DONATION STATUS
Needed before 2016-12-31
$ 2,500
So far donated
$ 750

What software you use to compose music?

Discussion in 'Composing' started by Anonymous, Jun 20, 2006.

1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Just wondering what are tools do you guys use to make your music. Like notation software, sequencers, library samples, pencil and paper, etc.

2. lol_nl

lol_nl New Member

I use Sibelius. I like pencil and paper more, but it takes too much time.

3. robert

robert New Member Piano Society Artist

Home Page:
    Last Name:
    Stahlbrand
    First Name:
    Robert
    http://pianosociety.com
    WLM:
    robertstahlbrand@hotmail.com
    I use the piano only. or sometimes compose in my car to and from work (singing). I often record it long before I care to write it down to sheet...if I ever do. Compose on computer does not work for me. It ruins the feeling for me.

When I make a sheet out of it, I use Sibelius or LilyPond.

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I use pencil\pen also.

I don't like composing with computer because for me it decreases the idea of the composition. It easily goes to just hitting in the notes into computer.
    One exeption I have is my very first string quartet wich I wrote straight to Sibelius (alltough the whole piece was in my head before writing down).

I think it is faster to write down to sheet with hands. Nowdays I try to write nicely so I don't have to re-write compositions with computer to make them neat. (usually with bad succes ) :D

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Before my computer was destroyed by hurricane Katrina, I used Cubase. The program allowed me to play while it recorded it and when I was finish it would print the sheet music on command. Now, I use paper and pen.

7. Kschyschtoff

Kschyschtoff New Member

sound engineering
    I prefer paper and pen to all of software like Finale, Sibelius, Encore... I can write faster. Really faster. That's a pity I've got keyboard and cable, but my computer "doesn't want" it :p
    With a mouse I can write about 2 minutes per hour [symphonic orchestra]. With pen I can write it muuuch faster ;)

I use Finale for uploading scores into computer.

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I really depends where I am. I prefer to write with a pen and paper, because that is more fulfilling as a composer, but the computer is helpfull to make it neat. Also, I seem to write using a lot of chords, and my chord writing is very messy. It just helps for it to be on the computer, so I can see the chords properly.

9. r590

r590 New Member

Ive tried Finale, but I like Sibelius the best for notation. But I don't compose in Sibelius, I find that too difficult. Since I don't have a piano at home, I sometimes experiment with pieces with a "piano" on my computer. Then I write them down on paper or in a MIDI sequencer. But I have found Sibelius is very easy to input notes as you think of them because you can use the keyboard, instead of clicking with a mouse.

10. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Depending for the genre.
    I use initially, for the draft, pentagrammed paper und pen.
    After,
    1) well-printed papers and 0.8 black ink pen, for acoustic pieces (it's the case of piano), or
    2) Cubase for electronic, microtonal, virtually orchestred pieces.

(and excuse me for the very bad english... :roll: )

11. schmonz

schmonz Amitai Schlair Piano Society Artist

Home Page:
    Last Name:
    Schlair
    First Name:
    Amitai
    I've done music theory assignments in Sibelius but am finding it tedious for real music. (I can't compose at a computer anyway, part of my brain shuts off.) I'm getting started with LilyPond and it takes some getting used to, but I'm pretty sure it'll be very fast for notating once I get the hang of it.