Thank you to those who donated to Piano Society in 2017.

Wilhelm Keilmann: Sonata for violin and piano, op. 54

Discussion in 'Submission Room' started by Juliapiano, Jan 11, 2009.

1. Juliapiano

Juliapiano New Member Piano Society Artist

pianist
    Home Page:
    Last Name:
    Froschhammer
    First Name:
    Julia
    Dear friends,
    Happy new year to everybody! A long time I was not here on pianosociety... So I m back today with a live video recording of the violin-piano-sonata op. 54 by Wilhelm Keilmann, a german composer, pianist, conductor and teacher (1908-1989). My brother Felix and me performed this in a recital in Munich in mai 2008.
    As I like this sonata very much, and it is a a not often played piece, I hope it will be a pleasure for you, too.
    Best regards!
    Julia

http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wilhelm_Keilmann
    ...some infomations in german, if you put the recording on the side, I can try to make sth. in english...

2. Rachfan

Rachfan Active Member Piano Society Artist

Chief Operating Officer, retired
    Last Name:
    April
    First Name:
    David
    Hi Julia,

I really enjoyed listening to this violin-piano sonata of Keilmann. This is the first time I've encountered this composer's music. Although he was born in 1908, his music is so lyrical and beautiful that I would almost call him a very late romantic. (The Late Romantic period is my favorite.) I believe that you and your brother provide a very sensitive rendition of this music that surely serves the composer well. Congratulations on such a fine performance!

David

3. Jan

Jan Member Piano Society Artist

teacher
    Home Page:
    Last Name:
    Bertram
    First Name:
    Jan
    Youtube:
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMpJwDjUguCQGsAAJQSBhTw
    Hello Julia,

thanks for sharing this recording, I never noticed much this composer, although his sight-reading-school is on my bookshelf...

I think you both play excellent together, a duo with a really nice sound, as far as I can judge from this recording!

Greetings / Schöne Grüße aus München

Jan

4. Juliapiano

pianist
    Home Page:
    Last Name:
    Froschhammer
    First Name:
    Julia
    Hi David and Jan,
    thanks a lot for your nice comments. :D I also like this late romantic-impressionistic style a lot. The composer was one of the piano teachers of my father, so we had from childhood on each year the pleasure to visit his wife in his beautiful house with garden in the in the bavarian mountains, called "house harmony". For me this place was very much corresponding to the atmosphere of this music, which we of course heard a lot at home. There are also nice pieces for piano, some other chamber music, lots of Lieder and a great piano quartett... I also remember this famous sight reading school 8)

nice to hear sth. from Munich 8) , schöne Grüße auch von mir!!!
    ich denke, wir kommen wieder für ein Konzert, dieses Jahr...

Best!
    Julia

5. Rachfan

Rachfan Active Member Piano Society Artist

Chief Operating Officer, retired
    Last Name:
    April
    First Name:
    David
    Hi Julia,

I just happened to think, are you and Felix familiar with the Russian composer Georgy Catoire's "Sonata Poem", Op. 20 for violin and piano? It's a stunningly beautiful late romantic work. If you have not heard it, there is a performance of it (in three parts) on YouTube. Here is the link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tpszICGw54g

If I had a violinist collaborator here, I'd learn the piece myself!

David

6. Juliapiano

pianist
    Home Page:
    Last Name:
    Froschhammer
    First Name:
    Julia
    Hi David,
    thanx, it´s a nice idea :idea: and very good piece, little bit in direction of Fauré´s music, and very passionate. I didn´t know this, Felix knew it, as he told me. Perhaps we´ll do it once...or you find a violinist :wink: and do it yourself... very good choice, anyway.
    Thanks and all best!
    Julia :)

7. techneut

techneut Active Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    Good to see you back Julia :!:

I can recognize this is a worthy, sincere, and well-wrought work even if it does not do much for me at first hearing. Ravel was what I heard most in it - minus the excitement. Maybe this is the kind of work that only springs to life after repeated hearing.

Splendidly performed by both of you, congratulations ! Though I find the thin, dry, and distant sound a bit off-putting. It is not to be helped, I suppose.

As for putting the videos on the site, I think we should not do that. We must be more careful about bandwidth, and have in the past restricted videos to only one per person. My personal opinion is that Piano Society is the hope of mp3's, and movies belong on Youtube or similar sites, who do that much better than we do (and have far more resources). As these movements are all under 10 minutes, it's no problem to upload them to Youtube and if you want, you can have the links to them on your home page.

8. Juliapiano

pianist
    Home Page:
    Last Name:
    Froschhammer
    First Name:
    Julia
    Hi Chris,
    thanks for the nice compliments. :idea: Of course I also can put it on You tube and we make a little link on my profile, this is a very good idea. Just give me a little bit time and I ll write here, when I did it.
    Best regards!
    Julia :wink: