Thank you to those who donated to Piano Society in 2017.

Chopin Nocturne Op. 62, No. 2

Discussion in 'Submission Room' started by pianolady, Oct 25, 2007.

1. pianolady

pianolady Monica Hart, Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    Well...here's my version. And I must say - this piece is a lot harder than it looks. If one little finger comes down too hard, the whole thing is ruined. If you only knew how many takes I did on this, and I still ended up with a couple inaudible notes :x .

The tempo may be slower than what you are used to, but I can't play it faster. I can, but I don't hear or feel it going any faster - you know what I mean? (probably just my weird take on it) Oh well, comments appreciated. :)

Chopin Nocturne Op. 62, No. 2

2. chopinman0901

chopinman0901 New Member

Kind of slow for my taste, but I can tell you put a lot of feeling in it. You're right, this is a very difficult nocturne. Isn't the tempo indication Moderato or something? Sorry for harping on it, but I just think the piece isn't really meant to move as slowly as it did in the beginning here (the middle section had a good tempo). It just kind of makes it sound like a happy funeral march :lol: .

Overall, though, you did a very good job! Only a few wrong notes I think. You should feel very proud for being able to play this beautiful nocturne! It's kind of weird how many professionals think very little of this piece.

3. John Robson

John Robson New Member Piano Society Artist

Retired
    Last Name:
    Robson
    First Name:
    John
    62/2

A very convincing performance. I liked your phrasing very much. What does Lente mean other than slow? Slow is an arbitrary term. Lento is not as specific as Largo or Adagio. I've heard this played much slower and much faster than this rendition. Have you heard Betts on Classiccat play this? Talk about slow! It's a matter of the performer's choice. I must admit that I prefer it a little faster, but that's only my opinion. The only other personal preference I have is for the Agitato section to be more agitated. Congratulations on another lovely post of a Chopin Nocturne!

4. pianolady

pianolady Monica Hart, Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    Thank you both for your comments.

Yes - Lento means slow. My teacher recently turned pages for Ivo Pogorelich who played this same nocturne and played it even slower. According to my teacher, Pogorelich made such beautiful long lines and phrases, and I guess that is what I was hoping to achieve. And you're right about the Agitato section. I feel agitated when I play it, does that count? :lol:

5. nathanscoleman

nathanscoleman New Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Coleman
    First Name:
    Nathan
    Very prettily done, Monica.

*lecherous leer* I like it slow, too! :twisted:

6. pianolady

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    Thanks, Nathan.

7. Terez

Terez New Member

Student
    Didn't someone tell you to lay off? :lol:

Very nice, Monica. ;)

8. PJF

PJF New Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Fournet
    First Name:
    Pierre
    I could do without the locker room humor, Nathan.

The nocturne was very well done! I don't think it was too slow but I felt some hesitation in a couple spots.

Pete

9. pianolady

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    Thank you, Pete and Terez. Now go and play the new game. :)

10. alf

alf Active Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Bertazzi
    First Name:
    Alfonso
    I heard Pogorelich in that Nocturne a couple of years ago in Piacenza, Italy, and it was revelatory. Only very few pianists can play at so slow tempi without spoiling the musical tension. There is a private recording of that performance that floats around on the net... :wink:

bye,
    alf

11. robert

robert Active Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Home Page:
    Last Name:
    Stahlbrand
    First Name:
    Robert
    A very interesting interpretation in this tempo. I can imagine Pogorolich does this even slower as he does with a lot of music, something you can afford when you are a famous name. But this is also the great things about Piano Society, you can afford to make your own very personal interpretations as well and I glad you did Monica!

12. pianolady

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    This is up! I say to myself :lol: ( I'm getting goofy, now)

Thanks for listening, Robert.