Thank you to those who donated to Piano Society in 2017.

VILLA LOBOS - O Polichinelo (from Prole Do Bebe)

Discussion in 'Submission Room' started by kjarschka, Jan 11, 2008.

1. kjarschka

kjarschka New Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Bertoglio
    First Name:
    Chiara
  2. techneut

techneut Active Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    OMG :shock: Hurricane Bertoglio strikes again !

I don't think I have ever heard it so fast and furious... Yes it is marked Vivo, but this is more like Prestisisimimisimo. Also, it is marked piano from start, with only the last bars and some accents fortissimo, and this sounds like fortissimo throughout. Ah well, it is a crowd pleaser, and a very effective encore piece played like this - was it an encore ? I am intrigued you play the glissando at the end, as I remember Cristina Ortiz doing. I have always copied that - but I am not sure where it comes from, it is not in the Eschig score.

It is up on the site. Will you record more Villa-Lobos ?

3. nathanscoleman

nathanscoleman New Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Coleman
    First Name:
    Nathan
    Wow! Talk about a wake-me-up. That was stunning and overwhelming. I can't say anything about the performance as this is my first time hearing the piece, but you've obviously got talent oozing out everywhere. In fact, I think you left a little on the keyboard ... near the high E ... yeah that's it. :lol: Great, great piece.

4. robert

robert Active Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Home Page:
    Last Name:
    Stahlbrand
    First Name:
    Robert
    Wops! That was fast :). But this is a as-fast-as-you-can-piece I guess. You got quite a technique there.

5. kjarschka

kjarschka New Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Bertoglio
    First Name:
    Chiara
    touchée, Techneut!!!
    :)
    You are completely right... for being a musicologist, I show quite a good amount of nonchalance towards the text in this piece...!!!!!
    But - as you guessed (always the little bird that I didn't kill?) - I play this Villa Lobos as an encore, so it's "just" an effect-piece. In the context of the whole Prole do Bebé it would be rather different...
    :)
    I played only a Choros by Villa Lobos besides this encore. But he's a very interesting author, worth of more attention.
    Another interesting Brazilian composer is the... Swiss Ernest Widmer. I played his Second Piano Sonata and it's really nice.
    Warm hugs and thanks to everybody!