Thank you to those who donated to Piano Society in 2017.

Weber's Last Thought Recordings

Discussion in 'Submission Room' started by PJF, Jul 16, 2007.

1. techneut

techneut Active Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
  2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

1) Is this also an adhesion to next "Debussy contest"?

2) I read somewhere on the site that you play on a "Gaveau" piano.
    Was it rebuilt? Are you satisfied? (also the "sound" of your recording seems very
    good to me) Which technique of recording do you use, which microphones?

Thank you and all best,
    Sandro

3. techneut

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    I'm not sure.... I don't really see the point of it. But perhaps I will record it.

It was revised some years ago, with new hammers, the keyboard relaid, and some other things. It is not an easy instrument to play (trills are a problem), it will never be a Yamaha or Steinway. But I am reasonably satisfied with it now, and very fond of the sound.

I use an Edirol R-1 with built-in mics, placed just 20 cm from the far end of the grand, on level with the rim. This seems to sound the best out of all positions I've tried, so I now stick to it. I find the sound of my recordings rather muffled but I guess it is just the character of the instrument. Many people say it sounds good and that is not bad :)

4. pianolady

pianolady Monica Hart, Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    Hi everybody. I'm home, now. But I have a splitting headache, as we've been driving around the state of Illinois for the past few days visiting colleges and universities to show my son, stopping in St. Louis for some 'touristy' stuff, and today what was supposed to be just a six hours drive home, instead took nine because there was road construction on every highway. I posted a couple pics at the 'picture's thread' - one is at Scott Joplin’s house.

So anyway, I finally got to hear your recordings of the Weber piece. Pete – you played it very sweetly, even with the ‘changed’ note. John – I think you really were trying to keep up with Chris’ music box. :lol: And I still don’t get where you played trills. Sandro – wow, you really know how to ‘enhance’ a piece! Rubato, staccatos, dynamic changes, tempo changes, it’s all in there.

This was a lot of fun. I would like to do it again. I have never played that Debussy piece, but willing to try. Are we doing it? If so, I may need a bit more time. I know I’ve only been away from my piano for five days, but I feel like I have forgotten how to play it.

5. PJF

PJF New Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Fournet
    First Name:
    Pierre
    How about (for the Debussy) we aim for one month from today? Are all the "Weber" recordings in?
    I defer to Sandro to choose what's next.

Another thread?

Pete :wink:

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

>
    How about (for the Debussy) we aim for one month from today?

It's ok for me. Also 2-3 weeks is good.
    I'll record it. Do you want to open the new thread (for the better english)?

All best,
    Sandro

7. pianolady

pianolady Monica Hart, Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    I just looked at the piece. It's on page 31-32, right? The name is on the bottom of page 32 so I'm not totally sure if I'm correct or if it is the next piece. Since it is only two pages, I think I can manage it in in less than a month. How about a happy compromise of three weeks from today - maybe the week of August 6-11?

8. techneut

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    Yes, Debussy wrote the titles at the end of his preludes rather than the beginning. Obviously wrote them first, then decided what they were about :lol:

9. pianolady

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    Thank you. :)

10. PJF

PJF New Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Fournet
    First Name:
    Pierre
    Goto new thread. :arrow: