Thank you to those who donated to Piano Society in 2017.

video

Discussion in 'Repertoire' started by pianolady, Dec 12, 2007.

1. techneut

techneut Active Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    Hm, GF, let's see... Ground Fog, Good Fun, Gruppen Fuehrer ?

2. pianolady

pianolady Monica Hart, Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    Oh, all right! Grand Father is the first thing that came to my mind. Guess I had another 'dumb' moment.
    Girl Friend makes me feel much better. :)

3. bclever

bclever New Member

techneut, Alas, Ground Fog is very much closer to the truth than girlfriend! But that's a completely different thread :) Not to rub salt in your wounds Nathan but Kissin will be playing the Brahms
    first concerto. A few weeks ago we got to see Emanuel Ax play the second concerto.
    I learned a painful lesson that day. To me, Emanuel Ax and the Brahms concertos are the dream
    team. So in my usual brilliant style I plunked down the extra bucks for box seats, thinking wow
    what a view this will be! At Orchestra Hall in Chicago the box seats are not reserved so we got
    to the concert an hour and a half early so we could sit in the very front of the box and revel in
    the splendor. Well, that day they played Mozart's symphony No25 first and some other
    new piece by the resident composer and then the intermission comes. Now, there were all
    these old ladies in the box with us, and they were dressed very fine, and I could hear them
    squalking stuff about "who are they?" "what are they doing here?" "maybe we should tell them about the rules???" and all this kind of thing.

Well I did not know it and they sure educated me that in the box seats every body switches
    positions during the intermission so that those in back can see from a "different perspective".
    WHAT???? Fine, I'm fair so we moved to the back. And here is the lesson, the "different perspective"
    is that if you are not in the front, you CAN'T SEE ANYTHING!!!! I will never ever buy box seats there
    again. The only thing we got out of the experience is something to talk about because those
    finely dressed ladies turned out to be some of the richest ladies in Chicago and the U.S.
    (next to Oprah that is), the oldest of them was Mrs. Armour (from Armour Meats fame)
    who as Monica might know is the donor for the renovation of the stage at Orchestra Hall
    (it's called the Armour Stage).

4. techneut

techneut Active Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    Oh but you are just too good. I'd have stood my ground and said I'd come specifically to see EmAx up close, and if I'd have known the rules (which I couldn't have) I would have sat in the back for the first half, and that I'd do it properly the next time, but NOT now. Or you could have your Gruppen Fuehrer say that to them :lol:

5. nathanscoleman

nathanscoleman New Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Coleman
    First Name:
    Nathan
    Kissin playing the 1st?? *swooning just a bit in a jealous fit* .... Although, I've never heard him play the Brahms. But I have a recording of his Prokofiev 1st ... and it is sublime. The best ever! The Brahms # 1 is possibly my all time favorite ... if played well. Not played well, it's dreadful. Have you heard the Arrau? Those second movement trills are divine. Ok, I'm gonna stop waxing poetic now. Have fun!

6. Terez

Terez New Member

Student
    Yes, I did play through it a good bit when I was looking for something contemporary for my jury, and it's not nearly as easy as you make it look - so many of the fingering problems are just...awkward.

7. PJF

PJF New Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Fournet
    First Name:
    Pierre
    A few good rules of thumb when it comes to women are:

1: Never consider how they are, because you're wrong.
    2: When it comes to a woman's person, there's no such thing as a happy number, especially those that are need of downward rounding.
    3: Don't remind them how many kids they have, unless they're all married, fruitfully multiplying, college grads.

Of course, I'm kidding. Or am I... :?