Thank you to those who donated to Piano Society in 2017.

Mompou - Preludes 11 and 12

Discussion in 'Submission Room' started by pianolady, Aug 18, 2013.

1. cmudave1125

cmudave1125 New Member

Pianist; Financial Advisor
    Home Page:
    Hi Monica,

Wow. Really liked Prelude 11. Made me think of sitting around with a bunch of my old friends, drinking a glass of wine and enjoying a quiet evening of conversation. Prelude 12 on the other hand - a little bit tense. I enjoyed listening to it...or perhaps "enjoyed" is the wrong word. At any rate, it was an effective (to my mind) performance as it created a reaction in me. I will be sharing this recording with my friend who is an independent film-maker to get her reaction. I think she will be blown away.

2. pianolady

pianolady Monica Hart, Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    Hi David, it's nice to see you again! :)
    That's interesting...I like learning what people think of when they hear certain music. I hope your friend likes this music too!

3. cmudave1125

cmudave1125 New Member

Pianist; Financial Advisor
    Home Page:
    Monica,

Just heard back from my filmmaker friend on Prelude 12. She agrees with the "tense, creepy" assessment. She also said "i like it! im sure i could use this somewhere down the line :)" I may have to put her in touch with you to record for her at some point :)

4. Francois de Larrard

Francois de Larrard Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Researcher
    Home Page:
    Last Name:
    Larrard
    First Name:
    Francois de
    Hello Monica,
    I've just heard your two preludes. Beautiful pieces, especially #12 which sounds more modern and post-tonal that I would have expected for Mompou (but I'm far to have a good knowledge of this composer). Thanks a lot for this very classy and noble interpretation !

5. pianolady

pianolady Monica Hart, Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    Thank you, Francois! :)

6. hreichgott

hreichgott New Member

I enjoyed these very much, especially no. 12. Makes me think of a walk in the rain with inadequate streetlights. In a good way.

7. pianolady

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    Thank you, Heather! :)

8. musicrecovery

musicrecovery Member Piano Society Artist

Special Ed/Music Teacher NYC (Retired)
    Home Page:
    Last Name:
    Rochelle
    First Name:
    Kaila
    Hi Monica,

The Prelude No.11 was very interesting. The pacing was great, the consistency of the
    melodic line was really focused and well expressed. The inner harmonies were emotionally
    satisfying. Thank you for sharing such a well thought out performance. The piece stayed with
    me after hearing it.

The Cantabile has that 20th century mood of gloom melded with a romanticism with illusions
    towards hope. You did a beautiful job conveying both sides of this piece and the resolutions and
    dissonance were both executed with meaning. The dynamics were truly effective. Congratulations
    Monica. Your playing also sounded rich, especially in the Prelude No. 12.

Much appreciation,
    Kaila

9. pianolady

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    Hi Kaila,
    Thank you very much! :D Mompou is easy to get lost in, so I love playing his music.

10. nubbins

nubbins New Member

Can someone please tell me who sells the sheet music to Mompou's 11th and 12th Preludes? No one online seems to offer these for sale and no copies are available in my local university music libraries (Dallas area). I already have Preludes 1-10, but hunting down the music to the last two has been very frustrating.

11. pianolady

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    Well, as you can see in my earlier post, I found the preludes.