Thank you to those who donated to Piano Society in 2017.

Grieg, Nottourno Op.54 No.4

Discussion in 'Submission Room' started by Lord Nelson, Oct 5, 2007.

1. Lord Nelson

Lord Nelson New Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Scheja
    First Name:
    Nelson
    So, here's my version of the Nottourno which has already been uploaded by pianolady. I like the piece much more when it isn't played so slowly... I didn't play it perfectly, but it should be well enough. Please listen and give comments! Thank you.

Grieg - Op.54, Lyric Pieces, 4. Nottourno

2. Nicole

Nicole New Member

Piano Teacher
    Home Page:
    Last Name:
    Muller
    First Name:
    Nichole

3. pianolady

pianolady Monica Hart, Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    A little introduction would have been nice. Who are you, and since you asked for comments, here are mine.

No, I don't like this piece played fast like the way you do. It's not 'dreamy' enough, now. The magic is gone. Sounds like you are in a hurry to get to the end. But that's ok. That's what is nice about this place. We can all share our interpretations, and not everybody has to agree. However, your technique is fine, but on measure 56, I think you start the 16th notes and triplets too early. The first triplet falls on beat 7 and I didn't hear the last 8th notes on LH on measure 57. Same thing happens on the the next set, so I'm not sure if it is a reading error, or difference in editions. I'm used to it the way I play it, I suppose. Also, the Piu mosso section could be softer, maybe use your soft pedal more.

4. techneut

techneut Active Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    Well played, though I have to agree with pianolady that in this tempo you lose the magic. In fact it sounds a bit hurried and indifferent in places. Surely the closing page should be more sensitive and dreamy (it is a Notturno, after all).

5. Lord Nelson

Lord Nelson New Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Scheja
    First Name:
    Nelson
    I'm glad you mentioned the mistakes in measures 56-60. You're correct, I started the triplets too early. But as it seems, we have different editions of the piece, because you played three 8ths too less in measure 57 and 60, so if it was 6/8 and not 9/8. In my version, after such a phrase in 9/8 there's an empty 3/8 measure. Do you have it like this?
    Also in measure 16 and 19, you play whole three 8ths too less, when I stick to my notes.

OK, I think we cannot discuss much about the tempo. It's a matter of taste...

You wanted a little introduction of myself. Well, here it is:
    I'm 18 years old in the moment, and I live in a village near Heidelberg (Germany), maybe you know it. My mother is a music pedagogue, my talent is this direction comes from her :).
    I started taking lessons in piano at the age of 6, but for many years, I haven't practised much because of lacking motivation or something like that. Approximately one year ago I decided for myself that I had to practise more for getting better (oh wonder :) ). Since then I play a half to two hours a day, and it's worth its price...
    I love all romantic stuff. My absolute favorite composers are Chopin, Rachmaninov and Scriabin (if it's not too modern), furthermore Brahms, Liszt and Grieg.
    Some time ago I found Piano Society while searching a recording. I love this project, and I want to participate here, so I registered.

6. pianolady

pianolady Monica Hart, Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    I found mistakes in your recording, and you found mistakes in mine. You are right about measures 57 and 60. I never realized that, before. Probably because I sort of used the next measure of rests to take care of the remaining beats. Oh well. Glad you pointed this out. :)

Nice to meet you young Lord Nelson. I have a son your age. And yes, my mother is from Germany so I have heard of Heidelberg.

7. robert

robert Active Member Piano Society Artist

Home Page:
    Last Name:
    Stahlbrand
    First Name:
    Robert
    Most things already said but despite the reading mistakes, this is a really good recording as well as you Scriabin is. If you provide us with your full name and a biography, we will put you up on the site.

So, welcome to Piano Society! :)

8. robert

robert Active Member Piano Society Artist

Home Page:
    Last Name:
    Stahlbrand
    First Name:
    Robert
    And it is up on the site as well as your biography.