learn Vivaldi's Sonata in A Minor for Piano + Viola, because a friend of mine (who plays viola) is having her senior recital in June, and wants me to play it with her.

... so now there's supposed to be no time for fun ...

But I still try to sneak in other things too, when practice starts to bore me...
    Chopin - Prelude in G Minor, Military Polonaise
    Scriabin - Etude in B Minor, op. 8, and the 9th piano sonata (pretty damn hard... not much fun actually...)
    Rachmaninoff - Prelude in B Minor

... but those are gonna take a while, since I'm supposed to be practicing the other stuff first ...

10. techneut

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    Hey cool ! Masses are fun :wink: Ever done something like that before ? Make sure you get at least one repetition with the choir (assuming a choir is involved). Also make sure tget sombody experienced to cue you when to play and stop.

11. demonic_advent

demonic_advent New Member

Last Name:
    Mansi
    First Name:
    Chris
    I've played incidental music at masses before... but that's about it. Also... we really can't call my school's music group a "choir" ... seeing as how my school is not known for the arts, and thus only has 5 members in it's chorus...

I really wish the archdiocese had picked a location other than our school... but I suppose I can't really do anything about that.

And I do have a conductor to direct me when to play... but she's rather clueless. I really don't trust her. And when she tries to conduct, she just flaps her arms around like a bird... she honestly looks like she could take off in flight at any moment...

12. techneut

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    Yah, that does sound like fun :lol:
    If nothing else, it will be character-building.

13. fnork

fnork New Member

great piece, indeed. difficult in many ways, as well - actually, there are a few spots that Leif Ove Andsnes simplifies in his recording, (in the "jumpy" variation before the coda) I will probably do the same.
    There's some really fine piano music by Nielsen but I haven't played anything else yet. There are some children pieces that are great (not too demanding either), and the Suite is very good also. Check out the Andsnes CD if you haven't heard it, it's great!

14. techneut

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    Chicken :wink:

That should be good. I have an old LP of John Ogdon playing all the major works. Pretty stunning too.

15. juufa72

juufa72 New Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Grocholski
    First Name:
    Julius
  16. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

This is an LP:

17. techneut

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    Yes !

18. PJF

Last Name:
    Fournet
    First Name:
    Pierre
  19. pianolady

pianolady Monica Hart, Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    Wow, Pete! Yes, there are a few ‘hairy’ spots, but you played more correct notes than incorrect by a mile. Good job. Won’t be much longer to get it totally polished.

And btw - I've never seen a file name like that. Hope that was you playing. Doesn't matter now, though, because I accidentally deleted it.

April Fools! :lol:

20. PJF

Last Name:
    Fournet
    First Name:
    Pierre
    Thanks, Monica! I agree, my performance needs a haircut. :lol:

Luckily, I play it from memory but unluckily, there's a few holes in it. Isn't it always helpful to record yourself? You know right away what needs practice.

I really love these Scherzos. No foolin'! :wink:

PF