DONATION STATUS
Needed before 2017-12-31
$ 1,000
So far donated
$ 1,025
Thank you to those who donated to Piano Society in 2016.
A big thank you to Project Petrucci who has helped us already meet our 2017 goal!

Trill speed

Discussion in 'Technique' started by Society1, Mar 18, 2012.

1. Society1

Society1 New Member

Regarding trills in Classical Period piano works, where the tempo is 132 beats per minute and above, in the margins, I see the trills written as 8 thirty-second notes (semidemiquavers) for the right hand.

However, at the tempo mentioned above, about 18 notes per second are required. Is this physically possible for a pianist?

If not, what is the alternative rhythm for the hand that plays the trill?

Doesn't anyone know of a documented top speed of notes per second in piano playing?

2. musical-md

musical-md Active Member

Physician
    Last Name:
    del Rio
    First Name:
    Eddy
    Generally speaking, in Classical literature there is no need to play measured trills. Play them freely.

3. Society1

Society1 New Member

"play them freely"

If there are not 2 thirty-second notes for each sixteenth note, then what would the rhythm be?

4. rainer

rainer New Member

All Eddy is saying is that the "margin suggestion" to play the trill as demisemiquavers should be taken with a pinch of salt.
    If you are saying that the right hand has to play this trill while the left hand has ordinary semiquavers, then I can see your problem. You may not want to play the trill as semiquavers also, but do they really need to be in a simple ratio? If so, I suppose you could try 3 trill notes for every 2 semiquavers, giving a speed ratio of 1.5 instead of 2, but ideally your brain should be able to instruct your hand to play the trill "as fast as possible" without any well-defined speed ratio.

No general advice on this issue will be applicable universally, there will always be exceptions. Would you like re-ask your question giving a reference to a specific place in a specific piece?

5. musical-md

musical-md Active Member

Physician
    Last Name:
    del Rio
    First Name:
    Eddy
    An irregular grouping.

6. techneut

techneut Active Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    I would not worry too much about how many notes you play in a trill. The important thing is that they be even, and consistent.

7. Society1

Society1 New Member

Just before viewing the latest replies, I downloaded a recording and heard the solution suggested: 3 RH notes vs 2 LH notes. I can't see any other way to make the trill sound even with conscious control.

Thanks to all for the excellent assistance.