Thank you to those who donated to Piano Society in 2017.

Grieg - Lyric Pieces Books 6-7

Discussion in 'Submission Room' started by techneut, Jul 18, 2008.

1. techneut

techneut Active Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
  2. s_winitsky

s_winitsky Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

programmer
    Last Name:
    Winitsky
    First Name:
    Stan
    Wow so much material in such a small amount of time!

Were you always such a good/fast sight reader? I don't think I have ever met someone in person who could do that. I only heard rumors that some can!

Out of curiosity can you describe any aspects of your sight reading technique (not looking at hands etc...) Is it perhaps all those Bach chorales?

My sight reading is pretty mediocre.

3. François Micol

François Micol New Member

Last Name:
    Micol
    First Name:
    Francois
    Nice repertoire choice. I love Grieg's Lyric Pieces, although I'm only familiar with the selection that Leif Ove Andsnes has recorded. They would definitely deserve more attention from pianists.

I've listened to all of book 6 so far, which was quite nicely played, with some really beautiful moments. I particularly enjoyed the discovery of "Vanished days", which I don't think I had ever heard before.

As for constructive criticism, at times I found myself wishing you'd allowed yourself a bit more freedom, and pushed your musical intentions (which are very good and tasteful for the most part) a little bit further, if only to emphasize each piece's own and specific character.

4. techneut

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    Not such a small amount of time, actually. I must have played these pieces for at least 30-35 years. They had of course to be polished a bit for recording.

It's not Bach specifically. I have sight-read huge amounts of repertoire over the years, and I really don't know any better. Indeed I do not have to look at my hands that much, unless in jumpy/difficult passages (which I then have to play many times to get them memorized).

5. techneut

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    Thanks for the feedback Francois.

I guess everybody loves them, but they are not considered real concert repertoire by most great pianists. Andsnes, Pletnev and Gilels are some notable exceptions. I have sort of re-discovered them after a long time of neglect.

I'm working on that. Already I am more far more expressive than I used to be but I guess I will always be rather objective and will not be oozing emotion like some artists do.

6. hyenal

hyenal New Member Piano Society Artist

Ph.D student
    Last Name:
    Lee
    First Name:
    Hye-Jin
    I'm very surprised at this because I thought you're between 35-40 years old (and I don't know why) :shock: Should I call you "Mr. Breemer" or "Mr. Chris", too? :wink:

7. techneut

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    I don't see why age is so important. Let's please continue use first names.

8. hyenal

Ph.D student
    Last Name:
    Lee
    First Name:
    Hye-Jin
    Ok :D Sure, the age is not important. It is just my Asian origin that let me be worried a little bit :wink: It's in the similar context as Seiji Ozawa had never done "duzen" with Karajan :roll:
    I'll listen to your Grieg later. (I'm going to fly to Korea on Monday where I can use a faster internet connection :D )

9. hyenal

Ph.D student
    Last Name:
    Lee
    First Name:
    Hye-Jin
    One can certainly hear that you're aquainted with these piece well over a long time. I've enjoyed these recordings a lot!
    I don't know Lyric Pieces well. I have only a recording selection played by Andrej Gavrilov. But I found in your recordings the emotions and the lyricism which are very admirably treated. I think these pieces perfectly fit to your musicality :D
    About the audio quality I cannot say anything meaningful, because I listened to these with a completely different headphone :( Are you back to the original position of Edirol?

10. techneut

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    Thanks Hye-Jin :D I am glad they seem to sound convincing. Even though the recording eats up some of the dynamic contrasts as always.

Yes indeed, and I will stick to it from now on. No more experiments. Also, the piano had been tuned the previous day.

11. felipesarro

felipesarro New Member

System Analyst, for now
    Try listening to Håkon Austbø's complete recording on Brilliant Classics. He has easily become one of my favorite pianists, after listening to his impressive Grieg and Janacek.
    Now I'm looking for his Brahms. 8)

12. alf

alf Active Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Bertazzi
    First Name:
    Alfonso
    Good job as usual on these. Even though Grieg LP's are not really my cup of tea (much more interesting IMO their Mendelssohn equivalent - but this can be disputed :), I decided to listened to your new installment. Eventually I too will record a handful of these pieces (a few are truly inspired and brilliantly written). Among them there will be of course Alfedans :)).
    My favourite pianists on them are Gilels and Pletnev, do you have some?

These ones are very well played. On Vanished Days and Sylfide I have some reservations about the rhythm because you tend to play dotted quavers + semiquaver as triplets (quaver + semiquaver). Of course in the fast sections this is less important (or simply more difficult to obtain) but in particular at the beginning of the 2 pieces (respectively Andantino and Allegretto con moto) it is quite noticeable. Also the quaver + semiquaver triplet at ms.5 and alike is wrongly performed, the triplet should be quicker. In She Dances I personally would like to see more lightness and perhaps elation. In Gratitude I missed the stretto starting from ms.54.

Yes, they are tough (I studied Bekken but couldn't manage to reach a satisfying evenness in the pianissimi).

13. felipesarro

felipesarro New Member

System Analyst, for now
    There are also Alkan's Recueil de Chants :wink:

14. techneut

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    Thanks Alf. I find the Lyric Pieces much more interesting than the Mendelssohn Lieder (but it's comparing apples and oranges really). No favourite pianists here, but I don't listen to others a great deal - shame on me. I suppose I should be listening to Andsnes here.

Good points. My teacher has repeatedly attended me to that, and it seems I have lapsed. Need to be more conscious of it once again.

Truth is that I do not feel comfortable enough with She Dances - this is one of the items I have not played as much as most others. Never really noticed that 'stretto' marking in Gratitude, it seems a bit out of place and I wonder if he meant accelerando why he did not just write that.

Yes that is one little bastard. Working hard on it, but do not expect that evenness from me either. Unfortunately I can't skip it, being a compulsive completist ....

15. pianolady

pianolady Monica Hart, Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    I can only listen to a few of these today. Around four weeks ago, I was about ready to record 62/1, 62/3 and 62/4, but then I got onto something else and put them aside. So I know "Sylphide" and "French Serenade". The later one I found nothing wrong. "Sylphide" has a few hesitant spots and could be just a tad more 'bouncy'. Also the long ascending run right before the Tempo I did not quite get to the top. Dynamics could be pronounced, especially at bars 20 (pp) and 22 (ff). And the ff on the last page. But aside from those few things, these are nice and well played. Tempo is good on both, too, which is a relief, because I was struggling to get "Sylphide" faster, but could not do it.

16. techneut

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    Thanks for that Monica. She Dances and Sylphide are two that I have always a bit neglected compared to others, and I think they are a bit cautious (I was already glad to get them sort of error-free). They could well do with a re-recording, as could the French Serenade where I am unhappy with the scherzando 16ths.