Thank you to those who donated to Piano Society in 2017.

Two short organ pieces

Discussion in 'Submission Room' started by techneut, Nov 6, 2009.

1. techneut

techneut Active Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
  2. musicusblau

musicusblau Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

High-school-teacher with subjects music and german
    Last Name:
    Pfaul
    First Name:
    Andreas
    Hi Chris,
    to Mendelssohn: nicely played, but it´s Sonata no. 4, not no. 5. I followed along with score. It´s a nice polyphony and I like Mendelssohn and also his organ-pieces very much. My only nitpicking is, that I have heard a noise around 0:27, but I suppose, it´s note-perfectly played (with the score from imslp.org I had to turn my head all the time, because the scan is in a vertical position). It´s interesting to see, that there is also a piano four hands transcription of the organ sonatas op. 65 availabe on imslp.org.

to Bach: did you play this from the Generalbass-version (I could find only the alternative with Generalbass-Notation) or did you have a full notated version. Sounded very well for me. Good work.

3. techneut

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    Oops, yes, corrected it.

Yes it is :) The noise is my foot slipping off a pedal and the damn thing jumping up with a bang. THis organ is rather noisy and unforgiving.

(with the score from imslp.org I had to turn my head all the time, because the scan is in a vertical position). It´s interesting to see, that there is also a piano four hands transcription of the organ sonatas op. 65 availabe on imslp.org.

I'm not sure what you mean, who's this General Bass ? I just used the version
    from IMSLP. It's a manualiter piece.

THanks for the feedback !

4. musicusblau

musicusblau Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

High-school-teacher with subjects music and german
    Last Name:
    Pfaul
    First Name:
    Andreas
    Hi Chris

techneut wrote:
    It´s a very old "person" :lol: . The online-dictionary says "Generalbass"=thorough bass, or: basso continuo. It´s a bass voice with numbers like 6 for Sextakkord, 64 for Quartsextakkord etc. The player knows, which chord he has to play, when he sees the numbers under the bass-tone.
    During my studies I have learned to play Generalbass, btw.

5. techneut

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    Oh right, you mean figured bass :!: I know about that and have tried to learn it, as it occurs in some pieces in my Bach book. While it's not hard to understand, it would take me a lot of practice to get comfortable with it. You need to read and interpret is just as easily as notes, and I did not see the point in devoting much time on that archaic thing. I would not want to learn organ tabulature either.