Thank you to those who donated to Piano Society in 2017.

Fr.Streff Toccata II

Discussion in 'Submission Room' started by Franz Josef Streuff, May 23, 2009.

1. Franz Josef Streuff

Franz Josef Streuff New Member Piano Society Artist

retired teacher
    Last Name:
    Streuff
    First Name:
    Franz Josef
  2. musicusblau

musicusblau Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

High-school-teacher with subjects music and german
    Last Name:
    Pfaul
    First Name:
    Andreas
    Bravo, Franz! I´m enthused. Somehow this piece wasn´t any more so well in my mind. It´s a splendid work in freetonal, I think also expressionistic or neoclassic style. It reminds me a bit of Hindemith, but, of course, all your works are original "Streffs" and this individuality and originality makes them uncomparable and unique! Maria plays this piece masterfully!

3. Francois de Larrard

Francois de Larrard Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Researcher
    Home Page:
    Last Name:
    Larrard
    First Name:
    Francois de
    Thank you so much for this post. It's nice to hear music from other living composers... I liked the energy and the dynamics of this toccata. It would be nice to have also the score on PS.
    By the way, the track ends by the beginning of 'Jeux d'eau', if I am correct...

4. techneut

techneut Active Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    An interesting piece indeed, quite different from the romanticism of the late intermezzi. Very well performed, though I would wish for a bit more ferocity in both tempo and dynamics.

I'm not sure what to do with this one though. It is unusual for a composer to send in a recording by a pianist who is not a member on the site, and whom I cannot find any information about on the web.

5. musicusblau

Last Name:
    Pfaul
    First Name:
    Andreas
    Hi Chris,
    well, I have known Maria Heister for a quite long time ("Mary Haister" is a pseudonym like "francois streff"). She is a very good professional pianist living in Germany, she teaches as a piano-professor at university of Cologne. If you google her name you will find many information.
    May be she could record one or two more other pieces for the site and send her biography, may be she doesn´t want that?
    I think, Franz, you could ask her for that.

6. techneut

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    I did that of course, but did not find anything as I was using the pseudonym.

Yes, that would be good.

7. musicusblau

Last Name:
    Pfaul
    First Name:
    Andreas
  8. Franz Josef Streuff

retired teacher
    Last Name:
    Streuff
    First Name:
    Franz Josef
    Maria heister

Dear Chris Breemer, At the moment I think I'm not able to play such difficult pices as my Toccata II
    In fact I wrote three toccatas in 2oo5 (all of them rather difficult technically) So Maria Heister -that#s her real name- did it for me. I will ask her if she would like to become a member of P S.
    She could certainly record a few other pieces. I will ask her this evening I can well imagine that a membership in piano society would be interesting for her. I hope I did not annoy you and ask your pardon. As to the composition, I would not write such an impetuous and stormy piece now. My late intermezzi are much quieter and sort of detached and poised

Hello Francois de Larrard, Thank you for commenting on my toccata I was glad to read your friendly words and I am ready to send you the score by e-mail. Best wishes, Francois Streff.-

9. Franz Josef Streuff

retired teacher
    Last Name:
    Streuff
    First Name:
    Franz Josef
    Re: Maria heister

10. musicusblau

Last Name:
    Pfaul
    First Name:
    Andreas
    Hi Franz,
    I have edited this nice recording. I have cut off the beginning of "Jeux d´eaux" and I have put some expander, limiter, gate, reverb and equalizer to it. In addition I have normalized the panorama-level and -loudness. I think, it sounds very nicely now, isn´t it?

Streuff - Toccata II (5:50)

11. techneut

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    Yes that sounds better. Thanks Andreas for cutting off that Ravel bit (good as it was :wink: ).
    I have uploaded this file but will wait with putting it up on the site until we know if she will join the site. If not, I'll just put it on Franz's page, with a note about the performer).

12. musicusblau

Last Name:
    Pfaul
    First Name:
    Andreas
    Thank you, Chris. Yes, that´s a good idea and I have liked the begining of "Jeaux d´eaux" also very much. Of course, I understand that only recordings of pianists, who are a member of the site should be posted on the site. At least Maria should send her biography IMO. But, of course, it is the new rule to post at least three recordings in general now. You can believe me, as a former pupil of Franz and a piano-professor of university in Cologne she is a good and professional pianist. Nearly one year ago I visited a private recital at her home, in which she played fantasticly. I think, until now she has not too much to do with computer and internet, as Franz explained to me and she hasn´t yet a digital recording-equipment. So, he first has to visit her and take his Zoom H 4 to her (it´s nearly three hours with the car to go for Franz, I suppose). But Franz will ask her now, if she wants to become a member. I told him, that he should tell her all the advantages of internet and pianosociety, and what for a nice and useful site it is, so I hope, she will become a member. In every case this would be a great enrichment for this site.

13. musicusblau

Last Name:
    Pfaul
    First Name:
    Andreas
    Maria has rung me up today. I have written you a pm concerning her plans to become a member. BTW, Franz hasn´t to drive to her, she told me, that she has a friend, who can record her playing digitally for her.

14. Rachfan

Rachfan Active Member Piano Society Artist

Chief Operating Officer, retired
    Last Name:
    April
    First Name:
    David
    I just listened to this toccata and am glad I did. It has a fresh modern sound, but is imbued too with neoclassical style--a superb combination. I believe this might well be one of the best contemporary toccatas in the literature. Congratulations to both Franz for his special creativity and to Maria for that wonderful performance. Bravo!

David

15. Franz Josef Streuff

retired teacher
    Last Name:
    Streuff
    First Name:
    Franz Josef
    Dear CHRis BReemer, let me just add a few lines as regards my toccata. I think I had no right and it was stupid to ask MARIA to perform in P S without an entrance ticket -as it were-. Now the situation is as it is and I have to bear it, -sorry as I am.-
    Confidence is a high value and I have to be more careful dealing with it. There is no end of learning in life. Best wishes francois.-

16. Franz Josef Streuff

retired teacher
    Last Name:
    Streuff
    First Name:
    Franz Josef
    TO RACHFAN, thank you for your appreciation of my second toccata. I am glad and a bit proud you find such wonderful words- about it; more than I had expected. THANKS AGAIN_ best wishes FRANCOIS.-

17. Franz Josef Streuff

retired teacher
    Last Name:
    Streuff
    First Name:
    Franz Josef
    TO RACHFAN, THANK YOU for your appreciation of my second TOCCATA.I must say I am very glad and a bit ptoud about it. Your words are very kind and and appreciative- More than I could have expected. THANKS AGAIN best wishes, FRANCOIS.-

18. Franz Josef Streuff

retired teacher
    Last Name:
    Streuff
    First Name:
    Franz Josef
    my 2nd toccata

TO RACHFAN, THANK YOU fpr your appreciation of my second TOCCATA I must say I am very glad and a bit proud to read your kind and appreciative words. THAKS AGAIN- best wishes FRANCOIS.-

19. techneut

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    Dear Franz,

It is no problem at all, and you do not have to apologize !

It's just a situation that we need to think about a bit more than usual. If Maria wants to be a pianist on the site that is fine, we can add the recording in the standard way. If not, we I'll add the recording to your own page, with a note regarding the performer. Unless of course she does not agree with this.

Cheers

Chris

20. Franz Josef Streuff

retired teacher
    Last Name:
    Streuff
    First Name:
    Franz Josef
    Toccata II

TO RACHFAN, I don't know whether my thank-you -letter three days ago has reached you, so I will again send you a few lines of THANK YOU for your appreciative and encouraging words. Really I am full of thanks to your wonderful words, Rachfan, Would you like the score as a gift? Best wishes, Francois.-