Thank you to those who donated to Piano Society in 2017.

J.S. Bach English Suite #3 - Prelude & Gigue

Discussion in 'Submission Room' started by Igor Utochkin, Jul 2, 2009.

1. Igor Utochkin

Igor Utochkin New Member

Hello!
    My name is Igor Utochkin.
    Here is one of my first successful experiences of recording my performance. And I would like to represent before strict tribunal of pianists.
    The recordings are the two movements from English Suite ib g-minor by Johann Sebastian Bach, BWV 808.

2. juufa72

juufa72 New Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Grocholski
    First Name:
    Julius
    Welcome Igor.

I am not skilled enough to critize your playing. But to my simple ears, this sounds very well played.

I hope you will become a regular contributor to the website (both in recordings and critiques of others)

-Julius

3. techneut

techneut Active Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    Hi Igor, and welcome.

These demanding movements are technically well-played, with great drive and facility. You clearly have the fingers for Bach's keyboard acrobatics, and the mind for his counterpoint. However I have some reservations.

1) Accuracy. There are a number of (small) slips and read errors here and there. Not so many to be disturbing, but you may want to take care of them. Some clustered slips near the end of the gigue should definitely be corrected.

2) Style. I find both of these are played very mechanical and flat. I hear little or no phrasing, articulation, or dynamic shading, it's a continuously pattering stream of fast notes more than anything else. You may want to trade in some speed for expression and elegance. Bach doesn't need to sound so hectic and dogged. In particular your endings are rather too abrupt, with only the slightest of ritardandi.

3) Sound. This overbright digital sound does the music no favours IMO. Then again I don't like digital sound to start with, so maybe this argument should be ignored. And if this is the instrument you've got, we and you have to make do with it. But maybe it has different setting you can experiment with ?

These are certainly good enough for the site; however I'd like to urge you to make a bit more of them, musically speaking.

4. Igor Utochkin

Igor Utochkin New Member

Well, thank you for your attention and for rather high evaluation of my playing!

As for critics by Chris it was useful and I hope to make my performance of Bach better.

But the sound... Honestly, my electronic piano sounds quite well but the problem is with my recording device, it makes piano sound like what you've heard.

5. s_winitsky

s_winitsky Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

programmer
    Last Name:
    Winitsky
    First Name:
    Stan
    May I ask what kind of recording deivce you use? I did not notice any noise or hiss in the recording, though sometimes a poor recording device can add distortion or even hiss to a digital recorindg.

You can usually find a good digital recording device for a relatively small price at your local music/piano/keyboard shop these days. Computer sound cards for example don't always do a good job, especially laptops.