Thank you to those who donated to Piano Society in 2017.

Bach - Prelude & Fugue Dm - WTCII BWV 875

Discussion in 'Submission Room' started by wiser_guy, Mar 25, 2009.

1. wiser_guy

wiser_guy Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

System Software Engineer
    Last Name:
    Assimakopoulos
    First Name:
    Pantelis
    I've spent quite some time with this pair. Maybe for better, maybe for worse. I hope neither piece has lost the freshness I thought they had when starting off with them.

Enjoy the music.

Bach - Prelude & Fugue No. 6 in D minor, BWV 875

2. pianolady

pianolady Monica Hart, Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    Very clean playing. Sounded great, Pantelis. It is on the site.

3. musicusblau

musicusblau Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

High-school-teacher with subjects music and german
    Last Name:
    Pfaul
    First Name:
    Andreas
    Hi Pantelis,
    first, I would like to give back you the compliment you have made me: this pair is masterfully played, especially the prelude from my view.

I like your articulation, which is very alive, fresh and never boring because of some interesting changes. I find also some nice and fine dynamics, especially in the prelude you show a good "Terassendynamik", which is typic for the baroque-epoque. (Sorry I couldn´t find the English expression for it, but it means the sudden change from forte to piano and reverse.)

The double-fugue has also very nice articulation and subtle dynamics, but for my taste it has a bit too few of voicing of the two themes here and there. You seem to be a subtle player and sometimes I don´t know, if you really want to bring out a certain voice or if it´s only hazard.
    I have to admit, the more I play Bach I´m not more a fan of to bring out every subject-entry pedanticly, but one has to be aware at every place, where a subject-entry is. (For this, I mark every subject-entries in my score.) Mostly I bring out every subject, but sometimes I follow also other voices (counterpoints) with more or equal consciousness.
    All this is meant as an inspiration for you, but you have reached the fine and subtle regions of Bach-playing now in every case. This Bach-recording is still on a high level and the best I have heard of you until now, I think.

The sound-quality is marvellous, excellent! The sound of your piano is noble and very clear (and it´s a bit similar to my Grotrian). I like it. Is it a Bösendorfer?

So, this was a great listening-pleasure and btw, I have played this pair myself during my years of studies.

4. juufa72

juufa72 New Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Grocholski
    First Name:
    Julius
    Impressed me, thank you.

5. alf

alf Active Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Bertazzi
    First Name:
    Alfonso
    Hi Pantelis, I agree with Andreas, the impelling pace in the prelude struck me more than the fugue, though solidly plotted. A very good job and a worthy addition to the crowded WTC page.

6. Rachfan

Rachfan Active Member Piano Society Artist

Chief Operating Officer, retired
    Last Name:
    April
    First Name:
    David
    Hi Pantelis,

To be honest, I'm hardly a Bach expert. Nonetheless, to my ears your playing was thoughtful, even, accurate, expressive, and of fine clarity. I enjoyed listening.

David

7. wiser_guy

System Software Engineer
    Last Name:
    Assimakopoulos
    First Name:
    Pantelis
    Thank you for listening and for putting this up, Monica.

Thank you for listening and commenting, Julius.

Thanks, Alf. To tell you the truth I have struggled more with the prelude to find a suitable 'drive'. In fact, I had it recorded three times over the last two months and each time I deleted all takes and started practising from the beginning again.
    Andreas has tragically raised the bar with his recent excellent WTC recordings so one needs to be extremely careful and certain before submitting.

Thank you, Andreas for your nice words.

Well, I like to play around with the voices. To be honest, I don't always keep an eye on subject lines and such, I rather prefer to focus on harmonic texture which might benefit by playing with the voicings. Sometimes it succeds, sometimes it doesn't.

I'm glad you think so. Nevertheless I'll keep fighting for still better results as there's room for further improvement.
    Yes, this is my Bösendorfer 214. It's a little large for Bach though. Maybe I'll do some future recordings on my smaller 170 which has a mellower, more contained tone and it might be more suitable for Bach pieces.
    Your Grotrian has an advantage. Although it is a large instrument (over 210?), it can sound quite intimate, salon-like while retaining power and fullness. This gives you a certain degree of flexibility.

Your opinion means a lot to me, David. Thank you for your kind words.

8. musicusblau

Last Name:
    Pfaul
    First Name:
    Andreas
    Wiser_guy wrote:
    To focus on harmonic textures is very good and important, but to focus on voicing and themes is the most important matter concerning the playing of Bach-fugues IMHO!

Wow, you have two Bösendorfer grand-pianos! :shock:
    So, you must be very rich. :wink:
    I love the sound of your big Bösendorfer and I love Bösendorfer generally. In most cases I would prefer a good Bösendorfer to a Steinway, I think.

Thank you for your praise of my Grotrian. Yes, I agree with you. It has a length of 2, 26m and is built in 1980. I think, the sound of my Grotrian is not as noble as the sound of your Bösendorfer, but I´m totally happy with it (and a good Bösendorfer would be too expensive for me, if I´m honest).

9. wiser_guy

System Software Engineer
    Last Name:
    Assimakopoulos
    First Name:
    Pantelis
    No, I'm not. At least not anymore, after spending all my money on pianos. :)
    Really, my father bought me the first grand (a used 214, at a real bargain price) as a present. I bought the 170 three years ago as a present to my daughter but she is too young to play, so I play it instead!

I'd love to have also a Steinway. In fact, when shopping for my second piano I was determined to get a Steinway until I heard the 170. I'm afraid if I ever had the money again to buy a Steinway, I would come up with one more Bösendorfer ... and then probably end up dead, as surely my wife would kill me this time.

10. musicusblau

Last Name:
    Pfaul
    First Name:
    Andreas
    Wiser_guy wrote:
    :lol: That sounds likeably. I think, I would do the same, if I would have enough money.

Then you better would not buy a third piano, because I would like to hear still some more Bach-recordings of you! :lol:
    I have to say, that to possess a Steinway or a Bösendorfer is also an old dream of me, but neither I have had rich parents nor I´ll have enough money for it in my live as a high-school-teacher.
    So, I believe this dream will not become reality any more in this my life.

11. wiser_guy

System Software Engineer
    Last Name:
    Assimakopoulos
    First Name:
    Pantelis
    Never say never, Andreas. Who knows, you may have your big break some day. And since you live in Germany, home of the finest pianos, you may come across a real bargain and fulfil your dream!

12. techneut

techneut Active Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    I forgot to comment on this one though I listened to it. A quality recording !

13. s_winitsky

s_winitsky Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

programmer
    Last Name:
    Winitsky
    First Name:
    Stan
    This is a nice recording wiser_guy, do you plan to record more from the WTC?

14. wiser_guy

System Software Engineer
    Last Name:
    Assimakopoulos
    First Name:
    Pantelis
    Unfortunately, I spend too much time nurturing and honing these WTC pairs until I feel they sound like I want them to. In this pace, I will need twenty years for a complete WTCII cycle! So I guess I'll just compromise with one or two more of them before getting on with other Bach stuff.
    Thanks for listening, Stan.

15. epf

epf New Member

Author/Computer Geek
    Pantelis,

This was really nicely done -- good, clean articulation and you brought out the separate voices beautifully. Thanks for spending the time to get this so well done!

Ed

16. wiser_guy

System Software Engineer
    Last Name:
    Assimakopoulos
    First Name:
    Pantelis
    Thanks so much for your kind words, Ed.