Thank you to those who donated to Piano Society in 2017.

Ragtime remastered II

Discussion in 'Submission Room' started by wiser_guy, Oct 16, 2008.

1. wiser_guy

wiser_guy Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

System Software Engineer
    Last Name:
    Assimakopoulos
    First Name:
    Pantelis
    This is the second (and last) part of a recording held for a radio program. As I noted in the earlier post, the sound quality is somewhat compromised (wouldn't recommend their sound engineer) but I did my best to get it to an acceptable level.

The remaining pieces are: "Honey Moon Rag" by James Scott, "The Black Cat Rag" a true rarity this one by Frank Wooster & Ethyl B. Smith. Also two Joplin rags, "Felicity Rag" and the infamous "Elite Syncopations".

But that's not all, there are bonus tracks as well. Since the tape was rolling during the sound checks, here are my warm-ups: Bach "Invention No. 8 in F major, BWV 779", a Chopin "Etude in G-flat major Op. 25 No. 9" and a Debussy prelude (Book 1) "La fille aux cheveux de lin".

Enjoy the music.

Joplin - Elite Syncopations

Joplin - Felicity Rag

Scott - Honeymoon Rag

Wooster & Smith - Black Cat Rag

Chopin - Etude in G-flat major, Op. 25, no. 9

Bach - Invention No. 8 in F Major, BWV 779

Debussy - La fille aux cheveux de lin

2. pianolady

pianolady Monica Hart, Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    I have put up the four Rags. They all sound very nice. I have never heard that Scott piece, before, but you can sure tell that he studied with Joplin. The Wooster & Smith rag is in the 'various composers' category.

Regarding your other recordings here - your 'warm up' pieces. Do you want these on the site, as well? The Chopin etude I think is very good. You are so steady here - like your rag playing. The Bach piece sounds fine to me too, although I am no Bach expert. The Debussy piece - again, sounds nice, although in my opinion, your steady playing is a little too steady on this one. It could use a little more ebb and flow. Still, over all very nice and I think it is interesting to hear you and our other members play this, as it seems to offer a small glimpse onto everyone's personalities.

3. wiser_guy

System Software Engineer
    Last Name:
    Assimakopoulos
    First Name:
    Pantelis
    Monica, thanks for taking the time to listen.

Yes, that's why I included them. As long as you find them suitable sound-wise and there is no performance problems, yes, by all means.

Wow, you got me fairly alarmed here. I didn't know this prelude was a personality assessment tool. I hope you are not holding any dark findings on me after this. Are there any other pieces serving the same purpose?

4. pianolady

pianolady Monica Hart, Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    Ok, the rest of these are up, now.

Sorry – didn’t mean to alarm you. That’s just my weirdness speaking. I think I can hear a person’s personality in their playing. And for some reason, it is especially clear in this piece. You will see there are now seven recordings of it on the site, and in the ones played by members I know, I think their playing fits their personality. I know it’s strange. But have no fear, I don’t read anything negative about you in your playing. To me, I think you must be a man who is sure of himself and has a calm demeanor, but at the same time is serious-minded. Am I close?

As far as other pieces go - another member recently brought up something a few us did a year or so ago. We picked out of piece that we had not seriously studied before, and then we all learned it and recorded it to see how each of us interpreted the music. And again, you can hear each person's personality coming out. Kind of neat, isn't it?

p.s. please check all links.

5. techneut

techneut Active Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    It never before occurred to me how much Chopin's Op.25 No.9 sounds like ragtime :p
    A good performance though a bit short on poetry - where's the butterfly ? I did not like the accelerando towards the end. There were a couple of wrong notes which probably could have been avoided.
    The Bach Invention seems a bit staid and over-reverberant, although there's nothing really wrong with it.
    The Debussy is very calm, cool, and collected. You have a tendency to accent the lowest not of the downward notes, apart from that a very good performance. It could perhaps be a bit more rapt and less literal.

The rags find you very much on home territory. I am no expert on this music (or any other, for that matter :lol: ) but they sound darn good to me. Perhaps not the last word in digital accuracy, but they capture the spirit admirably.

6. wiser_guy

System Software Engineer
    Last Name:
    Assimakopoulos
    First Name:
    Pantelis
    @monica
    And you call this a small glimpse?

This would be very interesting indeed. And highly creative for anyone taking part. Consider me in if and when you do this again.

@chris
    You've got a way with comments. That's for sure. The objective reviewer's feel. This means you either listen very carefully or you got a natural talent. You are right and to the point in everything you noticed.

You know, I've never felt like a classical pianist. As a matter of fact, I've never been one officially. When I play classical pieces, I always think myself as an intruder in the classical artists' club. An outsider. An invader in their ranks.
    But then again, the exceptional music of Bach, Chopin, Mozart and their sense of musical freedom drives me to try my own shot. Sometimes immature or unrefined or against the 'politically correct' but nevertheless, my own.

Thanks for listening. I am having a great time with you guys.

7. techneut

techneut Active Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    Both, actually :D

That's good to hear. I hope you'll stay on.

8. musicusblau

musicusblau Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

High-school-teacher with subjects music and german
    Last Name:
    Pfaul
    First Name:
    Andreas
    I listened to your ragtimes and your Bach-invention.
    I like your ragtimes. They have an adequate tempo, I think. From a "standard view" there is nothing to say against your Bach-playing. It´s very accurate (besides a very little slip in bar 15), but from my view it could have more expression (ideas concerning articulation, may be dynamics).
    The sound-quality of your recordings is nice.

9. wiser_guy

System Software Engineer
    Last Name:
    Assimakopoulos
    First Name:
    Pantelis
    Thanks for listening musicusblau. I appreciate your comments.

And you're right, the Invention is a rather flat performance, isn't it?
    You know, I usually play the Inventions (this one in F major, D minor, A minor and E major being my favourites) as exercises. I take a deep breath and play from beginning to end. Like 'musical pills'. Bach puts so much music in very small space, you can literally fill yourself up with musical energy after a few bars. Chopin's etudes have a similar 'energiser' effect but are more difficult to play and keep always handy.
    I guess if I play Bach in the context of a performance, I will adopt a more meticulous approach.

10. musicusblau

musicusblau Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

High-school-teacher with subjects music and german
    Last Name:
    Pfaul
    First Name:
    Andreas
    wiser_guy wrote:
    I agree, but somehow I only still seldom warm me up with etudes. I mostly warm me up with the pieces I practise.