Thank you to those who donated to Piano Society in 2017.

Ravel - Ma Mère l'Oye, complete (4 hands)

Discussion in 'Submission Room' started by François Micol, Mar 9, 2008.

1. François Micol

François Micol New Member

Last Name:
    Micol
    First Name:
    Francois
    Hello everyone! Here's a little something which I've been meaning to submit for some time. Ravel's one of my favourite composers, and I've always found this little four-hand suite to be quite delightful and interesting despite its apparent simplicity.

This was recorded live at a concert in a music library on June 15th, 2007. Livia Naas, a former fellow student at the conservatory and, incidentally, one of my closest friends, played the top part and I played the bottom. If the recordings go up on the site, she'd like her name mentioned. :)

Ravel - Ma Mere l'Oye, I. Pavane de la Belle au bois dormant
    Ravel - Ma Mere l'Oye, II. Le petit poucet
    Ravel - Ma Mere l'Oye, III. Laideronnette, impiratrice des Pagodes
    Ravel - Ma Mere l'Oye, IV. Les entretiens de la Belle et de la Bete
    Ravel - Ma Mere l'Oye, V. Le jardin fierique

2. musicusblau

musicusblau Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

High-school-teacher with subjects music and german
    Last Name:
    Pfaul
    First Name:
    Andreas
    A great pleasure to hear to your records. I think, it´s very well and expressively played. Great job! I like the french impressionists and especially Ravel and Debussy. I like also to play fourhands and know, how difficult it is sometimes, to play exactly together. So, although I haven´t the score of this wonderful piece, I think, you played well together.
    Thank you very much for sharing!

3. robert

robert Active Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Home Page:
    Last Name:
    Stahlbrand
    First Name:
    Robert
    This is very good indeed and I have put up the complete set on the site along with your and Livia's name.

It is a colorful recording, painting the portrait of the music. Ravel dedicated this work for four hands to the Godebski children, Mimi and Jean, ages 6 and 7 and I think the childish naturalnesses is the beauty of it and you two make it much justice. You seem to have played a lot together as I can hear very little problem with synchronization.

I am not sure Ravel would be pleased by being referred to as an impressionist. At least that is what I have read but whether he like or not, he is for sure in that area.

4. musicusblau

musicusblau Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

High-school-teacher with subjects music and german
    Last Name:
    Pfaul
    First Name:
    Andreas
    Robert wrote:
    Certainly you are right with Ravels subjective sensation concerning the categorisation of "impressionist", but officially he is categorized like this, together with Debussy.

5. François Micol

François Micol New Member

Last Name:
    Micol
    First Name:
    Francois
    Officially? But who decides such things? Debussy himself said something about "the imbeciles who say my music is impressionistic"!

Granted, he was a bit of a blunt man, and composer's opinions on their own works shouldn't always be taken as definitive truth; but still, I wouldn't force a label upon a dead composer against their wish. If we absolutely have to label Debussy, though, I'd say he's more of a symbolist. Debussy's music and Ravel's music are very different from one another- Ravel is definitely much closer to impressionism or post-impressionism, but I don't know if he expressed any opinion on those labels during his lifetime. ;)

Well, um. :roll:

For the whole one week we had to learn and rehearse the pieces, yes, we certainly did! :D

Thanks for the replies and thanks for putting these up on the site, Robert.