Thank you to those who donated to Piano Society in 2017.

upgrade chopin polonaise and etudes

Discussion in 'Submission Room' started by johnmar78, Nov 4, 2007.

1. johnmar78

johnmar78 New Member Piano Society Artist

Food chemist / pianist
    Home Page:
    Last Name:
    Mar
    First Name:
    John
    Hi everyone,

as documeneted that Chopin never play the same way twice. So this motivates me to rework on my old tunes. I beleive its a better playing, perhaps change of my method of approach or getting older?. I have soften down on the op53 and etudes. These are the more smooth playing and relaxed as you can see.

As usual, No editing involved but only add slience at beg and end. Cheers.

These are to replace my current files on site.

have your say.

Thanks

Chopin Polonaise Op. 53

Chopin Etude Op. 10, No. 5

Chopin Etude Op. 25, No. 1

2. techneut

techneut Active Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    I am not in favour of constantly submitting new recordings of the same works, at least not in such a short timespan. But I must admit you have improved considerably. I genuinely like the two etudes which sound pretty smooth and musical now, especially the 25-1. The 10-5 has some stiffness here and there, which is not much of a problem as it is otherwise nicely done. The closing bars are not convincing though, youw suddenly slow down and yet do not get it quite right even in the slower tempo. I know you take pride in not editing, but I would have done a couple of re-takes for these bars and chosen the best one to paste onto the rest.

The Polonaise then, marked ambitiously "till end of time". So this is the last, final, definitive performance ? I've heard that before :lol: To be honest, although there are quite some good things here, and your overall grasp is solid, this is still sloppy, rhythmically erratic, and riddled with mistakes. Whether it is better than the current version I could not say, but I am sure you will want to work on this one more.

3. John Robson

John Robson New Member Piano Society Artist

Retired
    Last Name:
    Robson
    First Name:
    John
    Chopin

Great, Johnmar! Your performance of the etudes has improved remarkably. You must have been practicing them quite diligently. I particularly liked the Op. 25, No. 1. I use that one often as an exercise for wrist flexibility and stretching for my small hands. Slowly playing it seems to help me warm up my hands when I begin practicing. I'm a full believer that Chopin's Etudes are invaluable for developing one's technique. I have never posted any of them nor do I have any plans to do so, but I find them invaluable for piano technique. That absolutely does not infer that they are not masterpieces in their own right.

I agree with Chris that although the Polonaise contains some sections well played, there are still a few parts that will benefit from more work. All in all, a good job. Your playing has improved considerably since the first time I heard you. That's what we all want to do. Right?

4. johnmar78

Food chemist / pianist
    Home Page:
    Last Name:
    Mar
    First Name:
    John
    thanks guys.

John, You asked me either I worked hard on these pieces...the answer is NO. So as to you Chris. All done in a matter of short time. I am working on new etudes. My aim approach of these, is to play it musically but not mechnaically. This is why I retake these takes. The ending bar on op10/5 was the main concern. Sometimes I speed up, some times I dnt. But I have decided to keep in tempo(the octave decending). The recording room has switched from my old house to new house. Perhaps it gives more echoing effects...

These pieces are played and done in no efforts as in"physical efforts", this is what I have aimed-relaxzation and fully ultralise weight playing and muscle coordination. and I have proved it to my self. It is true you can play these pieces with no physical extertion.... as a result it gives me a better smooth tone so as control over my playing. Erartic tempo -Chris...sorry thats me. I enjoyed it.....

thank you for listening.... :wink:

Ps Chris I forgot to add"till end of time" is the song pepole made out of that op53....

so no more rework for a while.....one year. :wink:

5. pianolady

pianolady Monica Hart, Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    These have all been replaced, John.

And I agree with the others. The etudes are good.
    The Polonaise - I still think your LH octaves in that hard part is really good. But the missed notes in the very beginning is...how should I say...kind of surprising, since this is about the only easy part. Also, I think you should be stronger when the theme comes back in on the second time and all other times afterwards. It needs that 'mighty' feel. I also noticed that perhaps you can use a little more pedal in the pretty part where the LH comes in low on the first beat. I hope you don't take offense. You still play it better than I ever could.

6. johnmar78

Food chemist / pianist
    Home Page:
    Last Name:
    Mar
    First Name:
    John
    thanks Monica and your work for PS. Here is my return oZ.
    Ok, I should check the rh at beginning. and stronger theme at the second return and more pedalling in pretty section.
    On op53, the lh I fixed up all the 10th chord that previous were played without thought. And I did this this time. On the preety section I streched the tempo and gives a betetr breathing between phases. Toward the ending, I increase the tempo as I felt at the time to give a dramctic ending......

This also found in Askenazy playing but not in Matha Argrich......