Thank you to those who donated to Piano Society in 2017.

(Weekly recordings) Clementi/Schumann/Beethoven/Tchaikovski

Discussion in 'Submission Room' started by supitalp, Jan 10, 2010.

1. supitalp

supitalp New Member

2. pianolady

pianolady Monica Hart, Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    Hello again, Henri. We all know these pieces well, and I only could give them a brief listen-to just now, but everything sounds pretty good. I have an issue with the Clementi, but I don't have my music in front of me right now, so I'll tell you later. I'll also put up your recordings within the next day or so. That's a better photo too - I'll change it out, as well.

3. techneut

techneut Active Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    Well done Henri. I find it refreshing that you find pleasure in simpler pieces and try to interpret them best as you can. Makes a change from all these barnstorming youths who want to play Chopin, Liszt and Rachmaninov long before they're ready for it (been there, done that....). As Schumann already noted, there is more pride in doing a simple piece really well than doing a hard piece badly.

You play these solidly and musicianly, with good attention to detail and dynamics. Where you can gain, I think, is in phrasing and articulation. I'm not too keen on the sound here, it seems rather metallic with an obnoxious echo which bothered me most in the Beethoven.

Cool new picture too, posing with one hand on the keyboard like the old masters loved to do :D
    I've cut out the relevant part and put that on your page. You look so very serious though.

4. pianolady

pianolady Monica Hart, Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    These are up, Henri.

Clementi - After second hearing, I think you played this fine, except for your dynamics. I really didn't hear much difference and it could be that your score does not show dynamic markings. Mine does, and I guess I am used to more forte-marked places. The only other gripe I have is the sound of your keyboard, specifically when you come down on the quarter notes with staccato. The sound is unpleasant.

Beethoven - please be careful when submitting files - make sure to include all correct op. numbers, or K numbers, things like that. In this case, the WoO number. Saves me time from having to look things up.

5. RSPIll

RSPIll New Member

Church Musician, Choral Accompanist, Musical Theat
    (Chris or Monica -- the link to the Tchaikovsky seems to be broken)

6. supitalp

supitalp New Member

Hi !
    Thanks a lot for your comments and for uploading it :)

I virtually add a - post-production - reverb effect (with Gverb) which I find nice but I can soften it or even remove it on all recordings if you find it displeasing (I usually keep clean backups of my recordings).
    Another thing : I can't remember whether I had posted the Schumann piece or not, so tell me : have I forgotten it or did you decide it doesn't meet the quality standards of the site ? :lol:

Henri

7. pianolady

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    Sorry, I was in a rush earlier - the Tchaikovsky link is fixed and I did have your Schumann piece on my computer - I just forgot to process it when I was doing the others. It's all on the site now.

8. RSPIll

RSPIll New Member

Church Musician, Choral Accompanist, Musical Theat
    I quite enjoyed your Beethoven, Schumann, and Tchaikovsky.

The Clementi is played with a nice bright tempo and with great confidence. To me though, it had some odd accentuations. Just to point out a couple, the 4th 16th of the run in measure 2 gets a very strong accent followed by a rather weak beginning of the next beat. Also, some of the repeated 8th note figures seem to be stronger on the second half of the beat.

Overall, you play very well and it is very enjoyable.

Scott