Thank you to those who donated to Piano Society in 2017.

Video Chopin Ballade g minor

Discussion in 'Submission Room' started by MindenBlues, Jun 18, 2007.

1. juufa72

juufa72 New Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Grocholski
    First Name:
    Julius
    I've tried two different operating systems; four different video player systems; and the two links provided on this website--one in the forum and the other on the main site--and still it does not work for me. :x

2. johnmar78

johnmar78 New Member Piano Society Artist

Food chemist / pianist
    Home Page:
    Last Name:
    Mar
    First Name:
    John
    [ Regarding tempo, I think most people don't play in strict tempo, neither the slow nor fast sections, at least what I heard so far (Cortot, Rubinstein, Zimmerman etc.). Maybe I am too liberate in tempo, but often I heard I could also apply more rubato. But for sure, I will remember your words and try to keep tempo better on those places which seem appropriate for that. Thanks again for your comments, all that helps to improve!

I liked this part of comment by you Olaf. NON strict tempo and more liberate.........you are on.

3. pianolady

pianolady Monica Hart, Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    I still have the video saved on my computer. Will it help to send it to you guys directly from me? It opens right away on my computer with Windows Media Player.

4. techneut

techneut Active Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    It is almost 99% sure not the file being the problem, but the local Windows setup. I am using a very old computer with a very old version of Windows XP and as a result am not up-to-date with programs like Media PLayer. It's about time to shell out for a new one....

5. MindenBlues

MindenBlues New Member Piano Society Artist

Home Page:
    Last Name:
    Schmidt
    First Name:
    Olaf
    I am very sorry that there is trouble to open the video. :cry:

The problem is, that an *avi file seems to need certain codex which are not always loaded on the PC. However the filesize is somewhat acceptable with 27 MByte. The original *.mpg file has 180 MByte and I did not found any possibility to shrink it down to acceptable lower size. If anyone has a tip how to do that, please let me know so that I can provide a more common video format.

6. techneut

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    But it was an 180 Mb MPEG I downloaded, not a 26Mb AVI. Are you somehow mixing up the suffixes ?

The Window-specific formats usually work, it's the 'industry-standard' formats that give problems for MS. Then again, Apple QuickTime can't handle it either so I am not sure what to do.

7. hunwoo

hunwoo New Member

I think you need to have better computer or software.
    I can't play it with Windows Media player either, but if I use Gom player I can.

8. pianolady

pianolady Monica Hart, Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    Another member requested that I send the file, which I tried to do last night and again just now, but it will not work. My computer tells me there is not enough memory. I don't get that one, as it's already on my computer so why can't it just send it? Oh, well...confused as always.
    Olaf, my son is pretty computer savvy so I'll ask him is he knows how to shrink the file.

9. MindenBlues

Home Page:
    Last Name:
    Schmidt
    First Name:
    Olaf
    Many thanks! Please tell him to preserve the audio quality however, so please only shrink the video quality, if possible.

10. techneut

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    Yeah you got that right :)

Gom player, hm. I'd never heard of that one but it looks promising. Will try it out, thanks for the tip !

11. pianolady

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    Sorry, Olaf - my son does not know how to do it.

12. techneut

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    Oh no... now all is lost :lol:

At last I was able to watch this video. The GOM PLayer had no trouble with it (Hunwoo thanks for the tip :idea: :!: ). It had to go find and install a codec for MPEG-2 encoding but that was done without any fuss. Great piece of software, I can already recommend it. I had to make the video really small to be able to hear the audio without hickups (such is the sheer power of my PC ..)

It's very impressice Olaf. You obviously have put tons of dedication into this, and it shows. The couple of slips are few and far between and there is no reason not to be proud of this. I am not an expert on this piece (in fact it is not even in my Chopin top 10) so I cannot give any tips on interpretation. One thing I would say is do not let excitement run away with you, resulting in sudden rushes of tempo. But that may be personal.

13. MindenBlues

Home Page:
    Last Name:
    Schmidt
    First Name:
    Olaf
    Many thanks to your kind comments, Chris. It means much to me!

No, you are entirely right I think. I need to hold the horses sometimes, and often, the excitement leads to not be carefully enough regarding precise playing, tempo keeping, or on soft spots, that all notes are audible. But really, even after the 1000th playing or whatever, there are spots in that ballade at which the excitement does not disappear. In my case, it is probably not only among the top 10 Chopin pieces, it is number 1.
    I hope I got your point in that - sometimes it is better for the result to stay cool.

14. MindenBlues

Home Page:
    Last Name:
    Schmidt
    First Name:
    Olaf
    Many thanks to your kind comments, Chris. It means much to me!

No, you are entirely right I think. I need to hold the horses sometimes, and often, the excitement leads to not be carefully enough regarding precise playing, tempo keeping, or on soft spots, that all notes are audible. But really, even after the 1000th playing or whatever, there are spots in that ballade at which the excitement does not disappear. In my case, it is probably not only among the top 10 Chopin pieces, it is number 1.
    I hope I got your point in that - sometimes it is better for the result to stay cool and concentrate on correct output instead enjoying the input, so to say.

15. hunwoo

hunwoo New Member

Hey, I was just wondering what is the edition of this ballade on the site?

16. MindenBlues

Home Page:
    Last Name:
    Schmidt
    First Name:
    Olaf
    I am wondering too about the origin of the score on the site, the notes look different to my score. There is written something like "Röder Leipzig" on the first page, seems to be an old German edition. I used the Edition Peters, Scholz/Poszniak edition.

17. techneut

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    That is not how I would put it. My thought goes more like "you should always be the one in control of the piece, not the other way around".

18. pianolady

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    You both just said the same thing. :)

19. techneut

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    I don't think so. Control and enjoyment are not mutually exclusive.

20. pianolady

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    Olaf says to concentrate on the output, and you say to control the piece. That sounds like the same thing to me.