Thank you to those who donated to Piano Society in 2017.

Dave Brubeck - Points On Jazz, Nos 5 & 6

Discussion in 'Submission Room' started by wiser_guy, Jun 3, 2009.

1. wiser_guy

wiser_guy Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

System Software Engineer
    Last Name:
    Assimakopoulos
    First Name:
    Pantelis
    "Points on Jazz" is an eight movement suite for two pianos. It was commissioned by the American Ballet Theatre for a ballet choreographed by Dania Krupska.
    Dave Brubeck used a very dear theme to him as the source for each movement. This theme, "Dziekuje" (means thank you in Polish, I think), also happened to be a popular tune of his during the late fifties, composed in Poland during a tour and recorded in his album "Impressions of Eurasia".

The single piano version of the suite is an adaptation from the original score made by Dave's brother, Howard. The score edition was made by John Salmon who has also recorded the whole suite quite successfully IMO.

No 5 - Rag
    This is a very engaging and sparkling beast, a Broadway show tune. It is more jazz than ragtime however. I have really struggled with Brubeck's block chords and steaming drive for some time now but it was worth every minute.

No 6 - Chorale
    A serious scholar might call it a bitonal piece but it is rather a study on major ninths, a blues device essentially. The voicing can be a little tricky here as everything stands on thin air.

I am working on No 7, the Waltz, hoping to record it in the near future. If someone from PS is interested in this suite and wants to try playing some of these pieces, please let me know so I can share the scores. It would be nice to have the complete suite recorded here on PS but I admit I can't do it alone, too much of a technical challenge for me.

Enjoy the music.

Brubeck - Points on Jazz, "Chorale"

Brubeck - Points on Jazz, "Rag"

2. musicusblau

musicusblau Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

High-school-teacher with subjects music and german
    Last Name:
    Pfaul
    First Name:
    Andreas
    The rag is afloat and has an interesting beginning. The piano-part in the middle is a nice contrast and well mastered by you as the whole piece is a splendid examplar of playing in jazz-style. All is so clear and understandable. For my taste also the choice of tempo is exactly the right.
    The chorale is very meditative and has interesting harmonic progressions. You play it very expressively and lyrically. Together with the splendid sound-quality these two recordings are a great enjoyment!

3. pianolady

pianolady Monica Hart, Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    These sound great, Pantelis. I really like that rag, and I'm not that crazy about all rags, but you played this one very well! It's got a lot a neat things in it. The choral certainly has interesting harmonies. I like it - reminds me a little of Mompou.

I wouldn't mind trying out one or two from this set. Unless you think they are too hard for me.

Is Brubeck still alive? I think he is, and that is why I am not sure if I can put these up without his permission. Do you know? Maybe Chris or Robert can advise here.

4. wiser_guy

System Software Engineer
    Last Name:
    Assimakopoulos
    First Name:
    Pantelis
    Thank you for taking the time to listen and for your encouraging words, Andreas. I really value your opinion and ideas. I'm relieved you liked them.

I am aware of this technicality, Monica. That's why I have already mailed Mr Brubeck's representative for permission. I'm afraid it will take some time though, as they can only be contacted through regular mail.

On the other hand, I am not sure whether we subject to legalities as these recordings are strictly non-profit. Also, since the music is available to buy as a score, would I need permission to play it in a recital or, as the case is here, to make it available to others for amusement and comments?

Anyway, I rushed uploading these to get some useful comments from you and see whether these recordings are up to a certain standard. Just imagine Dave Brubeck himself wanting to listen before giving his permission ! (terrifying, isn't it?).
    If you and the other admins think we must wait, we'll wait, no problem.

I can send you a pdf if you like (can I send a pdf through PM?) and see for yourself. And thanks for listening, Monica.

5. pianolady

pianolady Monica Hart, Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    Yes - that is a little terrifying - having him listen to you play his music. But I am sure he will approve of your playing it because you play so well. Also, we do have music by other living composers on the site ( I can only think of Kapustin right now - I think he is still alive) so I think we can put these up. They can go in the 'miscellaneous' category for now, but if we (you, me, other members) record more from the set, then we'd want to make a page for Brubeck.

No, you can't send pdf's through private messaging, here. But you can by regular email. Click on the bubble down below for my email address.

6. techneut

techneut Active Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    Yes he is, and I sure hope he never gets to hear my abominable half-speed recordings of his music....

Anyway there is tons of music on YouTube by composers dead and living alike. This does not seem to be a problem so I don't know why it should be for us. Should a composer ever complain, worst thing that could happen is that we'd have to take something off.

7. pianolady

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    Eh, they're not half-bad. :p

Ok, and up they go...or went...or whatever...these are up!

8. wiser_guy

System Software Engineer
    Last Name:
    Assimakopoulos
    First Name:
    Pantelis
    Thanks Monica for putting these up. Let's hope that only someone from Derry Music will listen to them eventually and not John Salmon or worse, Dave Brubeck.

Now, before I send you the pdf I need to know the tolerance of your email account. I mean, can you handle a 15 -20 MB attachment? The pages of course will be compressed (it doen's hurt much for grayscale images) but I prefer not to lower the resolution below a comfortable limit in case you need to print them.
    If you are ok with the above, I can send it tomorrow morning.

9. pianolady

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    Pantelis, please go your private messages.

10. Rachfan

Rachfan Active Member Piano Society Artist

Chief Operating Officer, retired
    Last Name:
    April
    First Name:
    David
    Hi Pantelis,

Odd, when I click on either the Rag or the Chorale, I can download only the Chorale. Maybe an error was made in archiving the Rag. Hopefully Monica can double check it.

First, thanks for your "program notes". I likewise like to provide notes, as it helps listeners to better understand the origin, context, and style of a piece of music, and most find it quite helpful.

As mentioned, I could hear the Chorale. It strikes me as more of a mood than a jazz piece per se. Had you not provided your notes, I probably would have assumed that it was contemporary neo-romantic music. I think that indicates the wide interests and versatility of Brubeck as a composer. You play this piece very well indeed, and it was enjoyable hearing your rendition. Thanks for posting it!

David

11. pianolady

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    Oops. Sorry! :oops: It's fixed now.

12. wiser_guy

System Software Engineer
    Last Name:
    Assimakopoulos
    First Name:
    Pantelis
    Wow, lucky you! I think his performances of Brubeck's music, especially those of the Nocturnes, are a must listen.

And you are so right, David. There are so many composers, pieces etc. that I know nothing about and these notes help tremendously to get an idea before listening and learn new, sometimes quite interesting things.

In some of Brubeck's pieces, like this Chorale, the influence of his teacher in composition, Darius Milhaud, is more than evident.

Thanks for listening, David. I always value your comments.
    Oh, I believe Monica has fixed the links, you can listen to both pieces now.

Monica, check you hotmail account. I tried to keep the attachment below 10 MB.

13. Rachfan

Rachfan Active Member Piano Society Artist

Chief Operating Officer, retired
    Last Name:
    April
    First Name:
    David
    Hi Pantelis,

I just listened to the Rag and thoroughly enjoyed it. Very nice playing!

David

14. techneut

techneut Active Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    Very nice repertoire, thoroughly accomplished, polished and idiomatic playing. Well done !

15. wiser_guy

System Software Engineer
    Last Name:
    Assimakopoulos
    First Name:
    Pantelis
    Thank you, David, for listening to the Rag also.
    And thank you, Chris, for your comments. I'm very glad you liked these pieces.