Thank you to those who donated to Piano Society in 2017.

Bach - WTC F sharp

Discussion in 'Submission Room' started by techneut, Feb 13, 2011.

1. techneut

techneut Active Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    Thanks for that Tim :D
    I am certainly not breezing through them like before. At least they can now hold their own with most other good recordings on the site.
    I would not have made such improvement without PS and the members' critical feedback.
    Funny how these pieces mean more and more to me the deeper I get into them. It's both a labor of love, and a job for life.

2. musicrecovery

musicrecovery Member Piano Society Artist

Special Ed/Music Teacher NYC (Retired)
    Home Page:
    Last Name:
    Rochelle
    First Name:
    Kaila
    Re: Bach - Prelude and Fugue  no.13 Bk 1

re: Prelude and Fugue no.13 Bk 1

Chris,

Wonderful character, the melodies sing out so well, the tone is truly sensitive to the character of the piece throughout both the Prelude and Fugue.
    The statement of musical ideas is sincere.

The embellishments every now and then could be a bit more evenly played.

Very beautiful interpretation, the presentation is gentle but very moving.

Thanks,
    Kaila

3. techneut

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    Re: Bach - Prelude and Fugue  no.13 Bk 1

Thank you Kaila, that is great to hear :D
    Yes the ornaments and trills.... it's usually those that trip me up however much I practice. One needs an instrument with lighter action. On my organ with its super-light keyboard I hardly ever botch up a trill.

4. Terez

Terez New Member

Student
    Interestingly, I find that your piano sounds like a harpsichord in these recordings, most especially in the lower registers (LH stuff mostly). Or maybe it's a bit more accurate to say it sounds like a guitar in some places. Did you alter the recording sound in some way to produce this effect, or does your piano really sound like that?

I listened to both Book II sets since I am most familiar with them and I find them to be competent recordings with not much to complain about aside from maybe tempo which seems a bit ploddish to me at times (which can detract a bit from the energy of your performance). In some places I even hear some reflection which shows your love for the music. :wink: I thought I heard some read errors but upon checking my score and my GG recordings I found that they were rather GG's read errors. :roll:

5. techneut

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    I've noticed that too. Didn't do anything special for it. Though I have changed my recording position, and I am still not convinced that was a good thing to do. Although for Bach, the sound is quite appropriate.

My current Bach recordings are not supposed to have any read or other errors :D
    Ploddish tempo, hmmmm.... I've come back from my race-against-the-clock approach to find a more lyrical and flexible style, which allows for some agogics or even slight rubato. I think it is an improvement but maybe not for the GG diehards.
    Thanks for the feedback, I am glad these can at least be considered competent.

6. Terez

Terez New Member

Student
    Yeah, I kinda like it. Bach is more fun to play on piano since you have such a range of expression, but that sound is interesting. It's like cheating, but I don't mind. :wink:

I agree, it's certainly an improvement from the previous approach.