Thank you to those who donated to Piano Society in 2017.

Gershwin & Janza

Discussion in 'Submission Room' started by wiser_guy, Nov 2, 2008.

1. wiser_guy

wiser_guy Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

System Software Engineer
    Last Name:
    Assimakopoulos
    First Name:
    Pantelis
    Here is Gershwin's "Rialto Ripples" - my favourite Gershwin piece.

The other one, "Aviation Rag", is quite rare to find in its original edition. I managed to track the score down in the Library of Congress. The composer is Mark Janza which is believed to be a pseudonym for the original publisher, Albert Marzian. There are only a few pieces composed by Janza and this one, Aviation Rag, is better known from its subsequent edition by John Stark albeit a little different than the original score.

Enjoy the music.

Janza - Aviation Rag

Gershwin - Rialto Ripples

2. pianolady

pianolady Monica Hart, Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    These are up, Pantelis. Very nice job. I really like Gershwin and should start playing more of his music.

3. techneut

techneut Active Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    I had not heard the Rialto Ripples before though I knew the name. Not sure if this is Gershwin's best but surely he could do ragtime with the best of them. And both your performances, us usual, are impeccable in style and execution. Nobody does this better than you ! I particularly like the glissandi in the Aviation, they seem unusual in that the top note is omitted (or perhaps the top few notes). Is that how it's written ? It's a nice effect.

4. wiser_guy

System Software Engineer
    Last Name:
    Assimakopoulos
    First Name:
    Pantelis
    Thank you Monica and Chris.

I am so embarrassed to admit that this is the only Gershwin piece I play (besides his jazz standards, that is). I am rather slow at learning new pieces and there are too many composers with too many pieces to learn...

The two glissandi begin at A3 and E4 respectively and end at D6 both. I usually try to get their starting notes right and then aim for the E6 (first note of next measure) which is the most important. So, I guess the top glissandi notes are a hit and miss thing at this pace.

5. techneut

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    I would not have guessed, they sound very accurate and consistent, and I think the little gap is rather charming and idiomatic.

6. wiser_guy

System Software Engineer
    Last Name:
    Assimakopoulos
    First Name:
    Pantelis
    Oh, you mean the little gap. I'm afraid that's my cheating the glissandi.
    No, the score dictates a smooth glissando to D6. No gap. But there is no way I can play it and at the same time feel absolutely confident that the next note (E6, next measure) will be full, clear and accented as it needs to be. So I lift the hand for a 16th or a little less. And, as I said, sometimes I don't even make it to D6.
    I practised it at ridiculously slow tempi during the summer to get it even but I was compromised with the fact that a gap will always be there.
    I am glad you find it idiomatic though.

7. techneut

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    It occurred to me as somethine that a native player of the time might have done, and it seems to fit well with the jaunty and jumping ragtime style. I'd keep it like this if I were you ! They don't need to sound like sumptuous Liszt glissandos. Come to think of if, glissandi in jazz/ragtime seem to be pretty rare, I can't remember having heard one before.