Thank you to those who donated to Piano Society in 2017.

more Tchaikovsky opus 72

Discussion in 'Submission Room' started by StuKautsch, May 31, 2015.

1. StuKautsch

StuKautsch Member Piano Society Artist

Software Developer
    Last Name:
    Kautsch
    First Name:
    Stewart
    Two more: #5, Meditation, and #14 Chant Elegiaque. (Sorry, I don't know how to make the accent aigue's.)

Petroff 5'10", lid up, very light reverb added with Audacity 2.0.4 for Windows.

I know it's been a while since I posted - I'll have a few more recordings (different composers) in the next week or two as soon as I have time for editing.

Tchaikovsky - Op. 72, No. 5 "Meditation"

Tchaikovsky - Op. 72, No. 14 "Chant Elegiaque"

2. pianolady

pianolady Monica Hart, Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    Very nice, Stu! You really have a nice way of playing these Tchaikovsky pieces.

I know no. 5, but I have not heard no. 14 before. I like them both. I think I heard part of Liszt's Liebestraum in no. 14. Neato!!
    Anyway, these are up on the site.

3. StuKautsch

Software Developer
    Last Name:
    Kautsch
    First Name:
    Stewart
    Thanks, Monica. Yes, #14 reminds me of the Liebestraum, especially the second half.
    I'm going to try playing that half as the exit music at church sometime this summer.

4. techneut

techneut Active Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    We seem to have a nice influx of quality recordings recently. Good to see there are some people still committed to contributing to PS.
    Good job as always Stu. I love no.5 and know it well, no.14 a bit less so. There is not much to criticize but if you wanted to make no.5 even better and more meditative I would suggest thinking more of the long line, taking your time over the descending 3-note groups (they seem ever so slightly too brisk to me), and maybe a little more bravura in the octave loops. The only thing that bothered me was the wrong minor note at 3:12, in the bar before the Piu animato. Not sure it that was a read error or just a slip.
    Your Petrof has a nice homely sound to it, not unlike my Gaveau. I think it suits Tchaikovsky well.
    Can't remember if you were planning to complete this set ? If not, I will understand - nos. 7, 10 and 18 are real bastards.

5. troglodyte

troglodyte Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Professor
    Last Name:
    Parrow
    First Name:
    Joachim
    Indeed very pleasant to listen to! The comparison with Liszt is inevitable, and sometimes it feels as if the composer really wanted a whole orchestra. Well done!

Joachim

6. StuKautsch

Software Developer
    Last Name:
    Kautsch
    First Name:
    Stewart
    Thanks, Chris. Yes, it was a slip, but I felt that I would never get a better 'take' than that.

As for the opus, I will give it the "old college try", but a couple of them will need years of practice and may need to be memorized - I see no spots for page turns or pastes. I'll probably turn #10 into a "hobby" piece and just see how it goes. Anyway, there are still a couple of accessible numbers left.

Maybe I'll look into software that allows for a score to scroll at a preset pace. I've heard this exists now, and would be useful for #10. I'm not dead set against memorization, but if I'm not going to perform a piece I just don't feel like making the effort.

7. techneut

techneut Active Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    I basically like no. 10, but it's very difficult and it just goes on and on and on. Tchaikovsky should really have pruned that one... It would have been fine at half the size, with no loss of material at all. Yeah you really need a page turner there :wink: