Thank you to those who donated to Piano Society in 2017.

Edward Grieg Notturno op.54 Nr.4 second recording

Discussion in 'Submission Room' started by Franz Josef Streuff, Apr 11, 2009.

1. Franz Josef Streuff

Franz Josef Streuff New Member Piano Society Artist

retired teacher
    Last Name:
    Streuff
    First Name:
    Franz Josef
    This Notturno seems to be bewitched. Every timr I try again, some new little mistakes occur. This time I leave it as it is. I don't mind any more. Other wise it drives me crazy.

2. musicusblau

musicusblau Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

High-school-teacher with subjects music and german
    Last Name:
    Pfaul
    First Name:
    Andreas
    This is a very nice performance, Franz. The three little slips are minor IMO, you play carefully and accurately besides these three places. We can be glad, that you can play so well again after your stroke!
    The clock in the background gives your recording a jovial and private atmosphere (like a british gentleman, who plays in his living-room). I like it.

I have edited your file again. Do you like it? You should tell me, if you want me to gain or to reduce reverb or equalizer (especially bass) a bit or other changes. I´ll try to satisfy all your editing-wishes. :)

3. Rachfan

Rachfan Active Member Piano Society Artist

Chief Operating Officer, retired
    Last Name:
    April
    First Name:
    David
    Dear M. Streff,

I found your playing of the "Notturno" to be very lyrical and atmospheric. Of Grieg's Lyric Pieces, I believe that this one has emerged over the years as one of the most beloved, beautiful and also important pieces of his repertoire. I say important because for generations, quite often this piece has become a piano student's very first encounter with polyrhythms. So not only does the piece have a wonderful charm to it, but also serves a key pedagogical aim as well, as you well know from your own teaching. Because of its enduring popularity, it has even been orchestrated!

I very much liked your cantilena line, your playing of the accompanying double notes inside the keys to keep them muted so as not to intrude on the melody, and your decisions on how to play the trills in order to best blend them into the serene mood of the piece.

From Andreas' post here, I was saddened to learn of your stroke, but am also glad to hear from your playing here the remarkable recovery you have had since then. It certainly shows courage, determination, and perseverance. Let me wish you the very best for continued daily progress toward full recovery, and that you will be able to make more recordings for Piano Society in the future.

David

4. techneut

techneut Active Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    To my ears, this sounds much more assured and fluent than the previous version. Good work ! If you can improve that much in a week's time, I think all is going to be just fine with your playing.
    The couple of little flaws are nothing much to worry about.

I heard two stumbles which, because you corrected them, were easy to cut out. I have done that in the attached recording. This is Andreas' version in which I made 3 small cuts.

Grieg - Lyric Pieces, Book 5, Op.54 - 4: Notturno (04:19)

This is a very pleasurable recording Francois. We can put this up on the site if you agree.

BTW - Thank you for the feedback on my Holberg Suite. I have since then re-recorded the Praeludium and Air, which are now more satisfying.

5. musicusblau

Last Name:
    Pfaul
    First Name:
    Andreas
    Techneut wrote:
    Wow, that´s very fine now, Chris. Thank you so much. I could have got to the idea of making cuts myself, but now I´m very happy, that you have done it. That´s very nice of you! :D :D :D

6. musicusblau

Last Name:
    Pfaul
    First Name:
    Andreas
    Rachfan wrote:
    These are very important and true informations about this little piece. Thank you, David. Indeed it seems to be ideally for a first approach to polyrhythmic structures (eighth-notes against eighth-triplets).

I second this at hundert percent! These indeed are very nice musical details of your performance, Franz, and I may add, there are also some very subtle and fine rubati in it.

7. techneut

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    Just doing what I'm good at 8)
    Altough Monica will probably still hear the cuts....

8. Franz Josef Streuff

Franz Josef Streuff New Member Piano Society Artist

retired teacher
    Last Name:
    Streuff
    First Name:
    Franz Josef
    Grieg Notturno

Dear Mr.Rachfan,thank you for dealing with my recording of Grieg's Notturno. You found adaequate and very friendly words .IMO this piece has a special atmosphere and a certain charme that is typical for GRieg's piano music. i no longer want to mention my stroke. I have practised the piano every day since it happened. I also know that it might have turned out mor seriously than it actually has.I am grateful that my piano playing is back again.

Hello Chris Breemer, I also thank you for mentioning and appreciating my recording of GRieg'sNotturno. Referring to faulty bars is agood thing to do and I appreciate it. You can put the Notturno on the site now. Thanks for your effort ,it encourages me.

Dear Andreas, Thanks also to you for dealing with the Notturno and editing it. I like the way you did it.. many thanks for your encouragement and appreciation. Compared to your recording of the
    Wohltemperiertes Klavier my little piece doesn't really count.

9. musicusblau

Last Name:
    Pfaul
    First Name:
    Andreas
    Re: Grieg Notturno

francois_streff wrote:
    It was a great pleasure to help you and I´m glad you like my and Chris´ editing! :D
    Your little piece counts very much for me. It´s a little jewel!

10. techneut

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    This one is on the site, the version edited by Andreas and me. Well done F.-J. and keep up the good work !