Thank you to those who donated to Piano Society in 2017.

Two organ rerecordings

Discussion in 'Submission Room' started by techneut, Jan 18, 2009.

1. techneut

techneut Active Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
  2. musicusblau

musicusblau Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

High-school-teacher with subjects music and german
    Last Name:
    Pfaul
    First Name:
    Andreas
    I enjoyed your recordings very much, Chris.
    The Pachelbel sounds very clear and accurate (I only found one little slip, I think, so this is really nitpicking), also the Bach, especially the soft registers in piano I like here very much. This is really heavenly music! (I will listen to your Mikrokosmos 2 later, the download needs about an hour, but I´m curious on it.)

3. techneut

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    In the end I was thoughly fed up with the Pachelbel. When I finally had a perfect recording I somehow managed to power off the Edirol without pushing the End button. So the track was not saved and I had to start over again and needed another 3 or 4 takes to get it right again. I seem to not have noticed this slip when playing, only afterwards. But of course you noticed it :x

4. musicusblau

musicusblau Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

High-school-teacher with subjects music and german
    Last Name:
    Pfaul
    First Name:
    Andreas
    Techneut wrote:
    I know this kind of experience. When I did my takes of my last Bach-recording (p+f b-flat major) I lost nearly the whole work of a recording-session, because I forgot to click on the start-button of my WaveLab-program. So, I was so frustrated, that I decided to stop recording on this evening and went to the kitchen and drunk a beer. So life can be. :roll:

5. pianolady

pianolady Monica Hart, Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    Recording troubles this week must be contagious because I had a problem with my Edirol. I dropped it ( probably the hundredth time) and the battery cover popped off and the batteries and sound card flew across the room. I put everything back together and it looked like it was fine, so I went back to recording. But when I brought the machine to my computer and played back the file, it was so soft that I could barely hear it. Everything was the same, placement, input recording level, etc...I thought the fall must have damaged the built-in microphones. But then I got out the manual and read about the little switch on the back that changes the sensitivity of the mics from low to high. Somehow, the fall switched the switch to the wrong way. So let that be a lesson to all you Edirol users - if you drop the recorder, check that switch on the back.

6. techneut

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    Damn bloody gravity, eh. Think you'd get used to it after a while wouldn't you :lol:

What happened here is that I accidentally kicked the socket of the extension power chord, which was lying on the floor, causing a tiny power cut to the Edirol. It did not turn off but apparently decided to leave recording mode without saving. It pisses me that it does not have the decency to auto-save... if you don't press that end button you have nothing but a zero-size file.

7. Rachfan

Rachfan Active Member Piano Society Artist

Chief Operating Officer, retired
    Last Name:
    April
    First Name:
    David
    Hi Chris,

I listened to both of these works. Both of your performances were fine indeed. Great job!

You know, whenever I listen to Bach being played on organ, somehow I come away with a wholly different--that is, a more favorable--appreciation of the composer, as opposed to the harpsichord pieces that today we play on piano. Where the organ is far more sustaining and blending, I believe that the complexity, ingenuity and richness of Bach's intertwined melodies and harmonies become so much more striking and profound. In fact, they even become 21st century.

David

8. techneut

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    Thanks David. For sure I lavished great care on them.

This is so true :!: I have found that one can not fully appreciate Bach on the basis of his harpsichord works alone. At a minimum, the cantatas, passions, and (especially) the organ works are indispensible to get a more complete picture of his all-encompassing genius.

Just this morning in organ lesson, we were musing about how radically advanced Bach could be in his organ works. In some chorales, more often than not based on church tunes that were already old by then, he casts his shadow right into modern times with his daring harmonic twists and deliberate, grinding dissonants.

One important thing I learn from my teacher is to appreciate and gleefully relish these moments, which is so much more fun on organ than on piano. But it's very finicky - keep the note a fraction too short or too long and it's spoiled.

Truly, Bach's music effortlessly bridges many centuries. Many musicians after him (including his own sons) who thought him stuffy and old-fashioned could not hold a candle to his originality. I believe no greater genius has ever lived and maybe never will.

Oops, seems I got carried away a bit once again.... Sorry :wink: