Thank you to those who donated to Piano Society in 2017.

Bach: preludes BWV 866, 867, 868

Discussion in 'Submission Room' started by musicusblau, Feb 22, 2009.

1. musicusblau

musicusblau Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

High-school-teacher with subjects music and german
    Last Name:
    Pfaul
    First Name:
    Andreas
    Re: Bach: preludes BWV 867, 868, 869

Stan_winitsky wrote:
    Thank you, Stan, for your interest and encouraging comment. :D

I´m just preparing prelude and fugue in b-minor. I think, it will take some time to ripe. I´m not in a hurry with it, but will let it ripe to good music. Thank you once more for your interest.

2. musicusblau

Last Name:
    Pfaul
    First Name:
    Andreas
    Alf wrote:
    :oops: My flaw, it´s BWV 868. Seems as you will have to "paw with the hoofs" for a while. :lol:

Alf wrote:
    Thank you, Alfonso, I appreciate very much, that you prefer my more extraordinary version of the prelude and I still do it, too. :wink: But I wanted to try the more "usual" variant, you know, I´m a friend of experiments and trying out different possibilities. The first version with the slow tempo is still on this site and also on my youtube-channel I let it to stay there. So, my listeners can choose, which version they prefere. :wink: The fugue is still the old version, BTW, I didn´t make a new attempt here (somehow only the prelude attracted me to try out a more "conventional" version, I don´t know why).

Wow, Alfonso, you are one of the best listeners, I have meat until now! Indeed, I have edited this cut and now by listening the whole fugue again I discover, that you are absolutely right with your remark. My mistake was, that I worked only on this little extract, which contains the cut, so I didn´t notice somehow, that I obviously have cut off a bit too much at this place. I´m very very thankful for such advices, Alfonso. :D On my youtube-channel you still can listen to the version without the bad cut.

Thank you, I´m still working on it as much as my (spare) time allows. This is one of the deepest fugue of the WTCI and I really don´t want to hurry with it, but let it ripe as well as possible. (It´s always a little conflict between my ambition and the necessity to let ripe the pieces. :? )

3. wiser_guy

wiser_guy Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

System Software Engineer
    Last Name:
    Assimakopoulos
    First Name:
    Pantelis
    A-B has helped a lot I think, your stereo image is up to professional standards. And with the mikes facing the lid you manage to get a beautiful sound without the mechanical noises. The sound has a 'liquid' quality (maybe the EQ helped there) which clears the whole image. You are not far from a true Gouldian sound! 8)

I watched your new video. It's nice, but since you had me compare it with your previous recording, I must say I prefer the lush, comfortable, travelling tempo and style of the previous one. I'd say the previous recording had more of a story to tell. Don't get me wrong, the new one by itself is really nice. But the previous for me, wins, hands down.

4. musicusblau

Last Name:
    Pfaul
    First Name:
    Andreas
    wiser_guy wrote:
    Thank you for these advices! :D

Wow, that´s the greatest compliment one can make me!!! :D :D :D But are you sure? I think, Glenn Goulds recordings have a more dry sound, isn´t it. I don´t think, that he has added any reverb-effect, right?

:eek: Thank you for your opinion. I have to say, that I didn´t expect that, because I have thought, you were not too enthused about my old version. But I have to say, I still like my old version also better than my new one. :D

5. wiser_guy

wiser_guy Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

System Software Engineer
    Last Name:
    Assimakopoulos
    First Name:
    Pantelis
    Gould's recordings seem dry but they are not. They have natural ambience from the studio hall, additional microphones were used for this. Cut back a little on the reverb (prefer to shorten the reverb tail, do not change the early reflections density) and you'll be quite there.

6. musicusblau

Last Name:
    Pfaul
    First Name:
    Andreas
    O.k., Pantelis, thank you very much for these advices. I will change only the reverb-tail-parameter next time.

7. Rachfan

Rachfan Active Member Piano Society Artist

Chief Operating Officer, retired
    Last Name:
    April
    First Name:
    David
    Hi Anreas,

I just listened to both recordings. Your playing of Bach is very refined in my opinion. In particular I like your precise articulation, your balancing of the hands to feature the voices in the fugues, and your playing of this music with evident passion (which would please Bach, I'm sure). All of this leads to a wonderful musicality in your playing. Excellent!

David

8. Rachfan

Rachfan Active Member Piano Society Artist

Chief Operating Officer, retired
    Last Name:
    April
    First Name:
    David
    Double post.

9. musicusblau

Last Name:
    Pfaul
    First Name:
    Andreas
    Rachfan wrote:
    Thank you very much for your praise, which encourages me really! :D In deed, voicing is a main-capability for to play Bach-piece, especially fugues. I´m always working on it and making thoughts about it. In the next fugue (b-minor) I think, I´ll more bring out meanful counterpoints than in my other fugues-recoridings until now. There are so beautiful and ingenious counterpoints in it.
    Thank you for your interest, though your are more a "romantic" pianist than a baroque-orientated one. But I think, Bach is something like the "father" and the romantics are his "sons" (especially, if we think of Mendelssohn, but also other romantic composers seem to base upon him more or less).