Thank you to those who donated to Piano Society in 2017.

Schubert Impromptu Op. 142 No 1, Lyadov Prelude Op.11, Ravel Jeux d'eau

Discussion in 'Submission Room' started by Vladimir Oppenheim, Jun 2, 2016.

1. Vladimir Oppenheim

Vladimir Oppenheim Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Concert Pianist, Teacher
    Home Page:
    Last Name:
    Oppenheim
    First Name:
    Vladimir
    Youtube:
    https://soundcloud.com/vladimiroppenheim
    Hello,

I am happy to share with you some of my recordings. Thanks for listening.
    Look forward to joining Piano Society.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 5, 2016
  2. Jan

Jan Member Piano Society Artist

teacher
    Home Page:
    Last Name:
    Bertram
    First Name:
    Jan
    Youtube:
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMpJwDjUguCQGsAAJQSBhTw
    Hello Vladimir,

thanks for sharing your recordings! I am just listening to your Ravel-recording. It seems to me you play this piece with a certain inner quietness, a relaxation of the soul that fits well with the atmosphere of the piece.

May I ask how you did this recording? (On what instrument, what recording device) – the recording sounds somehow old, and I guess you did not do any cuts (I thought I heard two wrong notes somewhere); maybe you could optimze the placement of your microfones as well.

With best wishes

Jan

3. Vladimir Oppenheim

Concert Pianist, Teacher
    Home Page:
    Last Name:
    Oppenheim
    First Name:
    Vladimir
    Youtube:
    Hello Jan,
    Thanks for listening & commenting on the recording. I did the recording on my upright Hamburg Steinway using digital recorder H4N, which has 2 built-in mics. I agree, experimenting with microphones can give better results. Recently, I bought a newer instrument, since I realized that my old Steinway has some problems. I thought that investing and renovating this instrument wouldn't be wise.

Best regards,
    Vladimir

4. andrew

andrew Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist

Home Page:
    Last Name:
    Wright
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Youtube:
    alkanliszt
    I wasn't that keen on the Ravel - it seemed well enough executed, but a bit slow and not as nimble as I would like (c.f. Argerich, Thibaudet, for example). Some passages are fine, but others seemed a little stodgy when I would prefer a playful lightness (this, of course, may be down to perceived interpretation rather than any objective view - I can't claim to have studied the piece in any great depth).

The Liadov I liked very much. I've not heard it before, and it seemed to be one of those very likeable Russian miniatures. The timbre complemented the music nicely.

5. Vladimir Oppenheim

Concert Pianist, Teacher
    Home Page:
    Last Name:
    Oppenheim
    First Name:
    Vladimir
    Youtube:
    Andrew, I am glad you liked Lyadov's recording. Indeed, there is a fortune of wonderful and less known pices of music like some pieces of Medtner, Arensky that are still to be discovered.
    Definitely, a different interpretation of Ravel can be interesting. Richter, for example plays it extremely fast, till the point that many nuances are missed, in my opinion.
    Thanks for sharing your thoughts.
    Best,
    Vladimir

6. Francois de Larrard

Francois de Larrard Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Researcher
    Home Page:
    Last Name:
    Larrard
    First Name:
    Francois de
    Hi Vladimir,
    I only listened Jeux d'Eau. As the others, I found it pretty good, although a little slow, but the articulation and the display of lead voices are very well done ! And, yes, the sound could be somewhat better. I guess we will hear your new piano in your next submissions. Still a Steinway or another mark ?
    Regards,

7. Vladimir Oppenheim

Concert Pianist, Teacher
    Home Page:
    Last Name:
    Oppenheim
    First Name:
    Vladimir
    Youtube:
    Hi Francois,
    Definitely, I will do my next recordings on a new Yamaha, and from my Steinway recordings I'll try to pick up those of a better audio quality.
    Thanks for your comment!
    Best regards,
    Vladimir

8. musicusblau

musicusblau Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

High-school-teacher with subjects music and german
    Last Name:
    Pfaul
    First Name:
    Andreas
    Hi Vladimir,
    since you have a prename as many famous pianists (f.ex. Horrowitz, Ashkenazy and others) we have to accept you on our site. ;)
    Seriously, I think, these are decent recordings, which are good enough for this site. Your Steinway piano is a bit out of tune, but it has the typical great bass like Steinway-pianos use to have. I know all three pieces quite well since I have played them myself, too. Here are my suggestions for improvement:
    In the Impromptu you could pay more attention to the use of pedal at some places and do more rubato here and there, play it with more romantic atmosphere! Jeux d´eaux should be played a bit faster, but I could enjoy it also in this very slow tempo, because you bring out some phrases very musically, as it was in the Liadow.
    Have a warm welcome to Pianosociety! I will upload these pieces soon to the mainsite and we need a biography of you. (You should watch some examples on our site to see how other members have done it, please.) Please, post it here in this thread, I will place it to your member profile.

9. Vladimir Oppenheim

Concert Pianist, Teacher
    Home Page:
    Last Name:
    Oppenheim
    First Name:
    Vladimir
    Youtube:
    Hi,
    This is a good news that I am happy to hear! Thanks for a welcoming letter! Yes, definitely, having a name Vladimir for pianist means being in a great company already :)
    I will soon post here my biography as you suggest.

Warm regards,
    Vladimir

10. Vladimir Oppenheim

Concert Pianist, Teacher
    Home Page:
    Last Name:
    Oppenheim
    First Name:
    Vladimir
    Youtube:
    Hi,
    Here is my Bio,
    please post it on Piano society site.
    Thanks,
    Vladimir

Bio of Vladimir Oppenheim, concert pianist and piano teacher

Pianist Vladimir Oppenheim performs as soloist throughout Canada, US & Israel.

His repertoire encompasses great classics and 20th century composers such as Beethoven, Rachmaninoff, Chopin, Scriabin, Ravel, Shostakovich, Messiaen, Bartok and others.

Vladimir made his first public appearance at the age of 11 playing Beethoven’s Piano Concerto No 1 when he was a student at Special Music School in Kharkov, Ukraine.

He has earned a Bachelor in Music in Piano performance from The Rubin Academy of Music in Jerusalem, Israel. Amongst Vladimir’s teachers, there were prominent pianists Boris Lvov & Michael Boguslavsky.

The years of studies at the Academy were devoted also to widening a piano repertoire. Vladimir received numerous acclaims for performances of Beethoven’s Piano Concerto No 2, Tchaikovsky’s No 1, and Rachmaninoff’s No 2 & 3 & Ravel's Piano Concerto for Left Hand.

As of late, Vladimir has continued his studies with pianist Gregory Haimovsky in New York, who himself was a pupil of a wonderful pianist Yakov Zak from Moscow conservatory.

Currently Vladimir Oppenheim lives in Toronto, Canada. In addition to a career as a concert pianist, Vladimir is also a piano teacher.