Thank you to those who donated to Piano Society in 2017.

Beethoven Sonata No12 mvmts. 2 and 3

Discussion in 'Submission Room' started by PJF, Mar 7, 2008.

1. PJF

PJF New Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Fournet
    First Name:
    Pierre
    This is a work in progress, but considering my absence from practicing these last few months it's alright.I really hope to hear lots of artistic criticism! From a technical standpoint, too!

Thanks and mvt. 1 soon to follow.
    Pete

2. juufa72

juufa72 New Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Grocholski
    First Name:
    Julius
    Don't you want to split the movements into separate recordings?

3. pianolady

pianolady Monica Hart, Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    Hi Pete,

Not sure what you want me to do - would you like this to go up on the site? If so, what Juufa said is right - can you submit it in two separate files? I've got too many things open on my computer right now to do it myself (that is if I even know how).

As to the music - I think I have mentioned this before, but I am sort of a 'late bloomer' and I have not heard this sonata before. This is one of the things I love about this place - listening to pieces I do know and am able to offer advice, or listening to something brand new and deciding if it is something I want to put on my 'list of things to play'. All I can say about your recording is that you sound very Beethoven-like. Good dynamics, technique, mostly correct notes. That's all I can think of, except when are you going to put up your photo? I'm dying to see what you look like!

4. troglodyte

troglodyte Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Professor
    Last Name:
    Parrow
    First Name:
    Joachim
    Nicely played! I enjoyed it. A few details:

The Marcia funebre is not very march-like. The slight ritardandos at some phrase endings and the (by itself excellent and very musical) exaggerated dynamics makes the movement a soft lament rather than a stern march. Perhaps this is what you intend, but it sounds a bit un-Beethovian - not that that necessarily is a bad thing.

The two last chords in m 31 (and similar) are marked ff - you seem to ignore that totally.

The allegro could go a little faster and with a little more drama - try not using the pedal too much and bring out the accents and staccatos clearer. But you are well on your way here.

5. techneut

techneut Active Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    I am surprised Joachim did not pick up on the strange harmonies in bars 27 and 28. In bar 27 you play an f natural instead of f flat, creating a real un-Beethovenian sound. And in bar 28 in LH you play D flat instead of E flat. Towards the end of the march, you insist on that f natural again, it sounds really weird. There were numerous other mistakes and read errors during the march, but I can't easily point them out for lack of bar numbers in my score. You are a master of touch and dynamics, but IMHO a sloppy reader, and you really need to sit down with the score and check all the notes.

The Allegro is one of my favourite Beethoven movements. Artistically there is not much wrong here only that it could be a bit snappier and less muffled. The RH is habitually drowned out by the LH. The spirit is there, and there are some great moments, but there are just too many wrong notes to give a good judgement....

One thing I learned from your performance is that the trio section of the march is in major key, whereas I have all my life played it in minor key ! Talk about sloppy reading :shock:

6. Terez

Terez New Member

Student
    :lol: That's a great way of putting it. I really enjoyed your performance, Pete. You do have a lovely touch. ;) But I also noticed the strange, un-Beethovenish harmonies, though I don't know this piece...

And are you joking about the major/minor key thing, Chris? I don't have my scores with me so I can't check...but that's....downright horrible! :lol:

7. techneut

techneut Active Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    Not joking, alas... I do make read mistakes too and this was one whopper that I just never noticed.
    Always pays to listen to someone else :wink:

8. Terez

Terez New Member

Student
    Ah, well....you would think you would have noticed it just because there are all sorts of adaptations that have to be made to make something minor, using harmonic and melodic minor and all. :lol: But yes, it pays to listen to someone else. I catch a lot of reading errors that way. :D

9. PJF

PJF New Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Fournet
    First Name:
    Pierre
    I thought I would know better by now to not ignore what Beethoven wrote.

(I thought that d-flat-augmented chord sounded a bit strange.) :lol:
    This is what I get when I don't sit down with the score BEFORE I try to play it!
    Also, I'd neglected to properly appreciate the dozen recordings of the piece sitting quietly on my hard drive. :oops:

The feedback is very...motivating. :lol:
    Thanks, everyone. I needed that.

PF

PS, Monica, a better recording will follow.