Thank you to those who donated to Piano Society in 2017.

Two Chopin Opus 28 Preludes

Discussion in 'Submission Room' started by epf, May 7, 2008.

1. epf

epf New Member

Author/Computer Geek
  2. pianolady

pianolady Monica Hart, Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    I have some good news but also some bad (sorry).

The good news is that your no. 7 prelude is fine. I'll put it up later.

The bad news is that your no. 4 is not fine. I'm afraid it's back to the drawing board with this one.

Here are my nitpicks:

- Many times your LH sounds like it is coming down uneven, like a guitar strumming.

- Also every now and then the pedal was left down too long. Specifically going from bar 2 into bar 3.

- Bar 16 - the turn sounded a little 'uncomfortable', and also the rhythm was wrong in the RH. the last beat should be F# dotted 8th to a 16th note E.

- Bar 17 - 3rd RH note should be a high C.

- Bar 18 - LH 3rd 8th note chord is wrong - should be E,F#,C

- Top RH notes on the final two bars need to come out more.

Remember, (this was just mentioned recently when another person submitted a recording of the same piece) since this music is so well-known, relatively easy, and we have many recordings of it on the site, any new recording should be really good!

3. techneut

techneut Active Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    Indeed, nothing wrong with the nr.7. Although it's rather dull - it could do with some rubato, dynamics and phrasing.
    As for the no.4, I can only echo Monica. It's just not good enough. In a short easy piece like this, and sooooo well-known, there is no excuse for slips.

4. liszt1970

liszt1970 New Member

Pianist / Teacher
    Home Page:
    I'm not looking at a score as I listen to this, but here are some comments.

Besides the suggestions already mentioned, I think number 4 is a truly heartfelt rendition. The pacing is really nice, never rushed, or forced. It sounds like you recorded it on a digital piano. How much better it would sound on an acoustic.

I think number 7 could benefit from a simpler approach. It is not really a profound piece, even though it is a great piece. Perhaps slightly quicker and lighter, and maybe a little more playful?

5. epf

epf New Member

Author/Computer Geek
    Thank you -- I was working on playing it as I felt it, although there are technical mistakes in it that I hear now (always after I submit it). And, yes, it was on a digital piano. My M&H is literally in the shop being rebuilt. Apparently when it was at my parents home it got rained on and water leaked into the workings. I first noticed it when the damper pedal would not return the dampers to the strings. The tech came to work on it and -- wow -- significant damage inside that simply took a while to take hold. Don't know when I'll get it back.

I may try to re-record this and make it a little lighter. Thanks for the suggestion!

Ed

6. pianolady

pianolady Monica Hart, Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    So Ed, does that mean you do not want me to put up no.7?

7. techneut

techneut Active Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    It got rained on .. :shock: :shock: :shock:
    Don't tell me it was stored outside ? Tell your parents to take better care with your stuff !
    Actually when a piano has been really soaking wet it is usually beyond repair.

8. epf

epf New Member

Author/Computer Geek
    Yeah, go ahead and put it up. If I get a chance I'll record it again, but for now I want to get number 4 done right.

Ed

9. epf

epf New Member

Author/Computer Geek
    It was in the house and the roof leaked while they were out of town. Looks like the water got underneath the piano and was drawn up though the dry wood. At the time it was their piano -- the one I had learned on as a child. I had a rental piano and, when they moved back to California in their declining years dad was no longer able to play the piano so they gave it to me. Since my parents are both sleeping the long sleep it's no longer possible to tell them anything.

If it's beyond repair (and I should know in a couple of weeks) I will consider a grand piano when I move to Texas after my retirement (in five years). Until then I'll play the digital piano.

Ed

10. pianolady

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    Ok, number 7 is up.

You can delete your no. 4 attachment in this thread if you want to. Or I can do it, if you have trouble doing so.

11. pianolady

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    Ed, I hope you come back here, because I just saw something on another site that made me think of you.

Click on this link: http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio3/classical/c ... ndex.shtml

Once on that page, go to the Chopin piano tutorials. The pianist/teacher tells how to play the prelude 28/7. He goes into a lot of detail! Hope you don't think I'm trying to 'lecture' you or anything like that. I just thought this may be helpful. I learned some things from this, as well.