Thank you to those who donated to Piano Society in 2017.

Rondo

Discussion in 'Submission Room' started by Franz Josef Streuff, Sep 1, 2008.

1. Franz Josef Streuff

Franz Josef Streuff New Member Piano Society Artist

retired teacher
    Last Name:
    Streuff
    First Name:
    Franz Josef
    This is a Rondo in traditional style. As a student I would not have dared to compose in this way, making use of traditional harmony and form. I felt obliged to write in style of the 20th century. Now I don't care, I feel free and independant. I'm not afraid of critics as long as I enjoy the music myself.
    Half of my piano music is written in a freetonal manner, the other half, I confess, is connected to music of the 19th century.

Streuff - Rondo

2. musicusblau

musicusblau Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

High-school-teacher with subjects music and german
    Last Name:
    Pfaul
    First Name:
    Andreas
    Very nice piece with interesting harmonic and melodic moments. Very expressively and sensitively played. This piece is really beautiful. It´s full of sincere emotion. Congratulations!

I did some editing with my recording-program on my computer. I did some normalization of the waves, put a bit reverb to it and did some noise-reduction-functions for deleting a bit the little noises, which seem to come from outside (or a basket-chair?). If you like you can listen to it by clicking on the download-button in this field and tell me your opinion about my sound-editing. I also cut off a bit from the begining and the end (of course, not of the music :wink: ).

3. juufa72

juufa72 New Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Grocholski
    First Name:
    Julius
    :D Felt like dancing--sort of.

4. mgasilva

mgasilva New Member

Physician
    Well done

Very nice playing and composition.

It reminded me of a music box song.

Very nice indeed.

Marcelo

5. musicusblau

Last Name:
    Pfaul
    First Name:
    Andreas
    Hello Franz,
    I have a computer-program to edit sound-files like mp3´s . I can do some noise-reduction f.ex and make the music louder by doing a "normalization" of the waves. This means the program finds the loudest place and makes all waves up to an optimized level. I also can do some equalization, but I didn´t do this on your recording. On your recording I only did noise-reduction and normalization. That was all. Not too much work for me. :wink: I´m happy you like my edition.

6. mgasilva

mgasilva New Member

Physician
    Score

Hello, François!

I hope you don't find it impolite that I ask for the score, but I really liked your Rondo.

So, have you written it down?

Marcelo

7. techneut

techneut Active Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    A cute piece, if not as individual as your other compositions. I have to say that IMO it really outstays its welcome. Far too long, in other words, for its slight content. Towards the end there seemed to be some wrong harmonics here and there, and it did not seem to quite know how to end. I think this piece would benefit from some careful pruning.

8. pianolady

pianolady Monica Hart, Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    Andreas - this is probably a dumb question, but when you say 'normalization' and it brings all the waves up, does this mean that all the dynamics are gone - there is no more loud and soft? Or do you still hear differences?

9. Franz Josef Streuff

retired teacher
    Last Name:
    Streuff
    First Name:
    Franz Josef
    Hello Andreas, let me tell you immediately how much you improved the sound quality of my recording of the Rondo. The sound is no longer as poor, as it was before, every note has become clearer and more brilliant. How did you achieve this? Compared to the original sound the whole rondo now spreads a fuller sonority. Thank you indeed! Frankly speaking I had been disappointed about the sound quality of .mp3. I now listen to my recording with much more pleasure. Also the noises have disappeared. You have made me curious.

10. Franz Josef Streuff

retired teacher
    Last Name:
    Streuff
    First Name:
    Franz Josef
    To mgasilva
    I will send you the score of my rondo, but not immediately. I will be on holiday till Sept.20th. After that I will contact you again.

11. Franz Josef Streuff

retired teacher
    Last Name:
    Streuff
    First Name:
    Franz Josef
    edited rondo

To site-administrators
    If you intend to put up my rondo, please take the edited version r o n d o 7 6 7, edited.mp3 by musicusblau. It really sounds better. Thank you. (But maybe you don't want to!?) I think I'll do it over again (after Sept.2oth when I will be back from my holidays).

12. pianolady

pianolady Monica Hart, Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    Ok, I have put this up on the site. We can always replace it with a newer version if you ever come back to the piece and make changes.

13. musicusblau

Last Name:
    Pfaul
    First Name:
    Andreas
    Hi Monica,
    I´m really sorry, that I overlooked this question. :oops: After having replied to your pm I will give an answer here also for the others, in the case this would be of a common interest.
    Pianolady wrote:
    There are no dumb questions, there are only dumb answers. :wink: :lol:

Pianolady wrote:
    Well, I will try my best to answer. I´m not a real profi concerning these questions, but if you make use of the normalization-function the program calculates an optimal peak-level for the loudest point in the piece, that means for the highest peak of the waves in the piece. It adapts (fits on) also the lower peaks, that means the passages, which are not so loud, but more silent. In summary the range of the waves and the volume increases. You can hear better the differences between piano and forte, because in summary the peaks of the waves are higher and the range between the lower and the higher peaks is bigger than before. I have to admit, this is my personal explanation for phenomenon and I´m sure a real profi concerning recording-technique (like Didier f.ex.) will be able to give an exacter one.

14. pianolady

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    Ok, thanks, Andreas.

Turns out I have this function on Wavepad and tried it out on an old recording of mine. So I guess we should do this to all of our recordings, right? Is that what you do?

15. musicusblau

Last Name:
    Pfaul
    First Name:
    Andreas
    Pianolady wrote:
    Usually I put my mixing-console to an optimal level, so that it is not necessary to normalize the waves. It´s better you record with the optimal input-level than to normalize your recording later by editing. Of course, it needs some time to find out the optimal recording-level, so that you have no distorsions. You should play the loudest chord or tone of your piece and see, that the peak-level is not in the red area. If you don´t have the time to find out the optimal recording-level, it´s better to record with a lower one and to do the normalization later by editing. If you record with a level, which is too high, you´ll have distorsions.