Thank you to those who donated to Piano Society in 2017.

Grieg Notturno op.54 Nr.4

Discussion in 'Submission Room' started by Franz Josef Streuff, Apr 5, 2009.

1. Franz Josef Streuff

Franz Josef Streuff New Member Piano Society Artist

retired teacher
    Last Name:
    Streuff
    First Name:
    Franz Josef
    After my stroke (31st October 2008)I would like to continue with piano society.My piano playing is slow and careful. My first piece is thed Notturno op.54,Nr.4 by Edvard Grieg. I have to <practise hard every day, even if the piece is quite easy.I'm glad that the co-ordination between the left and right hand works again.

Grieg - Lyric Pieces, Book 5, Op.54 - 4: Notturno (04:19)

2. techneut

techneut Active Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    I say, slow and careful does it ! It is good that you pick up playing again, and this seems a very good piece to start. It may be 'quite easy' but there is lots going on. For someone on the road to recovery this sounds like a job very well done. Congratulations :

It would not be fair in this stage to comment on little technicalities (not that there are any real issues), but allow me to point out what I think are read errors:

In bar 7, and the similar bar in the reprise, you play E flat in the LH which should be E natural.
    In bar 14 you seem to ignore the 'poco rit' directive.
    The two 'rest bars' near the end are 'played' twice as long as they should.

You may also go a bit easier on the pedal here and there (I should know, of all people :wink: )

But all in all, a very nice recording. I like the little comment at the end. Do you want to keep that in, if we put this on the site ?

3. pianolady

pianolady Monica Hart, Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    Hello Francois,

It is very good that you can play piano again after having a stroke. I wonder if a musician's brain, and especially a pianist's brain since we read two staves can come back faster than a non-musician's brain. My father had a stroke and bounced back quickly. He is a musician too.

I agree with Chris - nice playing on this. It's one of my favorite Grieg pieces. There is just one more small thing I heard in your recording here which I'm not sure is a reading error or not. It is on bar 8 of the piu mosso section - you played only one-half of that bar.

4. musicusblau

musicusblau Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

High-school-teacher with subjects music and german
    Last Name:
    Pfaul
    First Name:
    Andreas
    Dear Franz,
    first let me say, that I´m so happy, that you are back on pianosociety again and that you are able to play again so nicely and musically. I know, what you had to suffer and what great pains you took with training for becoming able to play piano again.
    So, I´m glad to have such a beautiful recording of you here again! That´s great!

Hi Monica and Chris,
    I have edited the recording of Franz. I have add some reverb and equalizer and I have cut off the comment at the end. I fear, that was me speaking there. :oops: I have visited Franz on Sunday and I have assisted him to do the recording (to handle the Zoom H4 and to upload the recording in the Audition Room here).

Franz, please, write me here in this thread your opinion about my editing of your recording. You can download it below by doing one left-click with the mouse on the "download"-line below.