Thank you to those who donated to Piano Society in 2017.

3 other compositions of my own

Discussion in 'Submission Room' started by Franz Josef Streuff, Aug 5, 2008.

1. Franz Josef Streuff

Franz Josef Streuff New Member Piano Society Artist

retired teacher
    Last Name:
    Streuff
    First Name:
    Franz Josef
    Here are the other three pieces I dedicated to my old freind Klaus Herper. They are all different in character and I hope you enjoy them (?) Nr.2 is Vivo, Nr.3 Pesante and Nr.4 Giocoso.
    They are based on what I call free-tonal harmony.
    I would like to join your piano society. Do you think my music is good enough?

Streuff - Vier Klavierstucke - 1: Semplice ( 1:58 )
    Streuff - Vier Klavierstucke - 2: Vivo ( 2:47 )
    Streuff - Vier Klavierstucke - 3: Pesante ( 4:34 )
    Streuff - Vier Klavierstucke - 4: Giocoso ( 1:24 )

2. musicusblau

musicusblau Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

High-school-teacher with subjects music and german
    Last Name:
    Pfaul
    First Name:
    Andreas
    I like your compositions very much. (I´m grown up with them and I remember also still a bit of the person, to which they are dedicated, Klaus Herper, who was a teacher at our high-school.)
    For me it is not so important to think, if they remember me more of Hindemith, Bartok, Strawinsky or whoever, because IMO they are real individual achievements in free-tonal composing. They are evidence of a very good and rich consciousness of tradition and structure (form). I think, you developed your own style in more than 60 years of composing and playing piano, a style, which is full of heart and sensation!

3. techneut

techneut Active Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    They certainly are ! Good tunes, structure, purpose, and development, it's all there. One can hear the various influences Andreas mentioned, and many more I suppose, and yet they have a style of their own. I particularly liked the Pesante. I would have liked the Giocoso and the Vivo with a bit more bite and bounce, and the Pesante with a bit more sonority. Having said that, these are good and solid performances and sound well (if perhaps a bit on the dry side, a little reverb would not go amiss).

So, we can put you up as a composer with this, if you provide your details.

4. Franz Josef Streuff

retired teacher
    Last Name:
    Streuff
    First Name:
    Franz Josef
    I am very happy you accept me as a composer, thank you for your words. The 'Vivo' and the 'Giocoso' could and should be played faster with 'a bit morer bite and bounce' as you put it, I quite agree. It encourages me to achieve more precision by further practising. When I play the 'Pesante' on my old grand-piano (it was built in 1910 by H.G.Francke, Leipzig) it has a mighty sonority; I, too, missed this sonority in the recording. So, I'll have to try and improve the quality of my recording.
    As to my biography, - it is not very exciting. I did not climb the Mount Everest, I did not sail round Cape Horn, nor did I ever see the Antarctis!
    I was born at Rees, a nice little town on the Lower Rhine near the Dutch border. Early piano and organ lessons with the former organist, not bad, as he he opened my sense of harmony and the art of variation. From 1944-46 I was evacuated. Then, from 1946-51 Gymnasium at Werl, east of Dortmund+Abitur. Study of music at Cologne+private initiative in England. Also study of the English language and literature. Necessary examinations. Worked as a teacher of music and English at a 'Gymnasium' (as it is called in Germany). I still keep contact to some interested former pupils, with whom I enjoy playing symphonies à quatre mains or attend to other musical activities.
    Really important to me -next to music- is my family, good wife and four children, one daughter and three sons. We built a house of our own in 1971/72. My wife and me still live in it. Enjoy singing in a choir with good friends. Keep an open house with swimming-pool in the garden.

e-mail: fj.streuff@t-online.de

5. p.pietschmann

p.pietschmann New Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Pietschmann
    First Name:
    Peter
    Great Job! I like these compositions, just like your other two works! And what a profound playing! Excellent!

6. techneut

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    That reminds me, I still need to add you as a composer on the site. Sorry for losing track, I will do it asap.

7. Franz Josef Streuff

retired teacher
    Last Name:
    Streuff
    First Name:
    Franz Josef
    Dear Patrick Pietshmann, thank you for showing interest in my little pieces. The choice of your words is possibly a bit too favourable for me. Of course I'm very happy. However when you write "you deserve a place between the other great composers of the main page" you should cancel "great". Also, my playing is no longer excellent, I am sorry to say. It's really very kind and friendly of you, but I am fully aware of my handicaps.
    On September 7th I will be at Andreas' during a few hours, say, between 11.oo and 13.oo.
    We could possibly get to know each other?

8. techneut

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    Francois, your composer page and compositions are now up the site.

Welcome to Piano Society ! Please check if everything is in good order (would not be the first time that we goof up somewhere along the line).

9. musicusblau

musicusblau Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

High-school-teacher with subjects music and german
    Last Name:
    Pfaul
    First Name:
    Andreas
    Dear Franz,
    welcome to Pianosociety. I´m very glad to see you here as a composer on the main-page.
    Your works really deserve it to be heard by a bigger public. Hope to hear soon new recordings of your pieces here and that you will find some interested listeners.