Thank you to those who donated to Piano Society in 2017.

Piano society: all the pianists at the same work

Discussion in 'Repertoire' started by Anonymous, Jul 6, 2007.

1. techneut

techneut Active Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    I am going to pass on this one, for two reasons:

1) I am too biased about this piece. I have known it since I was a toddler, probably before I knew any real piano music. My late grandmother had a lovely Swiss music box (which is now in my possession) and this is one of the tunes on it. Whenever we went there, first thing I did was run upstairs, wind the music box and sit there in rapt wonder. It still it is a very sentimental sound to me, and I just can't envisage this music to sound any other than this. Attached is a picture of the music box (on the on the beautifully handwritten chart, it's the title at the bottom), and a recording of it playing this tune. The noise at the end is the cylinder slotting back into its initial position (of course that was part of the fascination as well).

2) I do not believe this is an original piano composition. I have played through the version that juufa posted but it seems to me like a rather crude and boring transcription. Could be wrong about it, but playing it gave me no satisfaction.

But y'all have fun with it ! At least you now know what it should sound like :wink:

2. juufa72

juufa72 New Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Grocholski
    First Name:
    Julius
    That's a neat music box. Looks very pretty. A friend of my from the Netherlands bought a music box here for his first child (expecting in 3 weeks) and it showcases "Le Vie en rose".

I checked all over the internet for the composition format of Weber's Last [Musical] Thought and I commonly saw that it was for the piano.

3. techneut

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    I only checked Google :wink:
    And found no evidence for it being original. Yes it's available for piano, but so is just about every popular tune written in the 19th century. Anyway, I may still be wrong.

4. pianolady

pianolady Monica Hart, Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    I love those kind of music boxes! My dad has one that used to be his mother's, except it's a wooden cabinet that plays large metal 'records' that are about a foot and half wide. I'm hoping to inherit it if I can beat my sister to it.

p.s. Yikes! the tempo is a lot faster than I expected. :shock:

5. Chaotica

Chaotica New Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Lebenstedt
    First Name:
    Jan-Felix
    According to my Schott book, this transcription is by Carl Gottlieb Reißiger. And according to this site, it's rather not original:
    I know this kind of game from another (German) piano forum. I didn't participate there, but I find it's a good idea and a change from the usual evaluating of recordings and such. :)

6. juufa72

Last Name:
    Grocholski
    First Name:
    Julius

I think Mr. Techneut's box is on speed.

If that is Andante, then there is no way our ears could distinguish each note at a presto tempo (following the respective metronome increase).

7. techneut

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    Well that depends much on how far I dare to wind the spring. I was always told not to overdo it for fear of damage.

8. juufa72

Last Name:
    Grocholski
    First Name:
    Julius
    This would have been fun to hear:

(Each person with one variation and then compiled to one continous track....sort of like the "telephone" game I used to play when I was a little kid)

9. PJF

PJF New Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Fournet
    First Name:
    Pierre
    Yeah, I find the piece (weber's last thought) a bit contrived, too. I still haven't listened to anyone else's version. I'll have to play it in a way to make it different, somehow.

Pete