Thank you to those who donated to Piano Society in 2017.

Tveitt - Hardanger Tunes Completion

Discussion in 'Submission Room' started by techneut, Oct 5, 2009.

1. techneut

techneut Active Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    As Felipe would say, This Is Not Bach :wink:
    This drunken brawl completes my set of Geirr Tveitt's 50 Hardanger Tunes. Things are getting royally out of hand in this tavern, so I am not too worried about a couple of questionable notes and the massive clipping at the end (mind your speakers...) No music for the faint-hearted. It is written above the score: This song was said to have ended with something being crushed, and this is how this arrangement is thought to have been ended.

Tveitt - 50 Hardanger Tunes - 50 - Home Brew ( 3:21 )

2. pianolady

pianolady Monica Hart, Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    OMG! :shock:

Man, that was quite an ending - glad I didn’t listen to this right before going to bed!!

So, okay - needed a little time to digest that - but yes, we wouldn’t know if you made mistakes or not in some of those places. The only thing that bugged me a little was at the beginning – the repeated note was not steady and even all the time. I’m sure it's hard to do... but...well…wow…that was some piece! Congratulations on the complete set.

3. felipesarro

felipesarro New Member

System Analyst, for now
    hi, Chris!

are these clusters at the end? have I told you that the earliest cluster I could find was in Alkan's music? I'm too Alkan addicted anyway... :roll:

this tune reminds me of Villa-Lobos "Trenzinho Caipira", and somewhat the first piece from Godowsky Java Suite (this repetitive, massive style).

PS: you know... sometimes my recordings clip in FFFF passages. but I can't put the microphone farer (there is no space in my room :roll: ). I could set the mic sensitivity for low, but that's not good (the recording sounds dry and not "aired"). so I have to remove the clipping in my WaveEditor. the result... well... I miss the true impact of the sound but... at least I don't have sound speakers complaining. hehe
    I did this in the Schumann's 7th variation.

4. techneut

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    Thanks Monica and Felipe. Indeed the repeated note is rather haphazard in the beginning. I only realized it when editing the recording. It gets much better in the places where I only used the LH thumb (against the advice of my teacher, but this seems to work for me). I think I'll have redo this.

The chords at the end are fore-arm clusters. It feels very strange at first to lean forward and crash your entire arm into the keys triple forte. But great fun once you get the hang of it. Makes a lovely noise and would look impressive on video, shame I have no camera. The one thing to be wary of is not smashing my elbow against the sideboard, as the last chord is supposed to include the topmost note.

5. mgasilva

mgasilva New Member

Physician
    What an ending indeed! It sure makes a lasting impression. Are the other 49 of these already up?

6. techneut

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    Yes :D

7. Rachfan

Rachfan Active Member Piano Society Artist

Chief Operating Officer, retired
    Last Name:
    April
    First Name:
    David
    Hi Chris,

I meant to listen to this recording a few nights ago, but it slipped by me, so I caught up to it just now. That ending--wow! This does not sound like an easy piece to learn and perform. In its own way it reminded me just a bit of "Winnsboro Cotton Mill Blues" by Rzewski. To me it suggests the sounds of machinery, including the "crushing" in the ending. But I might be the only one perceiving it that way. Regarding the big forearm tone clusters, I believe that the American composer Henry Cowell pioneered that device. Anyway, very well played!

David

8. techneut

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    Thanks David ! Indeed this is not too bad except for the instability of the repeated note in the beginning.

Ah, the Winnsboro Cotton Mill Blues.... now there's one piece I desperately want to play. Bit of a handful though......

9. arensky

arensky New Member

Musician
    Home Page:
    BRAVO! :D 8)

Recording this whole set is quite a monumental achievement. Not only for you, but for Tveitt, who deserves much more more recognition than he has. Hats off to you, Chris. Hope YOU had a beer after this one. :wink: Excellent playing!

BTW there were people who lived down the street from me, occasionally they would fly the Norwegian flag; I learned the other other day that their name was Tveiit; I wonder where they've gone. A singer friend of mine is Norwegian American ( from Minnesota) and he told me how to pronounce the name; "Tvat", long "a" sound. I seem to remember a discussion about that.

Quite a handful, I would say. Go for it!

10. musicusblau

musicusblau Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

High-school-teacher with subjects music and german
    Last Name:
    Pfaul
    First Name:
    Andreas
    Bravo, Chris, I really like that piece and your performance and I LOVE that end! :wink: (But after listening I somehow have the feeling, that I need my harmless and peaceful Einaudi-piece. :lol: Or let´s say my good old Bach. :wink: Or a Song Without Word. :) I´m just very versatile concerning music, and that´s what I have to be as a music-teacher of secondary school in times of today.)

Have my congratulations on your CS! It´s really an achievement!

11. techneut

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    Thanks so much Chase ! Of all my stuff here, this set is the one I am (most) proud of even though there are some items I feel need to be redone, and nearly all have some or other minor thing to gripe about. The spirit mostly seems right somehow, I feel like I do have a bond with this music. How strange that we seem to be the only non-Norwegian pianists making a case for Tveitt's music ! Maybe it's not profound enough for people weaned on Chopin and Bach :wink: And maybe the beery humor of many of these items is not to everyone's taste.

And actually, the V should be pronounced W so you'd be calling him a twat :wink:
    According to my half Norwegian teacher if should not be prounounced tvat or twat, but tweit. However I don't know how to explain the 'ei', it's a vowel not found in English, I think.

Thanks Andreas. It's a far cry from Einaudi indeed. To each hs own... I like a bit of rough and tumble now and then, and will turn to Bach and Mompou for introspection.

Have my congratulations on your CS! It´s really an achievement!

Quite a handful, I would say. Go for it![/quote]

12. musicusblau

musicusblau Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

High-school-teacher with subjects music and german
    Last Name:
    Pfaul
    First Name:
    Andreas
    Techneut wrote:
    Oh, me too, btw.

I have to say Bach is the best introspection I can imagine and the best music principally I can imagine!
    And of course, my playing of an Einaudi-piece just for relaxation here and there does not change anything in my attitude concerning this and my favorisation of the good old traditional music of baroque, classical and romantique epochs.