Thank you to those who donated to Piano Society in 2017.

Liszt, Consolation No.3 - Lento placido in D-flat major

Discussion in 'Submission Room' started by Lord Nelson, Oct 8, 2007.

1. Lord Nelson

Lord Nelson New Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Scheja
    First Name:
    Nelson
    After the strange failure of this page :?, I'm uplading my next recording, Liszt's third "Consolation", S.172. I personally find this recording my best one up to now. The piece sounds really nice, like the other Consolations, and hasn't been uploaded here yet. I hope you'll like it :)

P.S.: I'll send you my bio soon, thank you.

Liszt - S.172, Consolation no.3 in D-flat major

2. techneut

techneut Active Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    A good performance, and strange nobody's recorded it yet ! I think it is the most popular of the 6.
    But argh... that clangy piano ! It takes some getting used to...
    A pity that you cut off the closing chord so soon. It had needed just that extra one or two seconds to ebb away properly. If you still have the master recording perhaps you could fix that and re-upload ?

3. Lord Nelson

Last Name:
    Scheja
    First Name:
    Nelson
    Yeah, that thing with the end chord... I indeed have some problems with it :?. Don't know if you read the score of it: The closing chord is not even a full chord because the fundamental note is missing. And it lasts only for the time of a quarter-note, without a fermata. (There exists a ritardando, but it begins already some measures before, and the notes are getting longer themselves towards the end, so it has probably no great meaning.) I don't feel very lucky while playing the end of the piece because of this strange closing chord. In my oppinion there should be a deep D-flat and a fermata, but there are no, so I stuck to the notes and played it as written. Do you think, there is enough interpretation room for holding the chord longer? I think, Liszt wanted to express something with it...

4. pianolady

pianolady Monica Hart, Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    Nice job. I have played this and know it fairly well. One thing, do you have a middle pedal (sostenuto pedal)? I noticed that several times you hit the low LH note when it should be tied. The middle pedal is perfect for this case, as it is like having a 'third' hand. Other than that, I agree that the end could be softer (my score shows ppp) and slow down a bit more. Maybe then it would sound so sweet and special that it would be ok to not hold the last chord any longer.

5. robert

robert Active Member Piano Society Artist

Home Page:
    Last Name:
    Stahlbrand
    First Name:
    Robert
    Ah, very good as well as your other recordings you have submitted and I get more and more eager to put you up on the site. I have shouted for your biography in all your other topics but will do it once again here :). Please provide the full name and biography and I will put you up on the site.

The strange problem was the result of overuse of system resources and have been resolved. Such things happens from time to time when a huge amount of people are accessing the site at the same time. Take in mind that we in average have a new visitor downloading a recording every 20 second all around the clock. If 20 people decides to do it the same second...but it should not overload, just be slow so I need to take care of this problem.

6. Lord Nelson

Last Name:
    Scheja
    First Name:
    Nelson
    @pianolady: Indeed, I have a middle pedal, but as I have an upright at home, it isn't a sostenuto pedal but a special damper which can make the piano sound a lot softer and more silent the whole time.
    There must exist several slightly different scores of the piece: My score differs from what my teacher says, and your score is again different to both others :). I don't know what version is the correct one...
    Thanks for your tip, I'll try it next time when I play it.

@robert: If you're so crazy about my bio, I won't let you wait longer ;-)

Nelson Scheja was born in 1989 in Heidelberg, Germany, into a musically gifted family. He has a sister and a brother, both several years older. His mother recognised his strength in music early, as e.g. he was able to sing correct tones before he even could speak a word.
    He took his first piano lesson at the age of six. In the following years he has practised only sparsely due to a lack of motivation and patience. Although he changed the teacher a few times, nobody could encourage him to practise more efficiently. In 2005, his mother sent him to another teacher as a last chance. Finally, about a year later, Nelson decided seriously to do more at the piano.
    Nelson still attends the grammar school and is going to study physics after his graduation. He plays the piano as a hobby and doesn't plan a professional career with it. In his freetime, he also sings and whistles a lot and often thinks about mathematical oder physical problems.

I apologize for my bad English and the shortness of the biography, but there is not much to say, I have only lived for 18 years yet :)
    Oh, and I've attached a photo of mine.

7. robert

robert Active Member Piano Society Artist

Home Page:
    Last Name:
    Stahlbrand
    First Name:
    Robert
    The recording is up with bio including photo. Let me know if there is something you wish to change.

8. Lord Nelson

Last Name:
    Scheja
    First Name:
    Nelson
    Yep, pretty cool 8)
    Thank you!

9. Key88

Key88 New Member

Retired
    I was interested to note in a video of Horowitz playing this piece that he played a low Dflat with the last chord.
    My preference is for the two notes Ab/F as written on their own , provided they are very quite, and with adequate tone - I like the understatement of leaving out the fundamental Dflat from the chord. however it is quite difficult to get the duration and tone quality just right. I like your performance; I am practicing it myself and hope to submit it soon -I find it's more difficult to get all the details right then appears at first!