Thank you to those who donated to Piano Society in 2017.

Tveitt- The long, long, Winter Night

Discussion in 'Submission Room' started by arensky, Jul 16, 2009.

1. arensky

arensky New Member

Musician
    Home Page:
    Tveitt; it isn't just for techneut anymore! :lol:

I've had this score for four or five years now, and randomly took it to a recording session last night; you'll hear my main project next week, as well as one or two more of these pieces. This piece alone is so beautiful that it belongs in the repertory of every pianist, imo. Enjoy!

Tveitt - 50 Hardanger Tunes - 37: The long, long, Winter Night

2. techneut

techneut Active Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    Oh dammit, there goes my monopoly :lol:
    I was wondering when you would start on these Chase. This book is a real treasure trove, even if not all of them are of equal quality.
    Good performance of this great little piece, in fact it sounds very similar to mine (a backhanded compliment is ever there was one). You leave the pedal down a bit longer it seems, creating a certain haze which is maybe not inappropriate for this piece. I'm looking forward to hearing your other items, because despite that I know these very well, I have actually never heard one on piano (except part of no.50 played by my teacher).

3. pianolady

pianolady Monica Hart, Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    Sorry boys, but I don't see what is so great about these pieces. I don't care for them too much. To me, it sounds like the composer is trying too hard. And how do you pronounce his name - is it a long i sound?

I've got this almost up - Chris, I need some space under the table.

4. techneut

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    That's ok. I have that with Granados often :p

No clue. Just don't pronounce it.

Done.

5. pianolady

pianolady Monica Hart, Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    ooga booga right back at ya. :lol:

6. arensky

arensky New Member

Musician
    Home Page:
    I'm not sure that they're not all of equal quality, but some are more dissonant and removed than others, and harder to appreciate, not to mention play.

And yours sounds a lot like Leif Ove Andsnes' the only other one I know. An interesting aside, he plays A instead of G on the first beat in the RH melody in measure 5; perhaps he knows something we don't. Also, I noticed you too caught the clef misprint in "What Beer!" at the third system on the second page.

I use the sostenuto pedal (which I hardly ever touch) for sustaining the initial bass note for the whole piece, allowing me to clear the other harmonies with the damper pedal instead of having mud through the five measures of pedal he marks with each bass note.

Next week I expect I will post "What Beer!" and "The most beautiful Song on Earth", in addition to my main project. Thanks for the thumbs up! :D

7. arensky

arensky New Member

Musician
    Home Page:
    /quote]
    Interesting on both counts; I think these are two composers who are simply writing, not trying at all. Though with Tveitt, it's different because of the modern harmonic language he uses

Just looked for one of those speaking pronunciation keys, but couldn't find one. Oh well, I think the second vowel determines the vowel sound, as in German. Any Norwegians here?

8. techneut

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    Yes this book is rife with misprints, most common are the omission of clef changes and 8va markings. One has to be very attentive. Problem is that Tveitt is a bit unpredictable so you're sometimes not sure whether something is wrong or intended.
    I am glad to hear I sound like Andsnes, even if only in one little easy piece :D But what you say puzzles me, there is no G at all in bar 5 !

Ah I see. I use more half pedaling here to hold some of the bass note. At par 21 it says pedal down, and there is never a pedal up sign :? Sometime he's very finicky with pedal markings and sometime downright sloppy.

Cool, looking forward. And are you working on no.50 yet ?

I'll ask my teacher who is half Norwegian (obviously Grieg and Tveitt are staple diet in my lessons now :) but this is my choice, not his )

9. pianolady

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    I agree with that. Granados many times merely wrote down what he had just improvised.

10. arensky

arensky New Member

Musician
    Home Page:
    Duh, I meant bar 4, he plays A on the first beat in the RH melody. Both sound okay to me...

Cool, looking forward. And are you working on no.50 yet ?

No. 50 ? :twisted: :wink:

I've looked at it quite a bit; you know, I'm considering playing a group of these on my next recital, in late October, it depends on what else I play. I'll be running program ideas by you guys soon in the repertoire board. If I play Tveitt No. 50 will probably be on the plate, IF I can handle it! :shock:

And what does he want you to play? :roll: :D

11. techneut

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    Yep, sounds ok, but I see no reason for doing it.

At least you have the choice..... :roll:

My teachers tend to go with my choices, as I seem to bring something new every lesson.
    I suggested digging into the Grieg Ballade, one of his repertoire pieces that I happen to love too and badly want to record. He also suggested doing something classical (Schubert, Mozart, Beethoven) for a change, which may not be a bad idea as we've concentrated on Grieg, Tveitt, and Bartok so far. Our interests are remarkably similar.

12. jlr43

jlr43 Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Technical Editor
    Last Name:
    Renouf
    First Name:
    Joe
    an interesting little piece, sensitively and expressively played.

Never heard of Tveitt (or any Norwegian composer for that matter, except Grieg :) ). Can definitely hear the Nordic sound, perhaps with a little impressionism a la Debussy mixed in.

13. juufa72

juufa72 New Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Grocholski
    First Name:
    Julius

English?

14. Rachfan

Rachfan Active Member Piano Society Artist

Chief Operating Officer, retired
    Last Name:
    April
    First Name:
    David
    Hi arensky,

Very mice playing! This is probably one of Tveitt's better pieces. It has many interesting and colorful harmonies. I do find though that for the most part his music is a bit of an acquired taste. Thanks for posting it.

Nobody wants to go out on a limb, so here's how I think Tveitt would be pronounced:

T'vay-td. It's easier than Rak-man-yeen-or-phff-phff. :lol:

David

15. pianolady

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    Ok, I give up. Who's that?

16. Rachfan

Rachfan Active Member Piano Society Artist

Chief Operating Officer, retired
    Last Name:
    April
    First Name:
    David
    Hi Monica,

It's Rachmaninoff, but don't feel bad, as I always have to explain my dry humor jokes to my wife too. :)

17. pianolady

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    Hi David,

It occurred to me after I posted that last comment, that maybe you meant Prokofiev. I was close... :lol:

(p.s. I many times have to explain my jokes too.)