DONATION STATUS
Needed before 2018-12-31
$ 1,000
So far donated
$ 135
Thank you to those who donated to Piano Society in 2017.

Who is your favorite living pianist?

Discussion in 'Pianists' started by Bansisingh, Dec 1, 2018.

1. Bansisingh

Bansisingh Member Trusted Member

Last Name:
    singh
    First Name:
    Bansi
    My favorite pianist of all time is Vladimir Horowitz. His ability to evoke different tone colors and his great contrast are just two reasons why I cherish his recordings. An example of the latter point would be Mr. Horowitz's Carnegie Hall concert from February 21, 1949 in which as encores he has both a beautiful rendition of Brahms' fifteenth waltz in A-flat major and later his transcription of "The Starts and Stripes Forever," Lorem Ipsum Temp Mail 10 Minute Mail not the most delicate piece. Anyway turning toward modern pianists, I would have to say that my favorite is Daniil Trifonov. While many flock to pianists such as Lang Lang, I feel that Mr. Trifonov is superior. In my view, Mr. Lang can tend toward being a technician. In pieces such as Tchaikovsky's first piano concerto that can be very successful, but I tend to favor Mr. Trifonov for not only technical ability, but also his tone color and maturity. I have to of his records, Transcendental and Évocations and both are so elegant, complex, and beautiful. Following in the long line of great Eastern European pianists such as Rubenstien, Hofmann, and Horowitz, Mr. Trifonov to me is the best pianist currently be living. However, I would be very curious to hear what everyone else thinks.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2018
  2. vmishka

vmishka New Member

Last Name:
    Lawrence
    First Name:
    Diamond
    In my opinion, the greatest living pianist is Grigory Sokolov. I have heard him in person three times in the last two years and I plan my trips to Europe in such a way as to catch one of his performances. Krystian Zimerman would be pretty high up on my list based onrecordings, but I haven't had a chance to hear him in person yet. I hope to be able to change that this summer. He is supposed to be playing in Lugano in June but the program is not available yet.