Thank you to those who donated to Piano Society in 2017.

A couple videos

Discussion in 'Submission Room' started by François Micol, Feb 16, 2008.

1. François Micol

François Micol New Member

Last Name:
    Micol
    First Name:
    Francois
    A couple video recordings I made in October 2007 (those were my compulsory exam pieces for the conservatory). I don't intend for them to be posted on the site, as the audio quality is all but flattering, so it's mostly for introduction and feedback purposes. I hope you like them.

Chopin - Nocturne op. 32 n°1 - http://youtube.com/watch?v=F94MyMJtYiY
    Thierry Escaich (b. 1965) - Variations-Etudes - http://youtube.com/watch?v=nkcBxm8Znvk

2. hyenal

hyenal New Member Piano Society Artist

Ph.D student
    Last Name:
    Lee
    First Name:
    Hye-Jin
    I saw only the first one. As you described it sounds really like "Honky-Tonky" :)
    Your performance is solid and beautiful, but if you would play it more structured, it would be much better.
    And I saw your hands, too, which are big enough, thus would have no problem for playing the second sonata of Scriabin :wink: (See my reply to your question.)

3. François Micol

Last Name:
    Micol
    First Name:
    Francois
    Thanks for your reply, Hye-Jin. :) Would you mind elaborating what you mean by "more structured"? I have an idea but I'm not sure.

As for Scriabin, yeah I guess hand size wouldn't be an issue. ;) I'm more concerned about technique/velocity, that's always been one of my biggest flaws; I could probably find my way through the first movement, but the second one is something else...

4. hyenal

hyenal New Member Piano Society Artist

Ph.D student
    Last Name:
    Lee
    First Name:
    Hye-Jin
    Excuse me for the scantly and poor expression. I mean, each section of your performance is good and beautiful, but as a whole it seems to be a little bit monotone... I think it could be overcome, if you bring a more elaborated "structure" into your performance. But maybe you did it and nevertheless the bad sound quality of your camera prevented me from noticing that.

You're saying that, because you're not acquainted with the problems with the hand size (I envy you! :)) The hand size is still something esp. for the first mov.! It's musically more difficult than the second mov. and because of that it is very important, in order to let the music flowing...
    But if you're mainly concerned about the second mov., I would say: practice, practice and practice! Even though I'm myself not accustomed to the diligent and intensive training. :roll:

5. François Micol

Last Name:
    Micol
    First Name:
    Francois
    Ah, I see. Well, it could be either, really. I worked a lot on keeping a relatively steady tempo and an homogenous, continuous flow throughout the piece, and not that much on giving each section its own character (except for the coda, and some details here and there). But it's also true that many things were basically lost on the camera microphone's quality. ;) Thanks for the clarification.

6. techneut

techneut Active Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    Good performances, very steady. You are a real 'no-nonsense' player who does not waste any body movement and does not seem tormented by emotions while playing. The result can seem just a bit literal at times - I have the same 'problem' myself. This nocturne could sing a bit more.

Pretty afwul sound from that piano, perhaps you should have cleared up the mess on top and opened the lid ?

Interesting this Eschaic piece. Not many organists write very well for the piano - even though there are many precedents. The ending is rather weak IMO, after all that exciting rhythmic drive.

7. Casper89

Casper89 Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Bronner
    First Name:
    Friedemann
    I'm not really confident with those two pieces you played there, but except of the general disturbing sound quality I couldn't here mistakes. I think you kept the rhythm very fine in both pieces, but it's really difficult to hear dynamic contrasts(but of course I can here that you made some) , the visual quality was much better than the things I can produce with my awful webcam.

8. François Micol

Last Name:
    Micol
    First Name:
    Francois
    Thanks for the replies. :)
    Well, Escaich also happens to be a fine pianist, although his piano solo output is quite small (I only know of one other piece, "Les litanies de l'ombre"). He often includes the piano in his chamber works.

He's really a good guy, by the way. Quite approachable and generous, despite his fame. I contacted him before that exam and he was kind enough to give me and my pals a little masterclass on his piece, for free! I sorta agree about the ending, although my playing and the sound quality didn't do it justice. It's a bit underwhelming, but it works.