Thank you to those who donated to Piano Society in 2017.

Weird things on Ebay

Discussion in 'General' started by pianolady, Jan 24, 2013.

1. rainer

rainer New Member

Yes. I'm convinced they will all sound "passable" in the context for which they were designed. They would all work as practical music to which to waltz, without the music seeming weird to the dancers. That doesn't mean they would all be particularly great pieces of music. I think Mozart will just have been having a bit of fun, demonstrating how easily and formulaically waltzes can be written. The harmony tends to follow a fairly fixed pattern, and within that framework you can modify each bar in several ways without changing its harmony. That helps to ensure that independently varied neighbouring bars will still "fit".

2. techneut

techneut Active Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    Not likely to happen.
    Perhaps we should all hop over to Facebook, as many of out (former) members have already done. I'm starting to feel like forums are outdated.

3. musical-md

musical-md Active Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Physician, Chief Medical Officer
    Last Name:
    Del Rio
    First Name:
    Eddy
    I would call what is done by the dice thrower here as aleatoric "construction," not composing, for Mozart has already considered all the harmonic structure and determined and limited (delimited) the set of possible. However, having made this nit-pick, I never new this and do find it interesting. How is this writing titled or referrenced? Does it have a place in the catalogues?

4. rainer

rainer New Member

Quite so. The real composing has already been done by Mozart. I used quote marks around "composing" because the word appears in the title.
    It is (somewhat ramblingly) titled "ANLEITUNG Walzer oder Schleifer mit 2 Würflen zu componieren, so viele man will, ohne etwas von der Musik oder Composition zu verstehen."
    or "INSTRUCTION To compose without the least knowledge of Music so much German Walzer or Schleifer as one pleases, by throwing a certain Number with two Dice."

Wikipedia mentions catalogue number K294d, and an additional K516f relating to construction of polonaises using two-bar phrases. It also mentions similar projects by Kirnberger (of temperament fame) and CPE Bach. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Musikalisches_Würfelspiel.

5. pianoman342

pianoman342 Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Tucker
    First Name:
    Riley
    Would be interesting to have a composer use this method to write a waltz, to some extent all composition is based on certain templates. But when I say "to some extent" I don't mean the new stuff. The old stuff!

I think its nice to have a place to just talk about piano, with pianists and though some have gone to facebook, I wonder if it will go out of fashion in the near future, as it was with myspace. Now it is little more than a free place for musicians to flaunt there tour dates and recordings demos. And it use to be just like facebook... :?

6. techneut

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    Yes that much is true. I must admit FB confuses me still (getting old, hehe) and a good old-fashioned forum has something comforting.

7. pianolady

pianolady Monica Hart, Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    Today's weird find....

It's some sort of photograph altered in way that it becomes art. Very weird! I don't even know what to say about it. I do wonder if the artist thought about placing Chopin's hand down just a little.... :wink:

8. pianoman342

Last Name:
    Tucker
    First Name:
    Riley
    :shock: You pick the wildest things Monica!! :lol:

I don't know why but this reminds me of The Beatles Sgt. Pepper's album cover. There were so many people photoshopped on it.

But in this photo, Chopin looks like a Zombie... :wink:

Oh dear! That poor statue! :wink:

9. pianolady

pianolady Monica Hart, Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    You're right! I didn't look at it like that before. That's so funny!! :lol:

You mean, poor Chopin! He'd get quite a handful. But then again.... :p

If I'm not mistaken, I think I saw this sculpture is outside the Louvre.

10. pianoman342

Last Name:
    Tucker
    First Name:
    Riley
    In honor of valentines day, a music box grand with a lovely, but simple message:

Now if only the frame was red instead of black and in the shape of a heart...

heaven will have to wait... :lol:

11. pianolady

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    blahhhh....I hate overly sentimental things. I bet that piano plays the theme from "Love Story" too. Yuck!
    Riley, you made me wonder what a hear-shaped piano would look like, so I just made one....

12. rainer

rainer New Member

Very imaginative, but it looks more like a pair of underpants! :lol: :lol:

13. pianoman342

Last Name:
    Tucker
    First Name:
    Riley
    You don't like overly sentimental things... I think I remember you saying that on some thread. Sorry, I forgot.. :oops:

Thanks! Cool.

The piano on the right... I've never seen a piano that faces that direction! It reminds me of an apple watch that had the hands moving counterclockwise instead of clockwise. On it read, "think different." 8)

Yes, a pair of breifs to be sure :wink:

14. pianolady

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    Oh you guys.... :lol: Now I can't look at that photo without thinking of undies... :)

I flipped the image and then pasted it next to the other piano. Fun with Photoshop... :wink:

15. pianolady

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    It's Friday - that means I'm goofing off. :wink:

Found this on Ebay by another company, but this link works better. It's for CD's that teach you to play piano better using subliminal messages. Pretty ridiculous, isn't it? Or is it? Anyone ever try anything like this before? I'm game....maybe....What harm could it do?

http://www.subliminalhypnosiscds.com/Le ... FRTPVC.htm

16. pianoman342

Last Name:
    Tucker
    First Name:
    Riley
    Interesting concept. But to what extent can hypnosis help one... learn an instrument. Practice is proven, but hypnosis?! Hypnosis is an interesting topic. The imperius spell was an unforgivable curse in Harry Potter and could allow one wizard to hypnotize the other and make him or her do anything. But that's in a magical world created by J.K Rowling...

It would be interesting to try the CD out, but to answer your question, what harm could it do? You might waste $15.97 :lol: Then again, I haven't tried it. I doubt it would cause any health problems, I don't know. :|

EDIT: also there doesn't seem to be anything different from the learn piano page to the learn guitar page or the violin page..

but piano is a totally different instrument than either the violin or guitar? I don't get it? I guess once your hypnotized into playing one instrument you will be able to play all of them! 8)

17. techneut

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    Well, that surely proves it's a fraud. Few things can be more different to learn than piano and violin (my greatest respect goes to the very few people who master both, like Julia Fischer).

18. pianolady

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    What if I said that I started playing piano only a year ago. I started by listening to these CD's.... :)

19. pianoman342

Last Name:
    Tucker
    First Name:
    Riley
    Simple.

...I wouldn't believe you!

20. pianolady

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    Found on Ebay today. Not really weird, but the one for men is kinda cute...and funny! :)