DONATION STATUS
Needed before 2016-12-31
$ 2,500
So far donated
$ 805

Two Friedman transcriptions from Bach cantatas

Discussion in 'Submission Room' started by Anonymous, Apr 5, 2007.

1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

2. Tobias

Tobias New Member Piano Society Artist

Home Page:
    Last Name:
    Sing
    First Name:
    Tobias
    http://www.myspace.com/tobiassing
    Just listened to "Wachet auf ruft uns die Stimme" - beautiful playing! I love the changing between homophonic and polyphonic passages in this one. It's a while since I last heard Busoni's transcription, but I couldn't notice any major differences in the Friedman (but maybe I didn't remember it correctly). Did you look at both? If so, what made you prefer this one over the Busoni?

Oh and btw, I have the same digital piano as you - I bought it to have something "portable" with me for holidays etc (here's a photo), but I soon realized it's more heavy than I thought and my girlfried hates it as she has to help me carry this 35+ kg monster all the time... :)

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

:lol: :lol:

My wife also hate it (but it's because I rarely play with headphones), but all return OK when I begin to speak about a possible new grand-piano. To tell all the story, I have already invaded our home
    with a mastodontic couple of spekers, and the grand piano could be too much....

All best,
    Sandro

4. John Robson

John Robson New Member Piano Society Artist

Retired
    Last Name:
    Robson
    First Name:
    John
    Transcriptions

I enjoyed listening to both of these. They seem to me like romanticized Bach. I don't play enough Bach. On the advice of a couple of Piano Society pianists, I have begun to play some Bach again. I'm hesitant to play Bach because the interpretation, phrasing, and tempo are so very subjective, and I have no teacher to guide me.

5. robert

robert New Member Piano Society Artist

Home Page:
    Last Name:
    Stahlbrand
    First Name:
    Robert
    http://pianosociety.com
    WLM:
    robertstahlbrand@hotmail.com
    Kawai sponsring, I have nothing against that! Any contacts? Sending an email to info@kawai.com will not do it ;).

I have put up these recordings but I must admit that my very little experience with the Bach Cantatas prevents from give any valuable critique. Also, I choosed to put them up as a Bach composition rather than a Friedman transcription. Not sure if that is right or wrong and perhaps I was just lazy :eek:.

The playing seems fine by me and as already mentioned the transcription are romantic Bach if that term exists. Anyway, very good job and it is great to add another category to our dear Bach.

6. techneut

techneut Active Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    These arrangements are IMO not as skilful and sympathetic as Busoni's. Especially in the BWV 208 there are some decidedly clumsy harmonies, and Friedman's combining of the two themes in the BWV 140 seems a bit contrived (I know this is difficult to bring off in Busoni's transcription). Personally I do not care for romanticized Bach, and everything that others feel they need to 'add' to his music only diminishes it. Bit of a snotty purist attitude I suppose... And there are exceptions of course - I hugely admire Rachmaninov's transcription of the first violin Partita. Much better than anything by the more well-known Bach transcribers.

But your playing of them is masterful once again, and those who like this sort of stuff need to look no further. Nothing to niggle about except I find the rubato and right-before-left a bit too much in places.

Am still unsure whether pieces like this should be filed under Bach (which surely is easier) or under the transcriber (as we also did on some cases). This will continue to be confusing for people out there looking for Bach transcriptions. Not to mention where to file Liszt-Wagner or Horovitz-Bizet and god knows what other combinations we could get....

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

8. techneut

techneut Active Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    I am not the boss, Robert is !