Thank you to those who donated to Piano Society in 2017.

Puzzles, Jokes, Anecdotes, and Thoughts

Discussion in 'General' started by pianolady, Dec 14, 2007.

1. juufa72

juufa72 New Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Grocholski
    First Name:
    Julius
    Especially for a non-native English speaker! He should receive .0002 points!

Here is something to ponder:

Do nihilists accept absolute zero?

2. Terez

Terez New Member

Student
    Yay!
    It wasn't incorrect, really, any more than your answer was. Because if Volume 1 were on the right, you would be correct, and Olaf would also be correct if at the same time a bit nitpicky. :lol:

3. rsmullyan

rsmullyan New Member Piano Society Artist

Mathematician, Musician, Magician & Author
    Last Name:
    Smullyan
    First Name:
    Raymond
    For the bookworm problem, I am assuming that the books are in the normal position, in which Volume 1 is to the left of Volume 2, in which case the 1st page of Volume 1 is separated from the last page of Volume 2 only by two book covers! And so the answer is one- half an inch (as some of you have already realized), not 4.5 inches, which is the usual answer. But as Terez correctly pointed out , if Vol. 1 were to the right of Vol. 2, then the answer would be 4.5 inches. Terez was also right in that in the statement of the problem, I should have said that the two volumes were in the normal position in that Vol.1 was to the left of Vol.2.

Here is another one, perhaps too simple: A certain draw contains 24 blue socks and 24 red socks .Someone goes into the room where the draw is, but the room is dark. What is the minimum number of socks she must take out of the draw to be sure that she has two socks of the same color? [Answer given next time.]

4. demonic_advent

demonic_advent New Member

Last Name:
    Mansi
    First Name:
    Chris
    :shock: uhhh... would the answer be 3 socks? Because if you draw the first, it's either red or blue... then the second could be the same as the first, or different. Then the 3rd would automatically match one of the two picked originally.

:idea: Oh... and Nihilists don't believe in absolute zero, because they believe the universe has no absolute constants!

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Instinctively i'll say 25 - the chances of the first 24 being all of the same colour are extremely remote, but to be certain.......

6. demonic_advent

Last Name:
    Mansi
    First Name:
    Chris
    But wasn't the point to have them all as the same color?

7. robert

robert Active Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Home Page:
    Last Name:
    Stahlbrand
    First Name:
    Robert
    In most people's closets, the socks are organized in pairs or it would be a hell every morning to find a matching pair right? In that case, it would be sufficient to only take out one pair (assuming again that the organizer of the closet pair them in colors from the beginning), so to speak two socks.

However, I believe that we should not involve people's habits in the riddle, so the answer is already given by demonic_advent namely 3 socks.

(...and what is a Nihilists? It is not in any of my lexicons...)

8. pianolady

pianolady Monica Hart, Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    Along with demonic and Robert and three socks - 'I concur'. (I've always wanted to say that :lol: )

9. juufa72

juufa72 New Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Grocholski
    First Name:
    Julius
    As defined by the warmonger search engine (google):

Nihilism
    the belief that there is no universal truth or underlying reality that undergirds moral values; that ultimately existence is meaningless. From the Latin "nihil" or "nothing".

Now do you get the joke :wink:

10. robert

Home Page:
    Last Name:
    Stahlbrand
    First Name:
    Robert
    In that case, the Nihilist will respond that the question is irrelevant :).

11. MindenBlues

MindenBlues New Member Piano Society Artist

Home Page:
    Last Name:
    Schmidt
    First Name:
    Olaf
    Thanks much, that are more points as expected! :lol:

12. rsmullyan

Last Name:
    Smullyan
    First Name:
    Raymond
    As some of you have coreectly said,the answer to the problem of the 24 blue and 24 red socks is 3, not 25! Since there are not 3 different colors, then given 3 socks, at least two of them must be of the same color.
    If I had asked what is the smallest number of socks one must draw to be sure of getting at least two of DIFFERENT colors, then the answer would be 25.

I am reminded of a joke: A man meets a friend on the street and says: "Do you realize that you are wearing one black shoe and one brown shoe?' The friend replies;' That's interesting. I have another pair just like it at home."

Now for another puzzle: A certain convention hosted 100 politicians. Some were honest and some were crooked. A statistician observed that whichever two were picked at random, at least one of them was crooked. From this, can it be determined exactly how many are honest and how many are crooked? [Answer next time.]

13. robert

Home Page:
    Last Name:
    Stahlbrand
    First Name:
    Robert
    The most obvious answer would be that 99 were crooked and 1 was honest as if it was 100% certain that whatever pair he picked, at least one was crooked there could not be more than 1 honest. If there were two honest, they could be picked at the same time.

What I don't like about my answer is how you put it when you say "some were honest". Were indicates plural which means that there should be more than 1. However, I am not sure we should involve grammar in the riddles.

By the way, I would not like to live in that country...possible I might already do ;).

14. demonic_advent

Last Name:
    Mansi
    First Name:
    Chris
    It can't be determined... because if we only know that one of the two is crooked, then we don't know what the other is. He could be either. Thus, it's impossible to find an exact number.

15. rsmullyan

Last Name:
    Smullyan
    First Name:
    Raymond
    Demonic Advent

I can assure you that it CAN be determined!

16. MindenBlues

MindenBlues New Member Piano Society Artist

Home Page:
    Last Name:
    Schmidt
    First Name:
    Olaf
    So you gave already the correct answer - since you asked only whether it can be determined or not (but you did not ask how many were crooked). :p

17. rsmullyan

Last Name:
    Smullyan
    First Name:
    Raymond
    But I have not yet proved that it can be determined. Anyhow, let me rephrase the question: How many were honest and how many were crooked?

18. bclever

bclever New Member

Well Robert, your problem is only HYPOTHETICALLY solvable since the very premise of there being an honest politician must also be assumed to be hypothetical. So, hypothetically speaking the answer is that there is exactly one hypothetically honest politician in the group. If there were more
    than one, then a pair could be formed that did NOT have a crooked politician, hypothetically speaking of course.

By the way, not hypothetically speaking I thoroughly enjoyed your Bach on youtube.

19. pianolady

pianolady Monica Hart, Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    I'm confused. Raymond - has this been solved already?

20. techneut

techneut Active Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    Robert already gave and explained the correct answer - as did bclever after him. Somehow, correct answers tend to get lost in this thread :?