Thank you to those who donated to Piano Society in 2017.

Faure - Barcarolles 8 and 9

Discussion in 'Submission Room' started by techneut, Nov 30, 2014.

1. techneut

techneut Active Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
  2. Rachfan

Rachfan Active Member Piano Society Artist

Chief Operating Officer, retired
    Last Name:
    April
    First Name:
    David
    Hi Chris,

I listened to both barcarolles which offer a lot of challenges, and I enjoyed your playing. Faure was the master of shifting tonalities--like the shifting sands of a dessert. But no matter how far afield he went, he always knew a way back.

At some point you might want to look into his Impromptus. I played his 2nd Impromptu, Op. 31 (and recorded it). Section B has a gorgeous melody which makes it all worthwhile.

It's good to see a greater interest lately in this composer's works.

David

3. techneut

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    Thanks David. I have played Impromptus 2, 3, and 4 but never made serious work of them. No. 5 I have not tried and no.1 scares me away just by the look of it. Just too damn difficult, as early Faure can be. Next to the Barcarolles and Nocturnes, I'm rather fond of his Preludes op.103.

4. StuKautsch

StuKautsch Member Piano Society Artist

Software Developer
    Last Name:
    Kautsch
    First Name:
    Stewart
    Thanks, Chris. I did not know of the Barcarolles at all, and your playing is too good to not say something, even though I can't add anything.
    My exposure to him was his vocal works, which are not this "modern". I'll have to hear more (which I will, since I see you put up some more recordings.)

5. techneut

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    That is good to hear Stu, thanks. I sometimes feel like I'm not able to rise above the mediocre.

6. pianoman342

pianoman342 Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Tucker
    First Name:
    Riley
    Hi Chris,

Sounds great, and thank you. For what you might ask? Here's a short story :) If you want to hear a bunch of different acoustic pianos over various brands on YouTube there's really no better place than Rick Jones Pianos. I watched a video where an associate from Rick Jone's Pianos played Barcarolle 8. They are a big piano retailer here in USA and I always get a kick out of hearing them play a piece and then talk about how good the piano is. Anyways, I was annoyed after I heard that piece because I thought it was such a marvel but had no idea what the title was. He didn't say, (the title only contains the piano brand and the manufacture year) and the comments are always disabled for the demo videos. I was thinking of making a short video to ask what the name was, so thanks for saving me the work!

Faure seems to require the intense focus of playing Bach. I would echo what David said, that there's is much to admire about how he can switch keys and some how bring the piece back to where it started from in the end. It sounds like you've spent some time working these up. I can't give much to critique on because I've never played these before. Sounds like the notes are all there. Compositionally I like the no. 8 a little more than the 9. I think it is a bit more conventional, even by Faure where the standards of convention are relatively thrown askew!

7. techneut

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    Thank you Riley. Indeed these were not recorded in haste ! I did work on them intensively, and that was after having known them for a great many years. Faure is like an old friend to me. His music is so incredibly rich, perhaps he represents the pinnacle of French piano music. I will be recording some more of his Nocturnes and Barcarolles before long.