Thank you to those who donated to Piano Society in 2017.

Chopin etude op10/4

Discussion in 'Submission Room' started by johnmar78, Jul 22, 2007.

1. johnmar78

johnmar78 New Member Piano Society Artist

Food chemist / pianist
    Home Page:
    Last Name:
    Mar
    First Name:
    John
    Just come back from home. You reckon i played wrong in bar 13 so as 63....sorry...I could not find anything wrong. I played E# which is a white key = f. And I have Kikuli version by schimers.

I understand, that the only improvement is to accept peoples critic so as my teacher....in this case
    Terez, I dnt want to be rude or anything, I think you better slow down my tempo with the soft ware, and hear each note youself, before start humilating people on the world internet--piano society.

Your hearing is good, but you have missed out a big wrong note I played and I noticed this morning.
    Its bar 25. The last RH b chord(octave) come back with C natural but I played with C#. As matter of facts, I do think C# sounds no worse than C natural. Now I have corrected it to natural. :lol:

Ok, now you better to participate my quiz.

2. Terez

Terez New Member

Student
    Humiliating? I don't see any reason why you should feel humiliated, for one thing, and for another, that certainly wasn't my intent. I just love Chopin, and I nitpick where Chopin is concerned. It's never personal. I wouldn't have given you a compliment from the get-go if my intention was to humiliate you in any way, and I don't hand out flattery. Compliments are always sincere from me.
    My apologies; my critique wasn't intended to be comprehensive by any means, which is exactly why I didn't slow down the recording - I didn't want to over-nitpick your performance. I just pointed out a few things I thought were pivotal, and didn't really worry about the rest. ;)

So, here's a couple more nitpicks, just for fun:

Measure 30, in my edition, has a g-natural at the very beginning of the measure, but on beat 3 (second 16th note) you play a g-sharp. Is there a sharp indicated in your version? In mine, the G-natural carries through the measure.

Then, in measure 33, that 1st chord - I think you are playing an E natural in your right hand instead of a D, which sounds a bit weird against the E sharp in your left.

My ear isn't perfect, by any means, but it's usually good enough to know when something is wrong - usually in my own playing I know immediately what it is that I did wrong, but sometimes I have to use trial and error to find out exactly what note I played wrong. The most common reading errors for me are those where I unwittingly replace a note with another that fits the harmony of the chord - when it doesn't fit, it sticks out.

So, please remember that a few nitpicks don't change the fact that you're doing a really good job with this etude. Reading errors are common - I picked up on a few of my own in a Bach piece I'm working on, from listening to the recording on Piano Society and comparing it with my score.

Keep up the good work. ;)

3. johnmar78

Food chemist / pianist
    Home Page:
    Last Name:
    Mar
    First Name:
    John
    Terez,
    yes, meausure 30 and 33, i have to check it again. and thank you for your bionic ears....haaa.
    But sometimes I think it needs recharging. :oops:

By the way, I tune my own piano. and I have to admit, my tunning seems to be much higher(cripsper) than the standard pitch. My other friends(tuner) has told me so. Would that cause you some confusion?

Cheers.
    I will come back for more to master this etude......

4. Terez

Terez New Member

Student
    I'm not really sure - I just hear when the harmony is off, but I don't have it down to a science or anything. If your piano is tuned consistently, though, I don't see why it would matter if you tune to A440 or 449, etc.

I'm looking forward to it. ;)

5. johnmar78

Food chemist / pianist
    Home Page:
    Last Name:
    Mar
    First Name:
    John

6. Terez

Terez New Member

Student
    You must not be understanding where I said your errors were, then - particularly measures 30 and 33. You definitely played a g-sharp on the second 16th note of the third beat of measure 30, and you definitely played a wrong note on the first beat of measure 33 (pretty sure you played E instead of D, but I know there's something wrong there). I still maintain that something sounds off in measures 13 and 63 (on the first beat of each measure), but that could simply be due to lack of synchronization between your left and right hands. I'm sure someone with a better ear than mine could tell you exactly what it is, but there's definitely something wrong there.

What about the F double sharp in measures 4 and 54? Just because you believe it isn't an error (because of your edition) doesn't mean I didn't hear it correctly.

lol...I already took two years of Aural Skills in college, and fortunately, you weren't my examiner, because I never made less than an A on either sight singing or aural dictation tests.

7. johnmar78

Food chemist / pianist
    Home Page:
    Last Name:
    Mar
    First Name:
    John
    Terez, thanks for your effort(s).

Back to measure 13,63. I could not find anything wrong.....but syncronazation could be the one to blame. I am not try to make any excuses, if I am wrong then I am wrong.
    I deliberate speed the lh just(acceleranto), but it was done in a unpoluar way. When I played slowly in the last 2 weeks, the problem has resloved. So as the double Sharp (F) in the last 25 measures(FF section). Untill this week, I further reforced the both hand especially on the first note of every semoquavers(1/16) to be played TOGETHER and more acurate as Chris pointed out. Because of that, the melody on 1/2 step decending chromatically becomes much clear and more pronounced.

About your exams, perhaps, mine piano sound and playing is one of the hardest one you ever encountered. and I know who you are now. :lol:

XXXXhjj :twisted: I will check meausre 4 and 54 since I have no piano in front of me but can only shadow playing....I need to be more precise..when I get home.

8. johnmar78

Food chemist / pianist
    Home Page:
    Last Name:
    Mar
    First Name:
    John
    Terez,
    Guess what....bar 4 and 54 I went home and played. I was played the wrong chord. The 2 and 3 finger of that 9th chord I have had played f# and A. That I really should played is F## and a#. I played it wrong way round. Thank you for pointing out. Last night I have relearn that chord. It took me 10 minutes to erase my old memory pattern. So anymore you can think of???

9. Terez

Terez New Member

Student
    Well, the ones I mentioned already are the most glaringly obvious ones, and I would suggest correcting those first. Other than those, concentrate on synchronization between your hands, and the wrong notes will be much more clear.