DONATION STATUS
Needed before 2016-12-31
$ 2,500
So far donated
$ 805

Too many beats?

Discussion in 'Repertoire' started by John Robson, Dec 16, 2008.

1. John Robson

John Robson New Member Piano Society Artist

Retired
    Last Name:
    Robson
    First Name:
    John
    I'm sorry that I can't scan this measure, but I'll try to explain where it is and what the problem is for me. It's the Brahms Rhapsody, Op. 79, No. 1 measure #26. There are 5 beats in the lowest voice of the RH: a tied eighth note(F#), quarter note(F#), quarter(A#), eighth(F#), and two quarters(G). I hope you can find it. This equals 5 beats instead of four. Is this a misprint? If not, can anyone explain this to me? It's probably something simple that I'm overlooking.
    Thanks,
    John

2. pianolady

pianolady Monica Hart, Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    Do you mean this measure?

I tried to add the counts in red, but not sure if you can see them.

[​IMG]

3. John Robson

Retired
    Last Name:
    Robson
    First Name:
    John
    beats

Thanks, Monica. Your notation is very clear. My edition is very different and confusing to me. Mine is written in the bass clef only and the stem on the A# goes down as do the other notes I listed making them appear to be like a continuation of one voice which would contain five beats within that measure. I hope that makes sense to you. I've tried and tried to decipher what my edition means. Your copy makes perfect sense of it. I'm going to print it out so I can remember if I ever go back to that spot which is repeated exactly the same way. I wish I could scan it for you, but to do that I have to rip the page from the book. :( I have a new scanner, but I didn't realize I couldn't scan using a book as I could with my old one.

4. pianolady

pianolady Monica Hart, Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
  5. John Robson

Retired
    Last Name:
    Robson
    First Name:
    John
    beat up!

Thanks again, Monica. I like the IMSLP edition the best. It is extremely clear. However, I have still a different version. Don't worry about it. I understand what the problem was for me originally. I still believe the Schirmer Edition, which I have, is very confusing. I don't know why they put those measures in the bass clef. It really does look like there are five beats. All I had to do was reverse the stem of one quarter note to point up, and it becomes clear. But the notes are so jammed together that it's impossible to make the stem go up. I just have to imagine it.....

I've used my scanner twice before, but today I can't get it to work at all. I want you to see what I'm talking about so you won't think I'm totally insane, only slightly. :)