DONATION STATUS
Needed before 2017-12-31
$ 1,000
So far donated
$ 1,055
Thank you to those who donated to Piano Society in 2016.
A big thank you to Project Petrucci who has helped us already meet our 2017 goal!

Which Piano sonata by Which composer Should I go to?

Discussion in 'Repertoire' started by Skydiver1988, Nov 12, 2014.

1. Skydiver1988

Skydiver1988 New Member

Hi All, I am new here my name is Roland, I have played funerals weddings, and church services, Have studied with teacher before need to get back to that, my question is, I am ready to start a major piano sonata, not necessarily major, but I want to work and learn a sonata, I have done clementi, I have learned Handel's Hallelujah Chorus, My advice I need is what is a good composer to start with for my first sonata, and which opus and number? all the help would be much appreciated.
    Cheers
    Roland

2. techneut

techneut Active Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    Hi, welcome. If you've played Clementi you may take naturally to Mozart. The Sonata Facile is a good one to start. It is not difficult but by no means trivial, and worth the effort. Like Bach, Mozart teaches you clean and exacting playing, articulation, phrasing, the lot. If you learn to play such a sonata really well you will have come a long way.

3. Skydiver1988

Skydiver1988 New Member

Much thanks Chris, one other question, What publisher/editor do you think would be the best for this piece, I know there are thousands and I want the best advice with fingering and etc.

4. techneut

techneut Active Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    For the classical repertoire, if you want the best edition that will last you for a lifetime, and do not need to skimp on money, always pick Henle Urtext. They never disappoint. Wiener Urtext Edition en Barenreiter Urtext are also of very high standard, great paper and cover quality, sturdy binding, editorial comments. I have only a lousy dog-eared Peters Edition that mostly lacks all those qualities :( I'd buy different now but they'll have to do.
    I you really want something special, and have bags of money, pick the Henle clothbound edition.

5. pianophir

pianophir New Member

Prokofiev sonata in a minor!