Thank you to those who donated to Piano Society in 2017.

Today's new recordings :D

Discussion in 'Submission Room' started by techneut, Nov 1, 2007.

1. techneut

techneut Active Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
  2. nathanscoleman

nathanscoleman New Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Coleman
    First Name:
    Nathan
    Ok, I'm waiting for pills (oh blessed addictions) to kick in, and am listening to this ENORMOUS posting. I mean, seriously, pace yourself, dude.

The Grieg is very nice, I loved several of these ... but wanted to go back and relisten. For some reason, however, all 19 are strung together. I know some of these are short, but for convenience sake don't you think you could split it up?? Anyway, *raising arm* on to the shostakovich!!

3. juufa72

juufa72 New Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Grocholski
    First Name:
    Julius

Ha! You think this is a large dumping of recordings? You should have been here a year ago when Mr. Techneut compiled about 20 recordings into one session. (Albeit some where short, but still that was a lot...I also believe that's where the "record" stands--no pun intended)

4. robert

robert Active Member Piano Society Artist

Home Page:
    Last Name:
    Stahlbrand
    First Name:
    Robert
    I just love the Shostakovich preludes and are currently in the process of listening to all his Symphonies (there are 14) in my car to and from work. You did a wonderful job on these Chris. Your Bach P/F are very good as well and so is the re-take of the Grieg Norweigan melodies. A pleasure to listen to!

5. techneut

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    Sorry, no can do :lol:

I thought about that, and it is what we usually do. But I think they are really too short to stand on their own and I did not want so many tiny mp3's. It is a shame that mp3's can't be indexed like CD's.

6. techneut

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    Re-take :shock: This is a different set which I had not recorded before. You were maybe thinking of the similar Op.17 set I did earlier this year.
    Thanks for the feedback 8)

7. alf

alf Active Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Bertazzi
    First Name:
    Alfonso
    For complete sets of short pieces in just one mp3 file, a cue file could be included separately in the table for the download. Nowadays, many media players can read cue files.

8. techneut

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    Hmmmm yes, I see I have some reading up to do on this. Thanks for the tip.

9. alf

Last Name:
    Bertazzi
    First Name:
    Alfonso
    Only the schmaltzy Grieg bored me. :lol:

It strikes me how you can learn so fast and so good in such a short timespan!

By the way, which Bach edition do you use (no edition wars this time :lol: , just for curiosity's sake)? Is really the E flat minor P&F in that key rather than D sharp minor?

Re Shostakovich, congratulations on those two. The E minor P&F is one of the pillar of the set. Great grasp on the double fugue. Just as a sidenote, the first four notes of the G major Prelude always reminds me of the introduction of Stars and Stripes Forever.

10. techneut

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    I have Henle Urtext. Yes may it's D sharp... I suppose music-theroretically it does matter, but I tend to hear precious little difference between the two :lol:

Thanks ! This set has so many highlights. I await with trepidation the moment I need to tackle fugues 12 and (especially) 15 :shock:

I had never thought about the Stars and Stripes, but now you mention it ! Could well have been an intended allusion to tickle the powers that be. I always think of the battleship Aurora and the revolutionary tunes of the 11th and 12th symphonies. This pair is pure agitprop in the best Soviet tradidion.

11. alf

Last Name:
    Bertazzi
    First Name:
    Alfonso
    I don't know very well Shostakovich's music, aside opuses 34 and 87, but I suspect he was very fond of quotations. In Op.34/18 I've just discovered a major Mozart quote, though dissimulated by a ritenuto and being in a secondary line (find it!). :)

12. John Robson

John Robson New Member Piano Society Artist

Retired
    Last Name:
    Robson
    First Name:
    John
    today's recordings

Chris, you outdid yourself again. I can't believe you've learned that much in such a short time. I've never played the Grieg, so I can't say much except I liked it. Your Bach is almost always flawless. You're the expert in that category.

I recently learned the Op. 87, Nos. 3 and 4 myself. I thought you would be posting them soon. :) I was trying to get Fuge III up to tempo when my hand started going. I love both of these just like I love almost all of Shostakovich Op. 34 and 87. The third fugue would be even more energetic if you played it up to tempo. All of these are more difficult than they sound, and you deserve a pat on the back for accomplishing them so quickly. Keep posting the Shostakovich. I love them. Great job!

I hope to work on a few more of Op. 87 as soon as my hand is better.

13. robert

robert Active Member Piano Society Artist

Home Page:
    Last Name:
    Stahlbrand
    First Name:
    Robert
    Ah, oh, yes, hm... :oops:

14. techneut

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    Re: today's recordings

Too much praise really John ... But well appreciated nonetheless :D
    It is a common misconception though that I am learning all this stuff on-the-fly. All of this I have played for many years, but I did spend a lot of time polishing them up for performance.

Indeed this should officially go much faster. Would probably take many months to accomplish that... I have to say that S's metronome marks are often way too fast for my taste (even if I could play them :lol: ) and this seems fast and furious enough to me. A bit shaky though - I am not entirely happy with it. But I had to let it go. There is so much more to do...

I hope you hand gets better soon. Seems we will work in parallel on the Op.87 set. How this music grows on you !