Thank you to those who donated to Piano Society in 2017.

Chopin in Progress

Discussion in 'Works in Progress' started by fluterific00, Nov 1, 2015.

1. fluterific00

fluterific00 Member

Private Piano Teacher College Piano Teacher Accomp
    Home Page:
    Hey, Haven't been on for a while. I've been trying to get my recordings up to par for the P.S. I need some pedal work and have a slip of the notes, but not too bad for the first time. Chopin Nocturne.

Attached Files:

2. pianolady

pianolady Monica Hart, Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    I know this nocturne well because I worked on it too, and then recorded it and put it up on the site. However, a couple months later I took it back down because it was a bad recording. It's those little thirds passages. They have to sound smooth and effortless, and mine did not. I struggled through a couple of them, and it's clear that you struggle through them too; you often slow down to get through them. These sort of passage are certainly like what you'd find in etudes, so working hard on them will certainly be beneficial in the long run. One other thing.....I'm afraid the sound of your piano is not acceptable. Hopefully, all it needs is a good tuning.

3. fluterific00

fluterific00 Member

Home Page:
    Could it also be the way I recorded it? I just used my computer, no microphone.

4. fluterific00

fluterific00 Member

Home Page:
    This is also something I worked on in College, but didnt get quite through and am relearning, so it's very much a work in progress. I will take your suggestions, though and see if I can get a better recording. I emailed my piano tuner to see if he was free. Hopefully that's all it is. I also realized the sound of the piano is enhanced when the lid is up and I can get a more mellow sound from the soft pedal. I can also make sure the keys are not making such a clucking sound when playing. And I realized I had items on the instrument. When I removed the items, I got a better sound. But it does need a tunin . I have contacted my tuner. Ad it happen I, I broke the stand to the instrument and will need to fix it before working seriously on something. I have not worked anything up for myself in a ling time part due to deprrssion and things like that and part due to jobs where I was playing what I was told and teaching part time. Lately I have picked up violin and have bee trying to become decent at that. Is there a trick besides the soft pedal to make the keys heavy? The keys are too light for my taste. I am using a grand currently, but a very old one and at the moment not working outside the home to obtain a better one. ( It is a goal.) I am sorry you felt you had to take your recording down. I would have enjoyed listening. Sometimes I thinl we are too criticsl of ourselves. What I need to do is re record my senior recital pieces and see if I can get a better quality sound. And perhaps better playing. My mental and physical health was not good during the senior recital. Guess I was in burnout mode and still attempting to come out of that

5. fluterific00

fluterific00 Member

Home Page:
    The piano may need some voicing work. I'm going to talk to my tuner today to see what we could do. Maybe there's a way to do it and not have it cost too much. I would prefer heavier keys anyway.