Thank you to those who donated to Piano Society in 2017.

Six Late Intermezzi

Discussion in 'Submission Room' started by Franz Josef Streuff, May 1, 2009.

1. Franz Josef Streuff

Franz Josef Streuff New Member Piano Society Artist

retired teacher
    Last Name:
    Streuff
    First Name:
    Franz Josef
  2. techneut

techneut Active Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    @Francois, I have moved all 6 recordings to this one topic so it is easier for people to comment. And deleted the other 5 postings (there had been only one reply, so no big damage done).
    In future, if you upload items of a set, please attach multiple files to one posting.

I will listen to these later (bedtime now)

@Juufa, your comment about no.2 being your favorite got lost in this process.

3. juufa72

juufa72 New Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Grocholski
    First Name:
    Julius
    The story of my life: lost. :x

4. musicusblau

musicusblau Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

High-school-teacher with subjects music and german
    Last Name:
    Pfaul
    First Name:
    Andreas
    Dear Franz,
    I´m very happy to see all 6 of your Late Intermezzi here. :D I´ve just edited your Mozart and now it´s 00:52 and I should go to bed. Tomorrow I´ll listen to all pieces.

5. techneut

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    These are lovely pieces ! I like their wistful melodiousness a lot, and also their artless simplicity. It is good that people still care to write well-crafted and accessible piano music with good tunes. I liked no 4 and 6 best, also no.1.

Your playing is generally very good, but again there are a fair number of hesitations here, and stumbling noises before and after the playing, that had perhaps better be cut out. On one hand, these sort of add to the charm, on the other hand they will annoy on repeated listening. Please advise.

Actually I would really like to study and record this set, if you have the scores for them and would not mind another recording on the site.

6. musicusblau

Last Name:
    Pfaul
    First Name:
    Andreas
    Techneut wrote:
    I agree to all at hundert percent. When I visited Franz in the Easter-holdidays I have installed "Audacity" on his computer, but there is a problem: though I had installed the "lame-advice" it was not possible to save the files as mp3-files and so we couldn´t save and use the editings. I had shown to Franz how to make cuts, but it´s useless, if he can´t save his work. I think, next time I visit him, I´ll try a next attempt.
    But it will be a pleasure for me to edit the recordings of Franz and to cut off the noises at the beginning and at the end (and also to brush up the sound-quality) of these recordings and also in future. So, do you want me to edit these recordings, Chris? (I only ask you, if you´ll have the double work to replace the old ones.) For me it will be a pleasure.

Wow, that´s really great, Chris! I´m sure Franz will be very delighted to listen to a performance of his pieces by such an excellent pianist like you.
    Franz is on vacations now for one or two weeks (I don´t know exactly) and he is offline, so he can not answer during the next time.
    But I have nearly all works of Franz (he has printed most of them with his notation-program) and he said to me, that I´m allowed to give the score to pianists, who are interested in to play them. So, I´ll scan the scores and send them to you.

BTW, I have also recorded one piece of Franz and I´ll post it sooner or later.

7. musicusblau

Last Name:
    Pfaul
    First Name:
    Andreas
    Dear Franz,
    have my sincere congratulations to this splendid compositions and to the great achievement, that you have recorded the complete set! This is really enormous! And your playing is so musical, nice, deep and ripe. I like all these pieces and I hope, they will find still many pianists, who would like to play them. I´m very happy, that Chris makes a start and I´ll follow with other of your works after I´ve prepared my little recital in summer.

8. Franz Josef Streuff

retired teacher
    Last Name:
    Streuff
    First Name:
    Franz Josef
    HELLO Andreas, Thank you, too, for listening to and dealing with my Intermezzi and the Mozart variations. You edited them and cut out the noises and hesitations. Of course you cannot wipe out my silly mistakes, but you help a good deal to improve the quality. Very nice and kind of you! I do hope you succeed with the Chopin Scherzo. I will certainly listen to it. Viele GRüße,Franz.-

9. Franz Josef Streuff

retired teacher
    Last Name:
    Streuff
    First Name:
    Franz Josef
    TO TECHNEUT (third attempt to place my answer under messages) THANK YOU for your comments
    and listening to my intermezzi ( I know they are not wasy to listen to with so many insufficiencies)
    Normally I would not have dared to record my intermezzi in such bad quality. I am glad you are interested in them and intend to practise and record them: parts are easy other parts are trickier than you might think. I dedicated them to Slawomir Dobrzanski, a very good Polish pianist who lives and works in Manhattan (Kansas). He told me he would play them in concert, but so far he hasn't done it, may be later this year. In Germany three pianists have played some of my pieces either in concert or just at home. I think I will record the Mozart variations a second time later this year,not my Intermezzi, because I prefer them to be interpreted by you judging from various piano music you have recorded during the last months. So let me say Iam looking forward to your recording in the not too near future. Apart from playing the piano let me tell you it's a wonderful experience to recover when you are old and some capabilities are given to you for a second time even if they lack the freshness and carelessness of younger life. Best wishes, Francois.-

10. Rachfan

Rachfan Active Member Piano Society Artist

Chief Operating Officer, retired
    Last Name:
    April
    First Name:
    David
    Hi francois,

Congratulations on composing and performing this very fine set of pieces! I enjoyed hearing them all. Please forgive me if I do a little analysis, as musical styles have always intrigued me. Your music strikes me as being principally neo-romantic in style. It certainly offers lyrical melodies which are very ingratiating indeed. Yet, as a neo-romantic, you clearly adhere to some structural elements of classical style too which brings a sense of form and discipline to these compositions. Too, there are touches of modern style in the fresh dissonances that you introduce.

There are, of course, a number of neo-romantic composers in several countries today. But much of their music lacks the stylistic elements that you incorporate into your own music, as a way of effectively extending the Late Romantic traditions into our own time.

Thank you for sharing these pieces here at Piano Society.

David

11. Franz Josef Streuff

retired teacher
    Last Name:
    Streuff
    First Name:
    Franz Josef
    Six Late Intermezzi the whole lot?

Hello Chris Breemer, Let me add a few lines to my short letter of yesterday. Why should you practise and record all six of my intermezzi ? My experience was rather unpleasant. It would be fine if you chose one or two of them; you would sort of set yourself under an uneasy tension which is absolutely unnecessary. Your expereince will certainly be different from mine,but I would like to say for me it was laborious and nasty to guarantee the whole lot. You will make your choice.Whatever you decide will be perfectly all right. Best wishes -Francois.-

12. techneut

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    Re: Six Late Intermezzi the whole lot?

Hi Franz, I seem to have missed your first message.

I'd like to record all of these because (a) I like them, and (b) I like doing complete sets. If a composer writes a set of pieces then I always need to do them all, instead of cherry-pick some and dismiss others. I feel like I owe that to the composer, and it's not for me to decide that some items be left out. It is a strange tic that I have :wink:

It will be no great hardship to study and record this set, especially as you say you have confidence in the outcome. Indeed there are some unexpectedly tricky moments here and there, but nothing that can't be handled.

13. Franz Josef Streuff

retired teacher
    Last Name:
    Streuff
    First Name:
    Franz Josef
    TO RACHFAN, Very kind of you to comment on my intermezzi in such a noble way Certainly my intermezzi can be called neo-romantic. One of my pupils once said "Franz is hopelssly classical and romantic" He wanted to play pop and rock and I told him, "you better join a band, drums are absolutely necessary" I hope my intermezzi contain a certain personal character apart from being merely romantic. If so I would be content with the result. I love surprising steps in harmony.
    Thank you for your words-Francois.-