Thank you to those who donated to Piano Society in 2017.

Beethoven Sonata op27 nr1 Adagio espressione/Chopin op15no3

Discussion in 'Submission Room' started by PJF, Mar 10, 2009.

1. PJF

PJF New Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Fournet
    First Name:
    Pierre
    This is the last thing I played on the piano before my back injury. If you find it suitable, please put it up on the site. I was in the middle of recording the whole sonata when my spinal shenanigans started. Thanks!

PS:Getting better every day. (Keeping fingers crossed.)

A/b the nocturne, I know it's flawed but it's emotionally significant on a deeply personal level; I recorded it at the request of a dying loved one. Please put it up.

Pete

PPS: Let me know if the .wma format on the nocturne is a problem, if so, I can convert it to mp3.

Thanks to everyone who contributes in so many ways to enriching humanity!

2. alf

alf Active Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Bertazzi
    First Name:
    Alfonso
    A very fine playing, what a pity you have only the Adagio. The trills are incredibly smooth (I believe they should end with a turn) and the cadenzina is simply wonderful. In bar 23 you play the Eb7 harmony one quaver beforehand.

3. PJF

Last Name:
    Fournet
    First Name:
    Pierre
    I know, as soon as I can return to some semblance of a practice regime, I'll add the others. Bar 23 bugs the hell out of me. :lol: I'll get it eventually.

I like the cadenza, too, thanks.

It just occurred to me, I should have posted the two recordings separately. Sorry, Monica.

4. juufa72

juufa72 New Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Grocholski
    First Name:
    Julius
    bravo bravo bravo...

zero gravity does wonders for back and joint problems. Since we cannot go to space for free (yet), a swimming pool works to relieve joint pain due to gravity...too bad no one has come up with a waterproof piano :roll:

-jules

p.s. sorry for the lame joke

5. techneut

techneut Active Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    I have mixed feelings about these, especially about the nocturne. As always, your touch and tone are wonderful, and your technique is beyond reproach. Your freedom is not always to my taste but that's just me. There are some huge hesitations which I am not sure are rubato or momentary confusion.

But also as always, I hear so many strange things ! In the nocturne, read errors at 0:16, 0:10, 0:46 and similar spots. A glaring miss at 1:10, and a slew of errors/misreads at 2:16 to 2:24, after which I lost count of them. The Beethoven fares much better in that respect but also I though I heard some strange chords. These are, maybe apart from a few bars, easy pieces, with slowish tempi, very vulnerable and nowhere to hide. There's not really an excuse for jarring errors here.

Not to say that these can't go up on the site, they sure have their merits. But the errors will be irritating to whomever listens to it. I just wish you'd pay more attention to the score Pete ! I hope you are not one of those who think the correct notes are of secondary importance ? Also you might want to think about using cut-and-paste or the delete button (we're all human here....)

6. PJF

Last Name:
    Fournet
    First Name:
    Pierre
    AHHHH! CUT AND PASTE, NOOOOOO! :lol:

Whatever. As I prefaced my post "if you find it suitable." I'm fine with theses not going on the site and I would be very annoyed at my mistakes, too; if'n I ever heard someone else do it.

As I said before, I'm patient to a fault.

Pete

7. PJF

Last Name:
    Fournet
    First Name:
    Pierre
    Yes Chris, you're right; if I can rip Chopin Etudes at million MPH (and I can), I should be able to manage a nocturne or anything else for that matter, without slaughtering the chords.

Pete

8. techneut

techneut Active Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    I can understand that it hurts your artistic priciples :wink:

However, if you make an unfortunate slip in a recording that goes otherwise well, why not fix it ?
    Silly and unnecessary slips in recordings are annoying. I regret every single one of them in any recording I've ever submitted. Then again, most casual listeners won't even hear these things.

The Beethoven is fine IMO and will go on the site. The Chopin, well, I'd like you to do better with it (because you can, easily) but if you want it on the site like this, it's your decision. A couple of silly slips have never prevented a recording from going up on the site. You'll have to submit a mp3, though.